Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 10th  (Read 14156 times)

Re: Jan 10th
« Reply #75 on: 11 January, 2015, 11:17:20 am »
The Eagle has landed ...

Quote of the century  :thumbsup: I forget the other time it was used, this requires more effort than sitting on top of a V2.. Saturn V.. 8) 

It doesn't take much energy to sit on top of a Saturn V rocket. Guenter Wendt ("Pad leader" at Kennedy) was specifically tasked with sitting on top of a Saturn V as it was moved on the mobile launcher from the Vehicle Assembly Building in order to help track down and fix an alarming sway that the rocket developed whilst in motion.

Er... that's probably not terribly relevant to Steve's Jan 10th thread but I'm a Gemini/Apollo geek you see.

As for the more serious points about alcohol during Steve's attempt I'm concerned about some of the intemperate (yes, pun intended) language being used. I don't think upsetting the UMCA is terribly wise...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #76 on: 11 January, 2015, 11:43:43 am »
I know that the game is being played to UMCA's rules but I note that cycling is not on the list of sports in which WADA prohibit the 'use' of alcohol in-Competition.

I see that they have rationalised the list over the last few years and removed Petanque   ::-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #77 on: 11 January, 2015, 11:58:19 am »
The USAians proclaim the concept of free speech, so appropriate language is employed to describe the situation.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #78 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:55:37 pm »
USAnians have some peculiar notions.  Teh Roolz for the Furnace Creek 508 not only prohibit drinkohol for riders and crew but even forbid team members from wearing T-shaped shirts advertising BEER1.    Also "Hummers (any model), Ford Excursions, large “SportsMobiles,” Sprinter Vans, and motorhomes are not allowed for any purpose by anyone involved with the race", which leads me to wonder what would happen if you rocked up in a Lincoln Navigator.  And if you want to ride fixed, you have to do so on a steel frame ???

1: Sometimes known as "Canadian Sports Drink".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #79 on: 11 January, 2015, 03:33:37 pm »
"Hummers (any model)"
Seems a bit cruel to ban Hummers from their event. Although I'm slightly perturbed by the suggestion that there is more than one model of him.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #80 on: 11 January, 2015, 04:02:32 pm »
I'd suggest it would be wise to seek clarification from UMCA re: alcohol, noting that whilst the Year Record Rules are an addendum to general rules, but in being an addendum, seem to specifically state points 16 and 17 as applying, so it could be argued that where other general rules aren't specifically stated in this manner, they can't apply.  This is ambiguous and open to interpretation, however, so I feel UMCA clarification is necessary....

I'm also strongly of view that strictly applied rules usually take away common sense/reasonableness, so should only be applied based on a sensible, reasonable interpretation....I would hope UMCA hold a similar view.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #81 on: 11 January, 2015, 09:12:38 pm »
Just catching up with 10th and read the alcohol rules with interest... Will all UMCA officials be abstaining for 2015? Or is there clarification as to which UMCA officials are okay to have a drink and which are not?

« Reply #82 on: 11 January, 2015, 09:18:08 pm »
Might be time for me to reconsider the meal I was preparing for him when he's at my place then...

;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #83 on: 11 January, 2015, 09:19:09 pm »
;D

« Reply #84 on: 11 January, 2015, 10:29:45 pm »
USAnians have some peculiar notions.  Teh Roolz for the Furnace Creek 508 not only prohibit drinkohol for riders and crew but even forbid team members from wearing T-shaped shirts advertising BEER1.   

Whereas the UMCA roolz prohibit riders from wearing jerseys advertising any boozahol except BEER.

« Reply #85 on: 11 January, 2015, 11:15:21 pm »
Just catching up with 10th and read the alcohol rules with interest... Will all UMCA officials be abstaining for 2015? Or is there clarification as to which UMCA officials are okay to have a drink and which are not?

The rider and his registered crew (which in this case is one person, the Crew Chief)

« Reply #86 on: 12 January, 2015, 11:39:56 pm »
What it is like to have TG at your house when on the quest for 75,065 miles.  For certain reasons which we will not mention there is no picture of how much dinner Steve had to eat!

https://judithswallow.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/just-passing-through-with-mega-mileater-steve-abraham/

« Reply #87 on: 12 January, 2015, 11:41:02 pm »
Might be time for me to reconsider the meal I was preparing for him when he's at my place then...

;D

You know TG too well Mr Wobbly.  He did reminisce about a bottle of something on a recent LEL escapade.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #88 on: 12 January, 2015, 11:52:21 pm »
I hope the UMCA aren't looking at this thread!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #89 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:35:57 am »

The Germans consider beer to be a sports drink and I believe that it is unfair to force a person to be teatotal for a year.

That's actually only true for alcohol-free beer. In Bavaria, however, conventional beer is considered staple food. (You can, however, argue how much Bavaria has in common with Germany.)
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #90 on: 13 January, 2015, 03:01:31 pm »
The German word for "shandy" is "radler", being a form of BEER more suitable for quenching the thirst of the cyclist on a hot day than, say, a military-spec Weihenstephaner.  I suggest Steve becomes Steve von und zu Abraham for the year.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #91 on: 13 January, 2015, 03:03:39 pm »
The German word for "shandy" is "radler", being a form of BEER more suitable for quenching the thirst of the cyclist on a hot day than, say, a military-spec Weihenstephaner.  I suggest Steve becomes Steve von und zu Abraham for the year.
it was alsterwasser in when I was in Hanover.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #92 on: 13 January, 2015, 05:21:40 pm »
it was alsterwasser in when I was in Hanover.

Both are correct, but Radler is more widespread. There's also Krefelder, which is 50% Altbier (dark beer from Duesseldorf) and 50% coke.

If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #93 on: 13 January, 2015, 07:27:12 pm »
There's also Krefelder, which is 50% Altbier (dark beer from Duesseldorf) and 50% coke.

Ah! That explains something. Doesn't excuse it, but it explains it.