Author Topic: RAAF race across France  (Read 5364 times)

Re: RAAF race across France
« Reply #25 on: 08 December, 2017, 04:27:29 pm »
TCR has three or four control points to send riders into particular regions and over well known mountains. It allows organiser to see really how things are going and add in a sort of cut off for the rider going beyond full value (although there's nothing to stop them continuing even without a stamp). As a by product it keeps the riders from doing completely off the wall routing whilst still allowing some freedoms of route choice maintaining the self sufficient ethos of the event.

I see this as something different to tcr. It's not self sufficient* it's about speed. I'm sure the average speeds on raam are higher than the trans America (I've not compared) The multiple controls keep everyone on exactly the same route. Yes you can track by gps and disqualify afterwards if they go off route but this way if you miss a control you know you are out.

Perhaps the organiser is a raam veteran and wants something on his doorstep

Edit - just seen on the website he is a raam rider rather than a tcr type

* there's a self sufficient option but it doesn't seem to be the main target audience for the event
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

whosatthewheel

Re: RAAF race across France
« Reply #26 on: 08 December, 2017, 05:08:36 pm »

* there's a self sufficient option but it doesn't seem to be the main target audience for the event

Agree...