Author Topic: WillyWarmer 2019  (Read 7250 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: WillyWarmer 2019
« Reply #25 on: 21 January, 2019, 03:28:33 pm »
Solid words Pip!

I would say my only gripe was against those 1 or 2 who thought half-sized mudguards were acceptable gear given the conditions—are they ever? 

Or maybe the fault lies in those drafting the wheel of said riders...  ;)

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #26 on: 21 January, 2019, 04:24:31 pm »
Solid words Pip!

But I will be investigating how to enhance my Crud MK2's to provide even more protection to those behind me.

A strip cut from a plastic milk bottle and duck tape work. Light enough on Cruds that are usually pretty delicately poised.

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #27 on: 22 January, 2019, 05:15:29 pm »
Solid words Pip!

I would say my only gripe was against those 1 or 2 who thought half-sized mudguards were acceptable gear given the conditions—are they ever? 

Or maybe the fault lies in those drafting the wheel of said riders...  ;)

I appreciate the winky face but the accused overtook me and pulled right in front of me, taking me off guard with a splatter.  I am not going to brake and lose my momentum from a bit of mud.

markldn

« Reply #28 on: 25 January, 2019, 09:29:14 am »
20-25cm snow dumped on Chalfont I heard from a local!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #29 on: 26 January, 2019, 09:56:12 am »
20-25cm snow dumped on Chalfont I heard from a local!

more like 4 cm

markldn

« Reply #30 on: 27 January, 2019, 01:49:03 am »
Maybe 20cm to an Englishman!

(Me being Canadian)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #31 on: 28 January, 2019, 09:20:58 am »
Maybe 20cm to an Englishman!

(Me being Canadian)

20 cm in southern England would make the headlines for a couple of weeks non stop... schools wouldn't reopen until March...

« Reply #32 on: 29 January, 2019, 07:50:40 pm »
I had a bit of cunning plan to ECE my Willy W from outskirts of Chippenham (133k each way) and set off before midnight and stopped at the McDs just beyond Theale for a black coffee and sustinance. 
Arrived at the start to be "awarded" a 7am start sticker so quickly drank more coffee filled my bottle and ate a bun and some malt loaf before setting off. 
At Pangbourne I was getting humgry but stuck with CoOp produce as the rain realy kicked in. 
In Boxford a lady flagged me down who had had a puncture that she had sorted but her chain had turned its self in knots and she was getting very cold.  after sorting her chain we parted company her to Newbury to the train station and me as far as the outskirst of Lambourne where I called it a day.  After my stop to help I was not getting any warmer.  I too chose the Newbury option and a train home. 
I was a bit dejected that I had not finished or completed my EDE home either.  I reasoned on the train journey home that I had done a good deed and perhaps a 460 plus ride in January was a bit of an ask especially with the cold penetrating rain.
Thank you Paul, an excellent event...the first half I completed!

« Reply #33 on: 21 February, 2019, 08:36:29 pm »
Not a complaint, honest question (this was my first BRM): should I be worried that my card hasn't arrived yet? How long should I expect it to take?
(To pre-empt the obvious, I did buy a return envelope at the end).

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #34 on: 21 February, 2019, 09:44:30 pm »
Hi Imm, nothing to worry about. Ive had the cards back from the ValSecs but was going to wait till I had the cards back from my event earlier this month so I could process the cards for both events in one go. Hopefully ypou'll have them by the end of the month.Menwhile the validated brevets with the all important ACP validation numbers  can be found on the AUK website.