Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Racing / Re: RATN 2024.
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 02:24:12 am »

She's just passed Morbihan. She's about to pass 3 more at Roemond. The winds are not in anyone's favour. But they are at least lightest during the night.

Wishing her lots of luck. I did a very similar push in 2019. I left Heerlen at about 1am, and made it to the finish at 1550.i think she's doing better than I did. I hope she has enough supplies. She posted earlier about buying some apples from a farmer. And finding a vending machine.

I should sleep. But then who will watch the dots...

J
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by CrinklyLion on Today at 02:17:15 am »
A very teeny tiny bimble round to a friend/colleague's, then out with said friend. I recently helped her to find a new bike for her kid, and then one for herself and lent her the brommie (to potentially be able to keep up with the kid practising round their local park) while she was waiting for hers to get built up and collected from the shop. We'd decided I'd collect her (since the kid is away on a trip of some sort this weekend) and she could maybe have a go at riding on a road, and perhaps explore a possible route to cycle to school.

Since they now have her bike and currently also have a very lovely loan brompton in the house, her husband came along too. Not only did we ride to school, we also carried on afterwards to the bike shop to look at Bikes and Nice Things and to have coffee and cake, before riding back. About 6annahalf miles with some cycle path and some on-road, including being overtaken by a fire engine! Also featured some traffic lights, lots of passing parked cars, a roundabout (twice) and a some right turns - not bad given she hasn't ridden in decades and I think has never really ridden on roads before. Talked about door zones, not gutter-hugging, and that there is *absolutely* nothing wrong with deciding to hop off and use pedestrian tactics on junctions that are too scary or overwhelming and yes, of course you can just pull over and get off and take a moment to think if you *are* feeling overwhelmed.

The longest non-commute bike ride *I've* done in bloody ages!!!
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Last post by CrinklyLion on Today at 01:22:34 am »
Two this week.

Tonight (well, technically last night now) I last-minute-random-picked The Sounds of The Sirens at the NCEM. Joint venture by the Crescent and the Black Swan Folk club. Ticket bought about 6:50, faffed a bit, nipped out on my bike about 20 past 7 and got there as the support (Nick Parker, google tells me, who I liked and who made me laugh) was just getting going. Acoustics in the NCEM are blinking glorious, and thoroughly suited lovely vocal harmonies and the various combinations of guitars, mandolin and piano that we were treated to by the headlining pair. Excellent banter too, and a before 10pm finish with a 5 minute bike ride home - just the ticket for a random pick to cheer me up that I was being sensible by not going up to Edinburgh for the second hometown gig on the Willson Williams tour.

The other one was the *first* hometown gig on the Willson Williams tour in Newcastle - Gosforth Civic on Thursday. Silly train-assisted gigging adventure on a school night - not sensible but worth it. They are utterly and completely glorious - I love both separately, and together they are chaoticallly splendid. I love the way that they cancel out each other's completely unwarranted imposter syndromes, and find it mildly astonishing that they actually managed to record an album together between all the bloody laughing.

I got recognised as CrinklyLion, at the merch desk, by another member of their Patreon/lockdown livestream gangs (I think it was the person we sometimes refer to as not 'the' but OUR Linda Thomson) and then a chap who looked very vaguely familiar looked at me, slightly perplexed and said 'Kath?'. Which greatly confused me initially since we were queuing at Kath Williams' merch desk... and there's only been a very limited bit of my life when *anyone* called me Kath. Kathryn or Kat, yes, Kathy absolutely never, but Kath... that was a few people in the Lancaster years...

"It is Kath, isn't it? From Lancaster?"
"You do look sort of... familiar?" (I'm atrocious at recognising people and seeing resemblances - have always sucked at the 'match the adult to their childhood photo' game)
"I'm Scott. Friend of Merry and Mike"
"erm..." (trying to work out which of my five years and three separate cohorts as an undergraduate there that would be)
Then, to the great entertainment of several people nearby in the merch queue (including our Linda Thomson) he said:
"You were Wank Woman"
before hastily adding
"...in that play with Merry"

Which is how Scott and I ended up explaining *that* moniker to Kathryn Williams and Withered Hand Dan as I paid for my vinyl. Deano meanwhile, seemed to be quietly pissing himself about it having heard before (but maybe not totally believed before?) the story about how for one tenth of my degree I spent six weeks reading a truly mind-altering volume* of Mills and Boon novels as research for a devised play about romantic fiction that me and a random American JYA student (The Merrydown-drinking Meredith) wrote and performed (despite both of us being lighting techs rather than Actors really, but there were no actors left by the time us billy-no-mates were trying to find a group to work with so we made the best of it) as a two-hander which our feminist theatre tutor, Gerry, fucking *loved* and gave us very-nearly-firsts for. I guess one of the characters I played in it was really *quite* memorable...

Turns out Scott (a singer-songwriter among other things these days and also on a train-assisted Silly Gigging Adventure far from home) is a big 'ol WW fan too and was recently an attendee on a songwriting workshop Willson Williams were both tutoring on so can indeed be spotted at about three seconds in and then a few times after in their video for "Weekend",  one of the album tracks, which they filmed at said songwriting retreat -
https://youtu.be/44sv-ZPnLuw?si=PqNLgui1dUl0ehfk

Anyway, Willson Williams. They are amazing, and you should go and see them if you can.

*no joke. Merry scored a couple of thousand of 'em from a closing down bookshop in, iirc, Morecambe. Covered half the set with them, put one on every seat in the auditorium as an audience gift, with the programme inside, and between the two of us actually read about 900 of 'em of which I accounted for about 600.
« Last post by Jaded on Today at 12:15:35 am »
but that was being frowned on in the front rows of the balcony.

One of the conditions of our licence is no standing in the balcony. So definitely no dancing!
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by citoyen on Yesterday at 11:34:23 pm »
Nice one!
« Last post by perpetual dan on Yesterday at 11:22:40 pm »
Scott Bradley's Postmodern Jukebox, in Bexhill. Very good singing and playing, and tapdancing channeling Super Mario was entertainingly odd. One for the cover versions thread. There would have been more dancing, but that was being frowned on in the front rows of the balcony.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

The Knowledge / Re: Help with frame related questions
« Last post by Blodwyn Pig on Yesterday at 11:10:33 pm »
Ok thanks Dave, out of interest, how does 1713 relate to late Jan ‘86 ?
« Last post by citoyen on Yesterday at 11:05:12 pm »
Fat White Family at Rough Trade East last week. Bloody brilliant. Just an incredible live band.

They did a live session for Marc Riley on Monday - available on iplayer and well worth a listen:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001yj64

They even had a support act - an avant garde trio called Secluded Bronte. Totally bonkers, utterly wonderful. I don't know where to begin describing them so just watch this video on youtube: https://youtu.be/-nzd5m7ZAvA?si=d0wXTV_TOcJOEh7T

Jane Weaver on Thursday just gone at Scala. Also superb. Good mix of stuff from her excellent new album and old favourites. Again, a really tight band and she seemed to be on top form, really into it. Support were Adwaith and Halo Maud, both also very good. Jane Weaver was also in session for Riley & Coe recently, still available here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001xwfz

Seeing Fat White Family again in June at the Troxy. That is going to be truly awesome.
OT Gallery / Re: Readers' Instruments
« Last post by Ham on Yesterday at 10:57:50 pm »
Ah yes, you'll be talking about the sensible option of shimming the saddle, and there I was thinking about shimming fret zero...

I would have thought it would need 1-2mm at the saddle, though.

I dun measured the clearance of 6th, string to fretboard: sub 0.5mm at fret 1 and 3mm @ 14
!st is 0 at fret 1 and 2.5mm @ 14

string to body: 6th 9.5 @ 14, 10 at the saddle
1st - 9 @ 14, 10 at the saddle

Suggests I need to raise the saddlepossiby by 0.5 more on 1st side, then tighten the truss rod as appropriate, if needed?
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Last post by citoyen on Yesterday at 10:49:40 pm »
We started watching series 2 of Blue Lights. It's good but too much character stuff, not enough plot. And by "character stuff", I mean they all appear to be shagging each other now. How dull.

Also, I've seen this story before. It's...

(click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10