Poll

Have you signed up to Mr Zuckerberg's walled garden?

Yes
No
Yes, but the details are false
Yes, but I never log in or anything

Author Topic: Are you on Facebook?  (Read 127561 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Are you on Facebook?
« Reply #475 on: 04 May, 2018, 11:30:56 pm »
Posted on a computer created by and powered by oil.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #476 on: 05 May, 2018, 07:59:44 am »
Getting fed up of the constant "join Instagram" and "connect with dead-eyed android Zuckerberg" spam from Faecebook themselves (on mobile, I never see any other adverts on FB, which is amazing since FB is unusably spammy on a real computer).   It really is shite.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #477 on: 05 May, 2018, 11:16:53 am »
On a Real ComputerTM this Unit uses and recommends the FB Purity browser plugin.  Quashes advertising, allows you to set "Most Recent" as your default view option, can filter out cat-related contact and much, much more.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #478 on: 05 May, 2018, 12:26:18 pm »
On a Real ComputerTM this Unit uses and recommends the FB Purity browser plugin.  Quashes advertising, allows you to set "Most Recent" as your default view option, can filter out cat-related contact and much, much more.
Thankyou!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #479 on: 05 May, 2018, 01:09:34 pm »
On the phone do not have the app.  I just use the standard website which defaults to "m.facebook". 

« Reply #480 on: 23 September, 2018, 03:26:10 pm »
Dez suggested to me that I might like to find music by signing up to something called "Spotify" but it wouldn't let me create an account without being a facebook person.
My Spotify is linked to my Facebook account but I don't think you need to have an account

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #481 on: 04 October, 2018, 01:00:08 pm »
I think most of us suspected this already, but it's nice to see it tested:  https://gizmodo.com/facebook-is-giving-advertisers-access-to-your-shadow-co-1828476051

« Reply #482 on: 04 April, 2019, 09:24:39 pm »
This isn't FB, this is the ad services that track you and deliver tailored content. You can disable cookies, but often that diables functionality too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #483 on: 04 April, 2019, 11:23:58 pm »
Which isn't to say that Facebook aren't tracking you too:  Every site with one of those little "Like us on Facebook" buttons causes your browser to load an image from Facebook's servers, revealing any identifying features of your browser's profile[1], even without the presence of a Facebook login cookie.  If at any point that browser *does* log in to Facebook, they know all that was you.  Or if you go to some public Facebook pages without logging in, they can make inferences about where in the social graph you might be.

(See also: Twittergram, GooTube, etc.)

[1] *This* build of *this* version of *this* browser with *these* addons on *this* OS version with *these* other cookies present at *this* IP address... it can be surprisingly unique.

« Reply #484 on: 05 April, 2019, 04:05:26 am »
Given that I don't seem to be doing the sleep thing right now, I might as well explain a bit more.

There are multiple ways that your day to day passage through the WWW is tracked, that can result in the semi-spooky adverts that you describe, there are two prime methods.

The first, most likely option is one of the ad giants. you visit page A from WeSellStuff.com, and the 3rd party service embedded in the page makes a note of what you are looking at. When you visit site B that also uses that service, the advert space on the page retrieves the data stored on your computer in cookies, looks for an appropriate advertiser on its books for those products and displays it. One of the biggest is doubleclick.net - what a surprise, it's google. As you point out, they will not know that you bought the item, they just know that it is relevant to you which makes the ad more likely to be valuable to the advertiser.

The second, more tricksy method is web beacons, or some variant thereof. If you use Yahoo, then you will have agreed to their use as part of your TOS. This uses clever tech to identify your passage around the net, such as image/script loading that Kim mentions. Yahoo are (or at least, were?) one of the worst offenders in this respect. You can block some of the worst aspects of this behaviour by blocking 3rd party cookies. Facebook tried with the Facebook Beacon, overstepped the mark because it couldn't be blocked and got their wrists slapped a few years back. It is likely that they have some sort of tracking tech in play, but it may be confined to those who use the Facebook API, eg using third party games within FB (but, may not as well).

You can see what cookies are being set by any site if you use something like ublock origin (click on the "Shield" to see any page data), which by default will kill any of the more aggressive tracking and can be modified to reject more if you want. As, indeed, can your browser, just by throwing away all cookies after a session. Want to see just how many cookies you have? In Chrome, go to settings, advanced, privacy and security, content settings, Cookies, See all cookies and site data. Wot a lot there are. Apart from doubleclick, quantxxxx is another AI tracking giant.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #485 on: 05 April, 2019, 09:11:50 am »
There's a nifty Firefox add-on called Lightbeam that presents first- and third-party cookies as a graph and shows the connections between them all.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #486 on: 28 January, 2020, 02:30:57 pm »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #487 on: 28 January, 2020, 04:27:41 pm »
I did have an account, but suspect it had been hacked, because individuals whom I had contacted
on it (maybe once or twice) years ago and had not had any connection with since, were sending
me emails, which all appeared similar in construction (a hyperlink, sometimes with a strikethrough) and
nothing else, apart from my first name. The same thing definately happened on my former yahoo
account.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #488 on: 28 October, 2020, 10:53:07 am »
Oculus owners told not only to get Facebook accounts, purchases will be wiped if they ever leave social network.  That’s me off their list of potential customers then.  Not that I was actually on it in the first place.

« Reply #489 on: 28 October, 2020, 12:12:42 pm »
A no-lube antitrust probe is the least that FuckerBorg and his walled garden deserves.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

« Reply #490 on: 20 December, 2022, 09:20:37 am »
The new mobile site doesn't work on Firefox, so that's me off Faecebook by default.  I think they employ all the shitty coders that even eBay won't recruit.

« Reply #491 on: 20 December, 2022, 12:00:39 pm »
The new mobile site doesn't work on Firefox, so that's me off Faecebook by default.  I think they employ all the shitty coders that even eBay won't recruit.

Same as Twitter and YouTube: "If ain't broken, keep throwing cludged scripts at it until it is a FUBARed CPU-nomming mess."

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

« Reply #492 on: 20 March, 2023, 10:01:51 am »
They pulled the new mobile site but now it's back and worse than ever, pushing unblockable advertising shite.  That's it, I'm out.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #493 on: 20 March, 2023, 11:09:42 am »
How in the name of Bog and all Her unholy angles did The Algorithm conclude that I have shown an interest in “Starter home”?  Yes, just the one.

« Reply #494 on: 20 March, 2023, 11:13:15 am »
I've an old account. I never log on, I only created it to get a refund from a dodgy dealer, years ago.

FB used to pester me with lists of people 'who share my interests' but they have have given up now.
Move Faster and Bake Things

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #495 on: 20 March, 2023, 11:21:58 am »
Pretty much my only reason to still be there is
Family
Cycling
Motorsport
Messenger

I probably could drop it TBH

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #496 on: 20 March, 2023, 11:30:32 am »
I only rejoined coz all the gen about Battle Mountain is there.  Well, that and being beastly to purveyors of ill-considered shitverts.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #497 on: 20 March, 2023, 12:25:25 pm »
I just use FB Marketplace to sell the furniture and stuff that I restore - every other feature is switched off . . . and I only access it using a browser on the PC that I don't use for anything else and a "seeded" email addy.  Seems to work for me.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #498 on: 20 March, 2023, 12:49:33 pm »
I do use it quite a bit. I was suckered in about 8 years ago when I stood for the Greens and that was their communication method.

Some years ago we used it (with the help of another forummer) to track down a couple of college friends whom we hadn't seen since 1977 and with whom we now keep in regular contact.

I also use it for other stuff, but I always wash my hands afterwards.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

rogerzilla

« Reply #499 on: 20 June, 2023, 12:17:34 pm »
When they say your account is deleted after 30 days, do they really mean it, or do they just sell everything on the dark web?

Also, they ask why you're leaving so I selected "I don't feel safe".  I don't feel safe from Facebook itself and its creepy-as-shit tracking (plus the unusable mobile site) but they just suggested ways to block Nasty People.  No, Zuck, YOU are the problem.