Author Topic: trikeo ergo sum  (Read 4460 times)

literida

trikeo ergo sum
« on: 25 March, 2009, 08:15:49 pm »
I have a new verb in my vocabulary. No longer do I simply ride or cycle. Now I either bike, or I trike. Today I biked into Oxford, tomorrow I shall trike to the library. Triking is the new modus operandi in my modi operandi for getting from A to B, mostly via C(afe), taking up as much room as I like, waving patiently and good naturedly to the sedentary, beta-blocked, grid-locked tin boxers.

Thanks to both iddu and cycleman for loaning me trikes to trike on (or is that in, with or by? I wonder what Fowler's advises?). These have been invaluable to nail down gearing and resolve myriad little issues to the point where I'm now gagging to get one of me own.

I fear I shall now become an awful bore each time it rains until I've found the correct uniform to trike in, which also works to bike in. Looks like I've come to the right place.  ;)

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
Re: trikeo ergo sum
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:34:17 pm »
Welcome.  Of course, trickle or bike, both still cycle.

Travelling 'bent is a tricky one for clothing. Most stuff that'll work on an upright is compromised by having padding, pockets, zippers, waterproofing or vents in the wrong place.

I'm assuming your bike is DF(?)
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2009, 11:51:13 am »
what about a fully enclosed velomobile  :P. no need to worry about the rain  :demon: ;D
the slower you go the more you see

byegad

« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2009, 12:03:36 pm »
I find a lot of my biking gear works fine on my trikes.

Rear pockets should be left empty of course and if you want to carry things you need either cargo pockets on your shorts or longs or zipped trouser pockets to avoid losing the contents as you sit down.
'Special triking' clothing I use include a windproof running jacket for cooler days and in the wet a Goretex cycling jacket which was bought for DFs but has breast pockets.

When wearing shorts I wear normal underpants with a snug leg fit to avoid frightening the horses! under longs any underwear which breathes and wicks is fine.   

I certainly don't miss the padded 'nappy' shorts.

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2009, 03:01:04 pm »
I wear lightweight running tights from Decathlon: they have no padding in them and breath well.  I tend not to ride in pouring rain, so I cannot advise on that front.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a Moulton-based tandem, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, and a Scott CR1 Comp.

byegad

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2009, 04:17:20 pm »
Rain is solved for me with Rainlegs a Goretex jacket and a Streamer fairing.

literida

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2009, 06:42:02 pm »
I'm assuming your bike is DF(?)
DF and Brompton.

what about a fully enclosed velomobile  :P. no need to worry about the rain  :demon: ;D
Nor the incessant barracking!

I find a lot of my biking gear works fine on my trikes. 
That's my starting point, although rainlegs didn't work out well. If your lower legs are under a fairing that may account for it.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2009, 11:42:53 am »
Have to say that a Streamer or Zipper fairing would be high on the list of bits wot I want for recumbentificationising.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2009, 09:32:55 pm »
Have to say that a Streamer or Zipper fairing would be high on the list of bits wot I want for recumbentificationising.

Don't forget "Windwrap"!

GX

XT

« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2009, 09:39:54 pm »
One of the most useful bits of kit is a "fishing vest"

I have a Rohan one that I bought some years ago.

Lots of pockets easily accesible whilst on the road, and the right way up avoiding the contents dropping out!

literida

« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2009, 09:42:27 am »
So did you ride the trike across the shingle Cunobelin, or parachute in?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #11 on: 09 April, 2009, 09:25:19 am »

Lots of pockets easily accesible whilst on the road, and the right way up avoiding the contents dropping out!

Now I can really see the usefulness of that... but could I get away with it fashion-wise?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 09 April, 2009, 09:44:34 am »

Now I can really see the usefulness of that... but could I get away with it fashion-wise?

If one is riding a recumbent trike, then one is obviously not that worried about fashion.... ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #13 on: 09 April, 2009, 10:16:19 am »
Thanks to both iddu and cycleman for loaning me trikes to trike on (or is that in, with or by?
You're welcome, and welcome ;)

until I've found the correct uniform to trike in, which also works to bike in.
Nude - skin dunt rust ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #14 on: 09 April, 2009, 05:33:33 pm »

If one is riding a recumbent trike, then one is obviously not that worried about fashion.... ;)

This goes right back to Thomas Hiram Holding and early cycle camping. You wouldn't need panniers with a vest like that :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

border-rider

« Reply #15 on: 09 April, 2009, 05:53:17 pm »
]Now I can really see the usefulness of that... but could I get away with it fashion-wise?

No.

If I saw you, I would have to kill you.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 09 April, 2009, 06:25:46 pm »
You're looking at this the wrong way, Mal.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 09 April, 2009, 06:27:23 pm »
He doesn't scare me.  Not even wivva big gun.