Author Topic: Sinclair C5  (Read 13180 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Sinclair C5
« Reply #25 on: 16 November, 2008, 09:15:54 pm »
Good lord, it's like Robot Wars In The Community.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #26 on: 16 November, 2008, 09:55:29 pm »
Andy. Didn't you know?

We're all 'care in the community' cases on the dark side. Oh yes!

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #27 on: 26 November, 2008, 12:58:43 am »
He is clearly a complete Fruit Basket  :o

Yebbut! Imagine the look on the face of your average chav dickhead moton in his 'loweredSaxoinnit' when that thing just left him for DEAD!

I've got a couple of 12v 1/2 horsepower 800 rpm motors. Anyone fancy building a zero emission velomobile with 7spd Nexus and electric assist? Bollox to the Manchester congestion charge!

luv'n'stuff

J

Raises hand
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #28 on: 26 November, 2008, 12:23:41 pm »
Was just reading the wikipedia article for the C5 and this caught my eye:

A heavily modified C5 reached a top speed of 150 mph (241 km/h) and did 0 to 60 mph in 5 seconds taking the land speed record for an electric vehicle.

Now *that* sounds like fun!

It sounds bloody terrifying to me...

It's all very well blowing away the local chavmobiles - until you run out of juice after half a mile  ;D
Profit or planet?

c5aliveKarl

« Reply #29 on: 14 December, 2008, 02:16:18 pm »
Hi , I stumbled across this thread so thought I'd better say hello and thanks for the kind words ! The stripey C5 was a salvaged wreck ,cobbled together from scrap parts to have a bit of fun with - the fur was from cloth shop (about £20 !).

The pictured broken wheel was my own fault, I got carried away on the skid-pan...

The Sinclair c5 side of this event was organised through my "c5alive" website (C5Alive.co.uk - The place to keep your Sinclair C5 running ! C5 Parts and Accessories! ) . There are some more piccies from the day on the meetings section of my forum ;

C5alive exhibiting at Brooklands Museum - 28 Sep '08

Coincidentally I also own one of the mini-el vehicles that was mentioned earlier in this thread

My other electric trike - a 1991 El Trans A/S mini-el

I really just wanted to say thanks to all those that came over to chat at Brooklands, and
a big thank-you to whoever loaned out their crash hat so that another C5 could take part in the race.

It really was a fun day .

Lastly, if anyone wants to try out a C5 you are welcome to pop along to one of our meetings and  have a play, all the details are on my forum.

All the best, and wishing you all a great Christmas.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 14 December, 2008, 09:21:33 pm »
Hi Karl!  I was at Brooklands on the day, and it certainly looked like you were all having a great time!

Glad you've joined us :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 17 December, 2008, 11:47:54 am »
1100 Radio 4 today - programme about the Sinclair C5, it's hype & market failure.

Would have posted during, but I was busy recalculating pensions.  They're a bugger.
Getting there...

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #32 on: 18 December, 2008, 09:36:39 pm »
Thanks for the pointer, Clarion - I listened to the programme on the iPlayer.

Two thoughts struck me. The first was Sinclair's advertising about how anyone could ride it, how you could get across town for next to nothing, how you could easily travel 5 miles for minimum effort... and I kept thinking, "bicycle... check".  I think Sinclair went the wrong way with the C5 but a slow revolution in electric transport is developing pace, elsewhere in the world if not in the UK.  Pedelecs seem to be growing in numbers across Europe, perhaps it will only be a matter of time when they start making an impact here.  For non-cyclists an assisted bike that could manage the 8 mile journey to work and back would make two wheels much more attractive.

I was also amused by the outcry about how unsafe they were and how vehicles would be unable to see them.  I think Sir Clive's response was quite right but not reasoned out - "of course they can see them!"  Well, if we paint lines on the road for motorists to see, then surely they could see something 4ft high...  I find this particularly ironic as I remember seeing a C5 after its launch in the 80s and thinking automatically "that's dangerous"... and now I ride around on a recumbent trike that's lower and faster and feel much "safer" than I do on an upright.