Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 197906 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #900 on: 14 July, 2017, 10:29:25 am »
Hi all, took me a little while to get a YACF account set up.  I rode most of this on my own but the highlights were chatting with others at the controls and along the way.  I definitely need to get back to Yorkshire more often, the scenery was stunning.

If anyone is interested, I've written up my ride report here: http://www.christillapaugh.com/2017/07/millie-pennines-1000km-audax.html

Thanks to Andy for putting on the event and a massive thanks to the guys helping out in the kitchen. Those cups of tea after a long day out were a massive morale booster and the beans on toast in the morning set me up for the days ahead.
Interesting report.  :thumbsup:  This is a line you don't expect to see:
My wife finished the MP last year and she thought I’d be ok so that was confidence boosting.
!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #901 on: 14 July, 2017, 10:36:39 am »
My wife finished the MP last year and she thought I’d be ok so that was confidence boosting.
!

Chris's wife Sarah Perkins is a bit special - in her first year of audaxing last year she got 93 points
Right now she's on 98 points, with 2.5 months to go to end of season.
Go Sarah!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #902 on: 14 July, 2017, 11:04:42 am »
!

Chris's wife Sarah Perkins is a bit special - in her first year of audaxing last year she got 93 points
Right now she's on 98 points, with 2.5 months to go to end of season.
Go Sarah!  :thumbsup:

She's at 11 mins 25 seconds on the video of last year's event.

« Reply #903 on: 14 July, 2017, 02:06:23 pm »

!

Thanks!  I've spent all this year trying to keep up with her on audaxes and am just now getting to be at her level.  Earlier this year she had time to get most of the way through fixing a puncture at the top of one of the hills on the Around Weald Expedition perm before I'd caught up. 

« Reply #904 on: 14 July, 2017, 03:23:33 pm »
Sarah made the Brimstone look quite easy (it's a shorter one of course!)

« Reply #905 on: 14 July, 2017, 03:49:09 pm »
Only time I’ve beaten Sarah is when she was ill on the Dean! She whups my ass on EVERY ride…

« Reply #906 on: 14 July, 2017, 10:37:42 pm »
I am the tall chef from day #1. I had the pleasure to cook great meals for you using first-class ingredients. It was a challenging job in the kitchen, I can tell you that. But it was fun and my wife helped me (reluctantly in the beginning, but she started to like it later on, especially after Dean came back with a few Newcastle ales from a local shop).

On day two, the first man brought his own fresh broccoli to pimp the pasta a little bit. Here he is enjoying the meal with shoe engineer and menu writer Steve (middle) and Dean (left). Similar photo has been posted earlier, but this one is better IMHO  ;D

I might RIDE the tour next year, as Andy C. transferred my start fee to 2018 (as a reward for my outstanding helper services :facepalm:).

It was a very nice experience and a great prolonged weekend for me and my wife. We did a 20k hike with about 700 m of climb and did some tourist stuff like Herriot Museum in Thirsk + Lake District. Very nice.

I hope to see some more English riders for the most popular German 1000k in Bavaria, which typically takes place during the midsummer weekend 2018 (Thu-Sun). It is tough but not as hard as this one. Swisshat has been terrorised by me badly and he is so scared that he will definitely come  8) For details ask me - or Swisshat.

Cheers, Andreas
Don't mention the war ;)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #907 on: 15 July, 2017, 12:03:22 am »
are 'coherent worms' some Audax lingo I've not learn't yet 

They are now!

Coherent worms and almost in focus pictures about this stonker now available here:
https://smethblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/14/mille-pennines-2017/

Hing

• fabulous follies
« Reply #908 on: 15 July, 2017, 01:32:46 am »
Hi All. I haven't caught up with everyone's updates and ride reports above yet. Its been an extremely busy week since. But here' a link to my report below. I hope it provides an insight to ElliptiGO and Audaxing. Ultimately we all face exactly the same challenges on a ride this extreme. huge congratulations to everyone that completed the Mille Pennines. Chapeau!!!

http://ultradiscostu.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/mille-pennines-1000km-audax-elliptigo.html

Great writeup Stu, the quiting and rerouting i can sympathise.

if we dig really really really deep we might have finished in time, but it may lead to injuries as well as psychological burnout when the body and mind are forced too hard

*just which way you sent the calf?
weird and wonderful, fabulous folly

« Reply #909 on: 15 July, 2017, 09:02:12 pm »
What a ride! I'm still recovering and have abandoned my hopes of doing a gentle 200 this weekend.

My brake disc isn't looking too happy after all the hills:

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #910 on: 15 July, 2017, 09:10:48 pm »
I have just checked, and I think that the ride took in no less than 7 of the hills mentioned in the '100 Greatest Hill Climbs': Winlatter, Hardknott, Wrynose, Buttertubs, Rosedale chimney, Sleights Moor, and Crawleyside.

No wonder it was tough!
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #911 on: 15 July, 2017, 10:47:20 pm »
How many people had knee problems on this ride?  My right knee started aching toward the end of day 2, and a couple of other people mentioned the same thing... I'd be interested to know just how many knees succumbed to the hills!

« Reply #912 on: 16 July, 2017, 12:11:10 am »
Mine were sore, left one still was today when I went for an easy ride. I keep having flash-backs of my lung-busting climb of Rosedale, I reckon that finished the knees off. Also I'm still lighter than I was when I started the MP despite eating a huge amount all week!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #913 on: 16 July, 2017, 07:44:23 am »

They are now!

Coherent worms and almost in focus pictures about this stonker now available here:
https://wordpress.com/post/smethblog.wordpress.com/180
I cannot read this blog. Am I the only one? URL cannot be reached by me.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #914 on: 16 July, 2017, 10:35:47 am »

They are now!

BB

I think this is it:

Nice write-up, Smeth, and it was nice to bump into you both over your dinner of fish and chips at the services on the M40!

Smeth

« Reply #915 on: 16 July, 2017, 10:39:05 am »

They are now!

BB

I think this is it:

Nice write-up, and it was nice to disturb your dinner of fish and chips at the services on the M40!
Thanks zakalwe, I can read the original link on all devices but am blundering a bit blog-wise. I'll edit the original as well.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Smeth

« Reply #916 on: 16 July, 2017, 11:41:03 am »

it was nice to bump into you both over your dinner of fish and chips at the services on the M40!

Ditto. If nothing else the Harry Ramsdens c**p served to highlight the wonder of the cod at Robin Hood's Bay.

« Reply #917 on: 17 July, 2017, 12:52:39 pm »
I have just checked, and I think that the ride took in no less than 7 of the hills mentioned in the '100 Greatest Hill Climbs': Winlatter, Hardknott, Wrynose, Buttertubs, Rosedale chimney, Sleights Moor, and Crawleyside.

No wonder it was tough!

Did you not do The Stang over to Barnard Castle this year? That was in last year's route and also in the 100 Greatest Climbs book.

To be a little pedantic, you did Buttertubs from the wrong side for the book  ;) (I've been in the Dales on holiday in June, with the book helping me plan a few painful rides).

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #918 on: 18 July, 2017, 11:12:36 am »
How many people had knee problems on this ride?  My right knee started aching toward the end of day 2, and a couple of other people mentioned the same thing... I'd be interested to know just how many knees succumbed to the hills!

My knees are fine but i still have tingleing in my hands and feet from 75 hours of (almost) non-stop cycling. I got this after LEL2013 and the numbness didn't go from my hands until Christmas.
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #919 on: 18 July, 2017, 11:49:13 am »

No wonder it was tough!

Did you not do The Stang over to Barnard Castle this year? That was in last year's route and also in the 100 Greatest Climbs book.

To be a little pedantic, you did Buttertubs from the wrong side for the book  ;) (I've been in the Dales on holiday in June, with the book helping me plan a few painful rides).

Some people took an alternative route at the beginning of day 2, which went left toward Tan Hill after the Buttertubs (instead of right and down Swaledale).  I did the official route and went up The Stang, though :)

« Reply #920 on: 18 July, 2017, 12:15:37 pm »

No wonder it was tough!

Being even more pedantic, Wrynose only counts from t'other direction. And I doubt you went up Sleights Moor unless you got lost (that's the climb from Grosmont to the top of Blue Bank).

But you've missed Egton Moor and Feetham as well as the Stang. I don't know what they call Feetham in the book, but it's the steep little lane after Low Row over to Arkengarthdale.

miyataman

• think of something funny
« Reply #921 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:06:42 pm »
Hello to everybody, this is my first post in this forum.
I had a lovely time doing the ride (I obviously already have forgotten that I wanted to quit on the evening of day 2), everybody was nice and friendly. Thanks to Andy for all the work and thanks to all the other participants and volunteers for making this an unforgetable event. I forgot all your names, though, I am hopeless with names anyway and sleep deprivation doesn't help much either.
I am the german guy with the green Miyata  with the S and S frame couplings mostly cycling on his own (because I was so slow)
In spite of a triple crankset, I had to get off the bike on the very steep climbs, so hats of to everybody who was able to ride those climbs. The good thing about pushing your bike is having a break for your muscles and knees, and you are not much slower anyway. My knees didn't hurt after the ride, and I took some pictures while pushing the bike.
I will ride a more detailed ride report with some pictures, but that's it for now.
Thanks again to everybody, I really enjoyed the ride!

Smeth

« Reply #922 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:28:34 pm »
I had a lovely time doing the ride (I obviously already have forgotten that I wanted to quit on the evening of day 2), everybody was nice and friendly. Thanks to Andy for all the work and thanks to all the other participants and volunteers for making this an unforgetable event. I forgot all your names, though, I am hopeless with names anyway and sleep deprivation doesn't help much either.
I am the german guy with the green Miyata  with the S and S frame couplings mostly cycling on his own (because I was so slow)
In spite of a triple crankset, I had to get off the bike on the very steep climbs, so hats of to everybody who was able to ride those climbs. The good thing about pushing your bike is having a break for your muscles and knees, and you are not much slower anyway. My knees didn't hurt after the ride, and I took some pictures while pushing the bike.
I will ride a more detailed ride report with some pictures, but that's it for now.
Hi, remind me... daughter in Plymouth? If so we rode up Whinlatter together. I deserted you at the cafe and plodded  on. Glad you enjoyed it and hope to see you in UK again. Sorry if mistaken identity.

miyataman

• think of something funny
« Reply #923 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:32:11 pm »
Hi, remind me... daughter in Plymouth? If so we rode up Whinlatter together. I deserted you at the cafe and plodded  on. Glad you enjoyed it and hope to see you in UK again. Sorry if mistaken identity.

Oiver was the one with the daughter in Plymouth riding the yellow bike. Oiver didn't finish the ride because of problems with his achilles tendon.

Smeth

« Reply #924 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:46:58 pm »

Oiver was the one with the daughter in Plymouth riding the yellow bike. Oiver didn't finish the ride because of problems with his achilles tendon.
Aha, sorry to hear that miyataman. I guess you and I yo-yo'd around on day 2,  you seemed to be going pretty well to me. All the best anyway.