Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 18th  (Read 17776 times)

[HAMR] Jan 18th
« on: 18 January, 2015, 05:35:41 am »
Looks like Steve is up and cycling at about 5.30am.

I'm told there's no host booked for tonight, so that will probably be another 200 miles for him back to Milton Keynes.

Suppose the least I can do is turn out for a 20 mile ride with my group later this morning.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Jan 18th
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2015, 05:49:42 am »
HE's heading north-east at the moment so presumably following gritted roads.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2015, 05:54:41 am »

Wise move.

I have a static caravan at Bedale - it can be minus a lot overnight there at this time of year.

I understand Steve considered studded tyres, but rejected them because they would slow progress too much.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2015, 05:56:01 am »
On FB it said he's riding with hoppo today. No destination mentioned. Maybe a loop back to hoppo's?

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2015, 06:07:39 am »
On FB it said he's riding with hoppo today. No destination mentioned. Maybe a loop back to hoppo's?

I fancy riding with Steve for a stretch,  but my 10 mile pace would barely keep up with his for 200.

Which is another measure of Steve's achievement,  his mileage beggars belief, but the pace is pretty damn good as well.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2015, 07:06:01 am »
That's so true.  I'm not known for being a slouch, yesterday I went out on a main road route due to risk of the nastly invisible slippery stuff, although my route was slightly hillier than Steve's would be 1120m in 123km, I was barely quicker than he was.   And I was pretty much cream-crackered at the end of it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2015, 07:15:22 am »

Hope Yorkshire are good with their gritting then --it`s an ice rink outside this morning, rained in night, salt washed away and now -3 c , but it is a clear day  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2015, 07:56:58 am »
The tracker map shows 21 deg F where he is atm, near Thirsk. That's -6c. By way of contrast it's +3C in my garden.

Take care, Steve.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2015, 08:05:40 am »
It's already a few degrees milder further south.

Hopefully Steve will ride into daylight, even sunlight, and above freezing temperatures.

TGS

« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2015, 08:12:41 am »
He's got a tailwind again today.

2 big rides, tailwind both days, a following car for the last stretch yesterday and riding with Hoppo +1 today should give Steve a boost to propel him into next week. The team have played a blinder this weekend!

« Reply #10 on: 18 January, 2015, 08:19:06 am »
-6c in the area Steve is currently riding in according to the tracker. He has tweeted that he is heading back to home so it should be another 200+ mile day. I take my hat off to anyone who can ride 200 miles in those temps!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #11 on: 18 January, 2015, 08:32:17 am »
Curious thing on the tracker just now.  All the temperatures to the left of Steve's track were in Celsius and all those to the right in Fahrenheit.  Still v. cold whichever way you look at it.  The Vale of York can be a real frost hollow. 

« Reply #12 on: 18 January, 2015, 08:52:50 am »
I think the tracker is a bit buggy.

It gives me a script error when trying to refresh Steve, but not when refreshing the other guy.

I use a MacBook, so maybe it's coming out in favour of the American.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 18 January, 2015, 08:53:48 am »
That tracker is really weird. It mixes °F and °C willy-nilly.

« Reply #14 on: 18 January, 2015, 08:59:37 am »
At least it is blue skies and sunshine in West Yorks this morning, although it is pretty cold and there has been a dusting of snow overnight.
Chapeau to Steve for an incredible ride yesterday and hopefully he will arrive safe back in t'south tonight.
Bon chance et bonne route, chapeau.

« Reply #15 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:14:37 am »

Do you think he'll head to York and then return roughly along yesterday's route?

« Reply #16 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:17:14 am »

Do you think he'll head to York and then return roughly along yesterday's route?

He's pulled a sharp left at Knaresborough, so it look like he's heading to York.

« Reply #17 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:25:21 am »

Just debating whether to ride over to Gringley on the Hill if he'll be retracing yesterday's path.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:35:12 am »
I understand Steve considered studded tyres, but rejected them because they would slow progress too much.

Three wheels would be a better option, in that sense, but that either means darkside (for which he isn't adapted) or requires crazy cornering skills lest he fall off without the aid of ice.

An ICE VTX would certainly be my preferred option for these conditions.  Not so much if it snows.

« Reply #19 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:37:41 am »

Just debating whether to ride over to Gringley on the Hill if he'll be retracing yesterday's path.

Milton Keynes is roughly due south of York, so it would make sense if he did pick up yesterday's route, perhaps at Selby.

It's fairly flat out there, so he could make good time.

« Reply #20 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:41:55 am »

Milton Keynes is roughly due south of York, so it would make sense if he did pick up yesterday's route, perhaps at Selby.

That's what I was thinking. Might get the layers on then...

« Reply #21 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:49:49 am »

That's what I was thinking. Might get the layers on then...

He's now doing 5mph in York.

In trackerspeak, I think that indicates he's stopped, could well be planned with 100km done.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #22 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:51:43 am »
Crinklycake?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #23 on: 18 January, 2015, 09:53:00 am »
From the tracker it looks like the Punchbowl
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Phil W

« Reply #24 on: 18 January, 2015, 10:16:30 am »
You can see where he's staying each night from the calendar on the website.