Author Topic: Lady Vet  (Read 4743 times)

Assasin

• It can only get better
Re: Lady Vet
« Reply #25 on: 20 September, 2015, 10:07:10 pm »
It's down to Margaret that I did PBP and therefore Mersey roads 24hours stoking a tandem trike as she pointed Mark and I at each other.
RIP

It was indeed, and she was stalking us all the way around that PBP.
The phone rang as soon as our finish time appeared. a nail biter as we only had 14 minutes in hand.

I first met Margaret to talk to properly on the LEL Damon mentioned above.
I was driving one of the bag drop vans and because of her neck problems she came back with us along with the bags and a few mangled bikes in various stages. This included an overnight at a friends in Leeds with a curry and visits to all of the controls we had to collect and deliver from the following day. It would almost have been quicker to ride...

We met up in London when she and Sharon Green were part of a test of mature cyclists at Guys.
Always good company on and off the bike, i will miss her on the next Dorset coast where she usually turned up somewhere either en-route or at a control.

I will miss her.
A shining star special in her own unique way.

« Reply #26 on: 20 September, 2015, 10:30:58 pm »
Sad news. Remember riding some of LEL 2009 with Margaret - heading north in the region of the north Pennines. Strong rider, good company and always positive in her outlook. Saw and rode with Margaret a few other times too.
Condolences to family and friends. A sad loss.
Jim

« Reply #27 on: 20 September, 2015, 10:59:50 pm »
Lady Vet had the gift to put the shyest or grumpiest (or maybe just-tired) audax rider at ease and in chatty mode, thanks to her cheerful, welcoming, and specially warm human disposition.

In my personal recollections I like to remember her in official helping duties in the remarkable setting of Portland Bill, in two occasions at least, greeting and encouraging riders at the end of one of the most iconic and beautiful UK audax 'stage-legs' I treasure in memory.
Surely, I will not forget her in the following day, in both occasions and out of formal volunteering duties, welcoming with cookies and chocolate fast and slow riders (that is: for a couple of hours, at least) on the last summit of the strenuous ride.

A generous audax woman, RIP Margaret.
AUDACES FORTUNA IUVAT

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #28 on: 21 September, 2015, 12:01:56 am »
Oh no...

Such a nice lady...

I remember a few years ago we agreed to meet at a pizza place in Cirencester the night before something or other, and we put the world to rights for an hour or three..

She will be missed.

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

hillbilly

« Reply #29 on: 21 September, 2015, 07:15:35 am »
It's always sad to read when someone so energetic and full of life passes.  Margaret was a good person, very friendly and encouraging. Her presence on rides diminished over time, and given she was one of the few AUK females in the South this was more obvious, but she did still find time to hand out biscuits and a boost from the side of the road.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #30 on: 21 September, 2015, 12:29:34 pm »
Very sad news

« Reply #31 on: 21 September, 2015, 05:14:11 pm »
So so sad. As said. Before well known to hampsire riders and she always had a cheerfull smile.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #32 on: 21 September, 2015, 05:57:01 pm »
such sad news but like many people I will cherish lots of happy memories of Margaret whether we were riding the same event, she was helping out or simply popping up en-route to offer encouragement and goodies! RIP Mags
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #33 on: 21 September, 2015, 09:38:01 pm »
Very sad, we did a few rides together. I shall miss her.

Just feels wrong. Margaret was full of life and gave everything her best shot. She was prepared to try and fail, a trait I very much admire. We rode the Dorset Coastlet together a couple of times, plus the Harlequin Hack and some other southern 100ks. I was at Middleton Tyas as a volunteer when she abandoned LEL. I feel for her Mum - must be appalling to lose a child whatever your age. RIP Margaret and all my sympathies for her Mum - and any other family.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #34 on: 22 September, 2015, 08:34:50 am »
Here's a reminder that the Arrivee editor will want someone to write an obituary, and we'll need a photo to remember Margaret by.  Contact details at http://www.aukweb.net/arrivee/contributing/

There is a low-res picture of Lady Vet in RRTY action at http://www.delphcyclist.info/RRTY.html#FAQ6

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #35 on: 22 September, 2015, 09:37:17 am »
IoW On/Off Shore 2010

Assisting Hummers and Sue Coles on the Kingsorthy CTC Audax (Watership Down?)

Helping AndyH on his Wilton 200 in 2011

On Postie's Wyle & Ebble Valley 200 in 2011 (She rode out to meet us en-route).

Probably how I best remember Mags...(Wow! 4 Years ago)
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 22 September, 2015, 04:30:51 pm »
Lovely photos of of a lovely lady!
Thanks!

« Reply #37 on: 22 September, 2015, 05:29:34 pm »
One of those people who offer kindness, interest, acceptance and encouragement to everyone around. Thanks Margaret.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #38 on: 22 September, 2015, 05:43:04 pm »
Who is going the funeral on Friday?

I am going and am hoping to take two others with me.

PM me if you want to know further details.

H

« Reply #39 on: 22 September, 2015, 07:33:10 pm »
I'd love to, but it's far too far to travel.

I'll honour her memory by pouring the contents of my coin wallet into the first cat or dog charity bucket I come across.

« Reply #40 on: 22 September, 2015, 08:00:23 pm »
Have only just seen the thread.

Our paths crossed a few times but I don't recall ever having a conversation with her; which was my loss.

My condolences to her family and (many, many) friends.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #41 on: 27 September, 2015, 09:05:18 pm »
I rode Postie's Wylye and Ebble Valley 200 today.

On previous editions of this event LadyVet had ridden out and found us after the last climb before Sixpenny Handley and then ridden with us to 6D Handley and on to the Cranbourne control.  It was sad to realise that we would never again see her smiling face at the top of the climb and enjoy her company for the next few miles.  Chillmoister echoed those sentiments and we drank to her at Cranbourne.

Fond memories.

RIP Margaret
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #42 on: 28 September, 2015, 03:05:08 am »
Yes, poignant memories of often meeting her on the return to Poole after 6D Handley.

H

« Reply #43 on: 18 October, 2015, 01:54:49 pm »
Did anyone write an obit for Margaret?  The Arrivee editor hasn't received one yet and he is about to go to press, and it would be such a shame not to mention her passing.   Peter's email address is at http://www.aukweb.net/arrivee/contributing/

« Reply #44 on: 18 October, 2015, 08:51:19 pm »
I was shocked to hear about Margaret's death.  I didn't know she'd been ill.  Was with her on the road a few times. 
My condolences to the family. RIP Lady Vet.

Here she was helping out at the West Bay & Back 200 in 2011.