Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 196319 times)

Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #675 on: 27 August, 2016, 06:14:29 pm »
Entered.

« Reply #676 on: 28 August, 2016, 11:58:19 pm »
Unfinished business to settle...I'm in  :thumbsup:

« Reply #677 on: 29 August, 2016, 10:37:23 am »

Unfinished business to settle...I'm in  :thumbsup:
  Don't stop at a pub!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #678 on: 29 August, 2016, 02:18:33 pm »
As a DNS last time, unfinished business as well...

Entered!!!!

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #679 on: 30 August, 2016, 11:58:51 am »
"Unfinished business to settle...I'm in"

"As a DNS last time, unfinished business as well...

Entered!!!!
"

I have your entries - along with several others! You'll all be receiving confirmation emails shortly.

Andy Corless

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #680 on: 30 August, 2016, 12:54:23 pm »
"Unfinished business to settle...I'm in"

"As a DNS last time, unfinished business as well..

Unstarted business.....  really fancied this year's ride but couldn't hack it as well as Crackpot DIY and Highlands. Roll on 2017. Thanks for putting it on again.

Andy Corless

« Reply #681 on: 03 September, 2016, 02:32:51 pm »
Thanks again to all those that have shown interest and volunteered to lend a hand for the second running of the Mille Pennines 1000. A few more details below:

Entry fee of £55 (£57.50 when entering online with paypal) includes, but not limited to:

• Brevet card with detailed route-sheet
  • 3rd party insurance for UK based riders whilst participating in the event
  • Breakfast on the morning of the event (Friday 07 July 2017)
  • Breakfast on the morning after the event (Monday 10 July 2017)
  • Basic sleeping facilities, food & drink and showers at the night control (passed through at about 282 km; 605 km & 876 km)
  • Bag drop from Bispham to the night control
  • Validation with AUK and ACP for successful riders
  • Any photograph’s taken by the organiser’s during the event
  • Goody bag including commemorative medal; water bottle and T-shirt.

Entry fee doesn't include:

Travel expenses incurred travelling to/from the event start/finish

Hotel bookings for nights before, during or after the event (n.b. if you arrive back at the Bispham control during Sunday night or in the early hours of Monday morning you can sleep there at no extra cost if you don’t feel like driving home afterwards)

Any travel expenses incurred due to you having to abandon the event (taxis/trains etc)

Commemorative Event cycling top (optional, priced at £36.99 - see event website for more details).

Spending money

------------------------------------------------

Pre-event timetable:

August 2016: entries opened

December 2016: 1st route check. Controls confirmed

May 2017: final route-check and controls re-confirmed

June 2017: final route-sheet and event info’ issued to entrants

As ever, the above is a simple timetable and are not to be treated as deadlines.

You can again enter online or through the post. Online entry here: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-62/

Those that finished this year will be pleased to know the commemorative water bottle has just arrived. The T-shirts and medals are on order. All will be returned to successful riders with the validated brevet cards later this year.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines

[/list]

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #682 on: 08 October, 2016, 10:48:02 am »
After much reflection on my failure to finish this year I am in for next year. Just entered on line and am now committed.
I have thought about what I did wrong and what I did right. Hopefully I will get round and not pack softer the hard start to the second day like last time.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #683 on: 09 October, 2016, 09:26:03 pm »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Lovely rolling terrain over the high ground on the last day

« Reply #684 on: 10 October, 2016, 04:45:40 pm »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Lovely rolling terrain over the high ground on the last day

What size (Fixed) gear were you rolling Jonah?

simonp

« Reply #685 on: 10 October, 2016, 06:07:33 pm »
What ever gear he says multiply it by 2/3 and you'll have something useable.

:P

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #686 on: 10 October, 2016, 09:24:03 pm »
Just discussed with my wife the possibility of me riding this next year. She was very receptive to the idea. Think I may have to enter. She pointed out that I've already lost 19lbs in preparation for the hills and that I'd better make sure I keep up with the hill reps. I wonder how she will fell about my need for a nice dynamo and light set as well.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #687 on: 11 October, 2016, 08:19:27 am »
Gets me thinking. Hill reps or track tonight? Hill reps I think. How many times up Streatley?

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #688 on: 11 October, 2016, 12:32:04 pm »
That's me entered :)
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Andy Corless

« Reply #689 on: 13 October, 2016, 12:25:57 pm »
"Hopefully I will get round and not pack softer the hard start to the second day like last time."

The hard start to the second day remains the same, but the stage distance has been shortened (from 362 to 323 km). I have your entry! Entries filling up again rapidly!

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Andy Corless

« Reply #690 on: 15 November, 2016, 03:59:09 pm »
Whilst it's quiet I thought I'd let you all know (or those that are interested anyway) how the planning for next year's event is going. The first provisional check of the new route for next year's event took place last weekend, and surprisingly it came up just short at 991 km. There'll be a bit of tweaking to get it to 1000+km.

Whilst doing some digging I came across a new video posted on youtube by Damon Peacock which can be viewed at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUc53aIfd40

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #691 on: 15 November, 2016, 04:47:29 pm »
Back out to Lockerbie?

« Reply #692 on: 15 November, 2016, 05:47:54 pm »
An additional control at Allendale Town would bring up the distance a little - it makes for a better crossing of the Tyne and A69 at Haydon Bridge, too - that dash along the A69 was fucking awful.

https://goo.gl/maps/8NtxckkwkDM2

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #693 on: 15 November, 2016, 06:23:38 pm »
Please take us past Garsdale Head rather than over the top to Keld. Might be some more KM in it as well  :thumbsup:

« Reply #694 on: 15 November, 2016, 06:37:23 pm »
There's a railway station at Garsdale Head, so getting to Wensleydale by public transport is possible.

I did wonder when looking at the event, if it wouldn't be a better idea to just have the Askrigg control as start/finish, as that would do away with bag drops, and the attendant problems of getting those bags back to a start/finish. In an ideal world the control would also be near a 24 Hour supermarket.

Ultradiscostu

• Stand Up And Ride
    • My blog
« Reply #695 on: 03 December, 2016, 01:04:27 pm »
Hello all. Been looking at potential events for 2017 on the ElliptiGO. It was a toss up between this and LEL. I like a challenge and love Andy Corless routes. Pendle600 stripped me to my core (DNF with only 50k remaining), and finished over time on Heartbeat400 this year. So I figure MP1K finish will wipe the slate clear and I might actually finish an Andy Corless event!! Here's hoping 3rd time lucky :-D. Let the training begin! I might even have to get myself in a wind tunnel having read about the conditions experienced this year.
Push your limits and never be afraid to dream big. Ignore the naysayers and GO for it!

www.ultradiscostu.co.uk

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #696 on: 03 December, 2016, 01:37:34 pm »
There's a railway station at Garsdale Head, so getting to Wensleydale by public transport is possible.

I did wonder when looking at the event, if it wouldn't be a better idea to just have the Askrigg control as start/finish, as that would do away with bag drops, and the attendant problems of getting those bags back to a start/finish. In an ideal world the control would also be near a 24 Hour supermarket.
I did wonder this myself, about the start location, but we do not know the limitations on booking venues, trying to find over 100 bed spaces in Askrigg could be a challenge, but in Blackpool no problem.

Phil W

« Reply #697 on: 03 December, 2016, 06:15:14 pm »
Hello all. Been looking at potential events for 2017 on the ElliptiGO. It was a toss up between this and LEL. I like a challenge and love Andy Corless routes. Pendle600 stripped me to my core (DNF with only 50k remaining), and finished over time on Heartbeat400 this year. So I figure MP1K finish will wipe the slate clear and I might actually finish an Andy Corless event!! Here's hoping 3rd time lucky :-D. Let the training begin! I might even have to get myself in a wind tunnel having read about the conditions experienced this year.

Good luck Stu your training will most likely be an uphill struggle :-)

« Reply #698 on: 03 December, 2016, 07:04:32 pm »

I did wonder this myself, about the start location, but we do not know the limitations on booking venues, trying to find over 100 bed spaces in Askrigg could be a challenge, but in Blackpool no problem.

There were very few who slept at all at Bispham. There was no accommodation before the event, and few finishers before daylight on the last day.

Bag drops mean lots of loading and unloading, they need a van to transport the bags, the size of the bags has to be policed, or specific bags used, as at LEL. If riders pack, they're faced with a choice of carrying their own bags back to the start, or waiting for them to arrive back there in the van.
If the ride revolves around a single location, then it doesn't matter how much stuff the riders bring. Some will park up a vehicle with all sorts of goodies, or even sleep in it. Likewise, if they pack, their stuff is all in one place, and they can choose their next action without waiting for stuff to go back to the start.

The Three Coasts is an example a ride with a single centre. The Askrigg outdoor centre is an excellent facility, there's a campsite right next door as well. https://askrigg-camping.com

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #699 on: 03 December, 2016, 07:23:14 pm »
I think the majority of riders slept in Blackpool / Bispham the night before the event. I don't camp so the site you mention, although fantastic, would not meet my requirements.