Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 127561 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Are you on Facebook?
« on: 03 February, 2012, 06:04:57 pm »
As it's becoming the de facto way to sign into things (I remember MS Passport  ;D), are you in or still resisting?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2012, 06:06:58 pm »
Facebook, do I need it  ???

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2012, 06:07:10 pm »
No.

Anyone who needs to know where I am or what I'm doing knows already.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2012, 06:54:11 pm »
I have a false ID on it. Well, TBH it isn't false, it just isn't me, or a human being.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2012, 07:03:14 pm »
As it's becoming the de facto way to sign into things (I remember MS Passport  ;D), are you in or still resisting?

Annoying.  I recently signed up to Netflix free trial, and you had to work quite hard not to sign up with FB, and share the experience with all your facebiends*...

* yup created a new word...  ;)

(Have a semi-neglected FBk accnt.)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2012, 07:05:08 pm »
Dez suggested to me that I might like to find music by signing up to something called "Spotify" but it wouldn't let me create an account without being a facebook person.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

rogerzilla

« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2012, 07:20:38 pm »
Mrs Z is a fan of FB but it smells far too fishy for me.

« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2012, 07:30:30 pm »
No. Too complicated, and anyway, why?
Probably succumb as magnoliettes grow, to allow correct fatherly snooping...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2012, 07:58:21 pm »
Yes, with enormous reluctance. Purely because a local club uses it as their main web presence - it seems churlish to not participate.

But I hate it. I can't even post from my Linux box, the default Wall display setting is pants, and I don't know how to turn off the endless notification thingies I get. [The list of apparently simple things - that I simply cannot see how to do - is rather long. ]

Fingers crossed, I _THINK_ I've avoided sharing any sensitive info (like my address book!)

Why is there no (sensible) home page for my account?  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

gordon taylor

« Reply #9 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:09:54 pm »
I'm one of the global 800,000,000 who have a Facebook profile.

I'm enjoying it ATM.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #10 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:15:14 pm »
i wasn't convinced at first but i fine it a good way off keeping in contact with more remote friends plus we now have an Audax Ecosse group which is where the movers and shakers in the world of Scottish long distance cycling get together to discuss the big issues.  If you're not there you are square.

« Reply #11 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:16:25 pm »
In the year the year 2020 a Facebook account became mandatory for all EU citizens in security check-ins for international flights, and for validation of personal identity in financial transactions...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:18:40 pm »
I use it with pleasure.  My friends and family are all over the world, so it's a handy way of staying in touch.

I have my privacy settings as tight as they allow, double check this regularly and have switched off all the crap I don't need.

It's fun, though you do have to keep on top of the security  :)

gordon taylor

« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:22:55 pm »
BTW, most teenagers I know consider 500 FB "friends" to be pretty normal.

Those of us who are tiptoeing into the FB world are a million miles behind the curve.

« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:27:16 pm »
Yes, but only so I am able to help admin my workplace's  FB page. I have never posted anything on my own wall and don't intend doing so.

« Reply #15 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:51:22 pm »
I am. I have friends and family spread around the world and I like to see how they are doing. I would never have seen my nieces if it weren't for fb. I'm careful what I post - I am aware that there are a lot of nannies on there who are shockingly indiscreet and I don't want to be googled by a future boss. I also am fairly careful not to upset my fundy Christian relatives. I like being able to play scrabble with clarion (and others) when I'm babysitting miles away :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:07:03 pm »
*strokes Stallman beard*

I have so far been able to resist the appeal of online scrabble and being able to see people's photos that are hidden behind a login page.  I occasionally rant/grink at people using facebook canonically in an official organising capacity, as it inherently excludes people with perfectly legitimate privacy concerns.  To their credit, the local cycling campaign seem to have got the point.  But the rot really set in when the LGBT groups started doing it.   :facepalm:

I am, no doubt, losing out socially as a result, but that's nothing new.  Zathrus no mind, Zathrus used to it.

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:15:32 pm »
Farmville.  WTF?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #18 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:28:38 pm »
*strokes Stallman beard*

I have so far been able to resist the appeal of online scrabble and being able to see people's photos that are hidden behind a login page.  I occasionally rant/grink at people using facebook canonically in an official organising capacity, as it inherently excludes people with perfectly legitimate privacy concerns.  To their credit, the local cycling campaign seem to have got the point.  But the rot really set in when the LGBT groups started doing it.   :facepalm:

I am, no doubt, losing out socially as a result, but that's nothing new.  Zathrus no mind, Zathrus used to it.

<shing!> Here, have a katana.   You're going to need it.

AndyH

« Reply #19 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:30:21 pm »
Tried once, privacy was not sufficient, gave up.

« Reply #20 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:50:17 pm »
Simply CBA.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2012, 04:36:19 am »
I'm on Facebook and use it quite a lot. I became convinced when I found back a lot my fellow peace activists of the Balkan war (served in a peace project there in '94). I use it for friends, photography and for organising cycling stuff.
I'm also on the Russian version, vkontakte. Two years ago I participated in a 1200 which was entirely organised via this medium.

Rapples

« Reply #22 on: 04 February, 2012, 09:45:30 am »
Yep, did it to keep an eye on Miss Rapples.

We now use it for Cycling Club communication via a group, it seems to work quite well.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 04 February, 2012, 10:00:19 am »
I hate Facebook, but friends and family like it, so I want to check out what they've been saying  ...when I CBA.  So far I'm just in the "Yes, but I never log in or anything" camp.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #24 on: 04 February, 2012, 10:01:43 am »
I have friends and family spread around with whom I like to keep in touch with, so, yes.   

I never play the games - don't really understand the point of them.   I have had my account 'hacked' once which must have been a huge disappointment to the hacker(s).

I remain concerned about the online security but I don't give away much, certainly never any banking info anywhere - cyber criminals are far too devious.