Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 127560 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #450 on: 24 September, 2017, 08:27:51 am »
I haven't been on bookface since about February, can't say I've missed it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #451 on: 24 September, 2017, 09:36:28 am »
Modo on Sugarloaf

Ferry interestink...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #452 on: 02 November, 2017, 09:03:52 am »
Looks like someone or something on Farcebok can't tell the difference between racist hate speech and a quote from a song lyric by notable Nazi sympathiser Tom Robinson, as they've removed a comment I made referencing "Power In The Darkness" :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #453 on: 02 November, 2017, 09:32:22 am »
Context doesn't matter any more, it's the BAD WORDS that count. C.f. To Kill a Mockingbird, Biloxi, etc.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #454 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:04:14 pm »
That was my suspicion.  They presumably objected to the n-word and possibly the shortened form of "Pakistani" as well.  Idiots.

« Reply #455 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:19:30 pm »
Much of F$B Book and Tw@tter is run on algorithms. Which is why the news feed sucks, because F$B Book's programming douche bros think they know best about what I want to see in the news feed.

These days, I really can't be arsed to log in any more.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #456 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:33:09 pm »
... notable Nazi sympathiser Tom Robinson...
Really?? I've always liked the guy :(

That's another 6Music programme I'll have to boycott ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #457 on: 02 November, 2017, 08:00:41 pm »
Much of F$B Book and Tw@tter is run on algorithms. Which is why the news feed sucks, because F$B Book's programming douche bros think they know best about what I want they want you to see in the news feed.

FTFY

Twitter's nowhere near as bad, because you don't have to use their user interface.  With a third-party client you can avoid all the algorithmic order and promoted tweet rubbish, as well as most of the UI terribleness.

Unfortunately it's still full of Brexit and Trump.

« Reply #458 on: 02 November, 2017, 08:04:04 pm »
... notable Nazi sympathiser Tom Robinson...
Really?? I've always liked the guy :(

That's another 6Music programme I'll have to boycott ...

That's MrL expounding Fake News, on the strength of the lyrics of the song

What we want is
Freedom from the reds and the blacks and the criminals
Prostitutes, pansies and punks
Football hooligans, juvenile delinquents
Lesbians and left wing scum
Freedom from the niggers and the Pakis and the unions
Freedom from the Gipsies and the Jews
Freedom from leftwing layabouts and liberals
Freedom from the likes of you

taken out of context, you could be forgiven for thinking that nice Mr R was a bit odd. Carry on though and you get

Power in the darkness
Frightening lies from the other side
Power in the darkness
Stand up and fight for your rights

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #459 on: 03 November, 2017, 08:36:16 am »
Thanks Ham. Probably a worthwhile post, even though my post wasn't sincere!

(For Avoidance of Doubt: Tom Robinson seems a fine fellow to me, he's entertained me for years, on-and-off ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #460 on: 03 November, 2017, 11:17:01 am »
Yeah, I know, didn't really think so, I was using it as an excuse to Listen Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qev84xYA7w

If one were needed. Really takes me back.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #461 on: 04 November, 2017, 10:47:10 pm »
I've not been on bookface since February, have I missed anything?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #462 on: 07 November, 2017, 05:08:57 pm »
https://gizmodo.com/how-facebook-figures-out-everyone-youve-ever-met-1819822691

Most of this isn't news, of course, but one thing stood out at me:

Yes, Facebook functions as a reverse phone-number look-up service; under the default settings, anyone can put your phone number into the search bar and pull up your account.

Nice...

« Reply #463 on: 20 November, 2017, 09:09:01 am »
My Farcebook activity is limited to scanning my feed. I had an invite to participate in a survey "to provide feedback", I thought, why not? Started off OK - "What's your overall level of satisfaction?" Easy, very dissatisfied. Onto the next, How do you evaluate your familiarity with News? Again, fairly easy, probably not the very most familiar, let's choose the one from the top.

The rest of the questions were all designed to test that familiarity. I scored 7/12.  Which is actually 100% for news items and 0% for stuff like What's Prince William's official residence and who got knocked out in football.

I started thinking that was useless then realised that the questions were so specifically targeted news/gossip that actually my 100% dissatisfaction with facebook correlating with 100% informed on the news may well mean something to them at the end of the day.

« Reply #464 on: 21 November, 2017, 06:34:31 pm »
From Person of Interest

It was invented by the CIA!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPirWp2oAJ4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPirWp2oAJ4</a>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #465 on: 19 December, 2017, 12:59:21 am »
Much of F$B Book and Tw@tter is run on algorithms. Which is why the news feed sucks, because F$B Book's programming douche bros think they know best about what I want to see in the news feed.

Thread with a particularly tragic example of why this sort of ranking algorithm is unfit for purpose[1]: https://twitter.com/Hellchick/status/942863353403150336

Of course, this isn't all that different from what Facebook have been doing to non-Facebook-users for years.  I remember someone's new partner disappearing from an online community and assuming they'd had an acrimonious breakup that I wasn't privy to (and carefully tiptoed around the subject).  A year or so later I discovered that they'd just switched to doing everything on Facebook instead.

I'm not sure what comes next, though?  A mass return to the open standards of the early noughties seems unrealistic:  The appeal of Facebook was that everyone was on it, and that monolithic simplicity is only likely to be achieved by some tech/media company who happened to be in the right place at the right time.  And while long-form blogging and realtime chat are easy, the world[2] now expects their social network to come with photos and video, and making that sort of thing user-proof takes serious infrastructure.  (Case in point: The perennial threads about how to embed images in YACF posts.)

Can the Next Big Thing (whatever the specifics may be) *not* turn into another Facebook?  Is there a way to make this sort of thing happen *without* selling eyeballs to advertisers?

[1] Except where that purpose is maximising engagement with advertising.
[2] Particularly the next billion internet users, who aren't fluent in text media and are primarily going to be accessing the network with low-end smartphones.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #466 on: 19 December, 2017, 01:24:54 am »
I have just wished my great-uncle happy 104th birthday on Facebook...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #467 on: 19 December, 2017, 02:19:34 pm »
For those of use with growed up family who have been thrown out of left home and moved away, FarceBark is an excellent way to see more of what they are up to than one previously would[1]. It's also allowed me to be reconnected with some of my extended family (whether I've wanted to be or not!) and even a few friends from way back when. We've also created little community of ex internal newsgroupers from work where we can continue our particular brand of irreverence and silliness. The rest I just ignore as best I can.

1. Although not always as good thing. one of my nephews ended up setting up a new sanitised account for family and blocking us all from his original presence after the downward trend plunged into uncharted regions over one weekend. I still need a regular mind bleaching after some of the stuff I read that weekend! :sick: :o :facepalm: :-X
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #468 on: 19 December, 2017, 05:35:43 pm »

Thread with a particularly tragic example of why this sort of ranking algorithm is unfit for purpose[1]: https://twitter.com/Hellchick/status/942863353403150336

Of course, this isn't all that different from what Facebook have been doing to non-Facebook-users for years.  I remember someone's new partner disappearing from an online community and assuming they'd had an acrimonious breakup that I wasn't privy to (and carefully tiptoed around the subject).  A year or so later I discovered that they'd just switched to doing everything on Facebook instead.

I'm not sure what comes next, though?  A mass return to the open standards of the early noughties seems unrealistic:  The appeal of Facebook was that everyone was on it, and that monolithic simplicity is only likely to be achieved by some tech/media company who happened to be in the right place at the right time.  And while long-form blogging and realtime chat are easy, the world[2] now expects their social network to come with photos and video, and making that sort of thing user-proof takes serious infrastructure.  (Case in point: The perennial threads about how to embed images in YACF posts.)

Can the Next Big Thing (whatever the specifics may be) *not* turn into another Facebook?  Is there a way to make this sort of thing happen *without* selling eyeballs to advertisers?

[1] Except where that purpose is maximising engagement with advertising.
[2] Particularly the next billion internet users, who aren't fluent in text media and are primarily going to be accessing the network with low-end smartphones.

I'm using (and running a small instance of) Mastodon. It's like twitter, but linked servers so no central place. Each server can have its own rules about what can and can't be posted. You could easily set up a yacf instance for example. You can follow people on other instances (fairly) easily, although it can be a bit clunky.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #469 on: 19 December, 2017, 05:44:57 pm »
I'm using (and running a small instance of) Mastodon. It's like twitter, but linked servers so no central place. Each server can have its own rules about what can and can't be posted. You could easily set up a yacf instance for example. You can follow people on other instances (fairly) easily, although it can be a bit clunky.

Mastodon isn't going to solve the problem any more than Diaspora or Dreamwidth did, for more or less the same reasons:  Re-inventing the Last Big Thing in a form that has geek appeal, but neither compelling new features nor an established userbase isn't going to result in a mass migration.

Which isn't to say that they aren't good tools to serve specific communities, just like SMF can be.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #470 on: 30 April, 2018, 08:31:21 am »
Those intolerable busybodies at the gates of Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden had the sheer nerve to ask me to provide evidence that I actually am who I tell them I am.  Scans of my phone bill and polling card left them gasping for more.  Those little pink wiggly lines on an EU driving licence are absolute buggers to reproduce in Photoshop.  Take THAT, The Man ;D

« Reply #471 on: 04 May, 2018, 09:05:30 pm »
Those intolerable busybodies at the gates of Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden had the sheer nerve to ask me to provide evidence that I actually am who I tell them I am.  Scans of my phone bill and polling card left them gasping for more.  Those little pink wiggly lines on an EU driving licence are absolute buggers to reproduce in Photoshop.  Take THAT, The Man ;D

You're a cereal liar.

Chris S

« Reply #472 on: 04 May, 2018, 10:07:32 pm »
NOT ANYMORE!  :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #473 on: 04 May, 2018, 10:32:06 pm »
You're a cereal liar.

What, he repeatedly claims he eats Bran flakes but you found Frosties in his kitchen cupboard instead?

You might be unfamiliar with Mr Larrington's name on Facebook...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #474 on: 04 May, 2018, 10:41:54 pm »
I'm on Facebook.

It does what I want.  I understand the risks (and am understanding more every day).

While people are worrying about facebook their personal data is being harvested elsewhere and everywhere.

There's almost nothing you can do about it unless you go offline altogether and revert to a barter economy.

After 100 years of being manipulated by right-wing Newspaper millionaires we're all suddenly horrified that we may be being manipulated by the Internet. 

Wise up.  Choose a variety of news sources.  The Internet provides a democracy of news information that we never had before.

Example.  Syria.  UK press make Assad the Enemy #1  but why?  We don't care about Syrian Children.  We're happy to watch them drown in the Med.

Maybe it's all about illegal Israeli Oil.

https://yournewswire.com/cheney-rothschild-murdoch-co-start-drilling-for-oil-in-syria/

This may or may not be true but at least it's possible to go beyond what the Daily mail tell me is the truth.

Of course it's about Oil.  It's always about Oil.  Assad is a twat but no more of a twat than the Saudi Sheiks.

Just assume you're being lied to by the mass media.  Do your own research, stop buying the Daily Mail and Google a variety of news sources.  What you find may shock you.  It's about Oil.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.