Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 127552 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #425 on: 18 November, 2016, 09:11:36 am »
Received a friend request from someone who was at an event I attended last Saturday.  We have mutual acquaintances (expected considering event/venue), but have never actually met.  And this from a mature (in years) person. 

???

People are weird, and even weirder online.  Present company excepted, of course - you're all weirder in real life.  :-*
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #426 on: 23 November, 2016, 07:48:42 pm »
That's it.  I'm going to write a browser plugin that pops up a login box over the top right of the page you're viewing, then after a couple of seconds pops up another larger, even more obnoxious "you need an account" dialog with a "no, fuck off" button that merely causes it to shrink down to occupy the bottom quarter of the screen.

Unless it's a dailymail.co.uk address, in which it just gives you a blank page with a login prompt.  I'm not a complete monster.

Once we can view the entire fucking web like that, Facebook itself should be redundant.   :demon:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #427 on: 24 November, 2016, 02:47:14 am »
I, on the other hand, am going to track down the people responsible for the crash-o-matic memory hog that is Facething's wanky iOS app, and cut them up with a chainsaw.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #428 on: 10 February, 2017, 02:28:04 pm »
It was a toss-up between here and "What I have learned today", but:

https://techcrunch.com/2009/09/10/facebook-now-lets-you-fax-your-photos-i-have-no-idea-why-anyone-would-want-to-do-this/

I suppose it might be big in Japan.  Or in an alternate timeline where Biff Tannen is president of the USA.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #429 on: 08 March, 2017, 12:14:33 pm »
Yesterday Farcebok appeared to go on an advertising-announcement blitz.  I have been offered motor-cars from every major Japanese manufacturer, three exclusive homes in exclusive developments, a hair styling experience in Saffron Walden, half a dozen shit video games and some bucket of wank from "Conservative Woman", which is a fail on so many levels it makes me shudder.

Oh, and a used tractor. £9,250.  Bargain.

« Reply #430 on: 08 March, 2017, 12:16:50 pm »
Yesterday Farcebok appeared to go on an advertising-announcement blitz.  I have been offered motor-cars from every major Japanese manufacturer, three exclusive homes in exclusive developments, a hair styling experience in Saffron Walden, half a dozen shit video games and some bucket of wank from "Conservative Woman", which is a fail on so many levels it makes me shudder.

All I get [quick look] is two cycling holidays and a picture of a dog in specs.

I have a friend who wants a tractor.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #431 on: 09 March, 2017, 10:27:41 am »
Some outfit calling themselves"CarsSales" are the purveyors of tractors.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #432 on: 09 March, 2017, 02:26:58 pm »

All I get [quick look] is two cycling holidays and a picture of a dog in specs.

I have a friend who wants a tractor.
I can get you one for £9,750. Tomorrow.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #433 on: 19 April, 2017, 07:05:08 pm »
...wishing FB had a 'don't look at POBI' option, at least for the next 50 days.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #434 on: 19 April, 2017, 07:16:34 pm »

You could  use the ' Dont  look at FB' option.  Works for me.   :D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #435 on: 19 April, 2017, 07:21:14 pm »
Whereas a friend is complaining 'FB's gone all political' and I'm inclined to point out that some are political because they CARE about what's happening.

I'm not that interested in politics but I fear for the future under our current Führership.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #436 on: 19 April, 2017, 08:02:58 pm »

Not long after signing up I expressed a wish for a rounders filter, which drew a certain amount of flak and/or bewilderment from "World" Series-obsessed USAnians.

« Reply #437 on: 19 April, 2017, 08:30:21 pm »
You could  use the ' Dont  look at FB' option.  Works for me.   :D

Trouble is too much of the rest of my life seems to be organised through FB.

Whereas a friend is complaining 'FB's gone all political' and I'm inclined to point out that some are political because they CARE about what's happening.

Don't disagree about the caring. It's just that there's a lot of heat and very little light in most cases.
Better stop now or this will be banished to POBI as well.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #438 on: 20 April, 2017, 10:22:59 am »

Don't disagree about the caring. It's just that there's a lot of heat and very little light in most cases.
Better stop now or this will be banished to POBI as well.
I'd agree with both of you.

One actual positive feature of FB is the Hide Post option (I think it's called!). You often don't need to see a single Reply to realise there will be too high a heat:light ratio!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #439 on: 20 April, 2017, 07:17:30 pm »
Meanwhile:

I can't figure out if this is a satirical/humourous site: https://www.facebook.com/uktactical/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #440 on: 20 April, 2017, 10:16:49 pm »

Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #442 on: 30 August, 2017, 08:24:46 am »
The supposition being that the Federal Govt. - they being American - would be a more trustworthy custodian of everyone's personal data, pictures, vapourings.  Yeah, sure.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #443 on: 30 August, 2017, 08:58:32 am »
Agree, we are too far down the road now.  Especially as AI is so close to governing our collective decision making. 

Data is quickly becoming the 21st-century version of oil – a resource essential to the entire global economy, and the focus of intense struggle to control it. Platforms, as spaces in which two or more groups interact, provide what is in effect an oil rig for data. Every interaction on a platform becomes another data point that can be captured and fed into an algorithm. In this sense, platforms are the only business model built for a data-centric economy.

More and more companies are coming to realise this. We often think of platforms as a tech-sector phenomenon, but the truth is that they are becoming ubiquitous across the economy.

Shopping ain't never gonna be like this again..

And politics? Post Brexit and Trump, anything could happen.  It's most interesting.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #444 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:17:33 pm »
Does anyone use Faecebook on a real computer these days?  MY EYES!  It's tolerable on a phone except for the vacuous "Roger, Rain is forecast for tomorrow, Stay dry" sort of crap that appears in your feed.  However, on a laptop or PC, there is an absolute tidal wave of spam, rubbish and pointless lists overwhelming the screen and even the adblocker chokes on it.

It's worse than a local newspaper site - these work quite well if you have an adblocker that suppresses the "turn off your adblocker" banners  ;D

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #445 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:28:09 pm »
I, on the other hand, really dislike accessing Bookface on mobile devices and much prefer using a proper computer.  I run adblock, etc.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #446 on: 13 September, 2017, 04:23:39 pm »
I ONLY see Facebook on my laptop cos I don't have a smartphone.

« Reply #447 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:20:45 pm »
When I bother with Facebook, I tend to use a desktop.

« Reply #448 on: 23 September, 2017, 08:23:21 pm »
Facebook can't hide behind algorithms

First, the company admitted a “fail” when its advertising algorithm allowed for the targeting of anti-Semitic users.
Then on Thursday, Mark Zuckerberg said he was handing over details of more than 3,000 advertisements bought by groups with links to the Kremlin, a move made possible by the advertising algorithms that have made Mr Zuckerberg a multi-billionaire...

..Facebook’s wild profits - $3.9bn (£2.9bn) between April and June this year - are due to that automated process. It finds out what users like, it finds advertisers that want to hit those interests, and it marries the two and takes the money. No humans necessary.
But unfortunately, that lack of oversight has left the company open to the kinds of abuse laid bare in ProPublica’s investigation into anti-Semitic targeting...

....His [Zuckerberg's] naivety about the power of his own company sparked an immense backlash - internally as well as externally - and an investigation into the impact of fake news and other abuses was launched.
On Thursday, the 33-year-old found himself conceding that not only was abuse affecting elections, but that he had done little to stop it happening.
"I wish I could tell you we're going to be able to stop all interference,” he said.
"But that wouldn't be realistic. There will always be bad people in the world, and we can't prevent all governments from all interference.”
A huge turnaround on his position just 10 months ago...

.. the political mood in the US taken a sharp turn: Big Tech’s algorithms are out of control.

..“All of these problems are the result of the fact Zuckerberg has created and profited from a system that has grown to encompass the world… and harvest information from more than two billion people."

Oops!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #449 on: 24 September, 2017, 07:24:47 am »
Does anyone use Faecebook on a real computer these days?  MY EYES!  It's tolerable on a phone except for the vacuous "Roger, Rain is forecast for tomorrow, Stay dry" sort of crap that appears in your feed.  However, on a laptop or PC, there is an absolute tidal wave of spam, rubbish and pointless lists overwhelming the screen and even the adblocker chokes on it.

It's worse than a local newspaper site - these work quite well if you have an adblocker that suppresses the "turn off your adblocker" banners  ;D

Judicious use of Facebook Purity can get rid of most of the crap Mr Zuckerberg and his gribleys try to throw at you.  I've been using it on a Windows laptop for most of the past month and it's mostly an improvement over the shitty iOS app which devours memory like a hungry tiger and crashes for no readily apparent reason about once every fifteen minutes.