Author Topic: CLWYDIAN. 212km.AAA  (Read 1474 times)

CLWYDIAN. 212km.AAA
« on: 05 October, 2015, 08:55:13 pm »
Help Please.  ???

Anybody know where I can get gpx file for Garmin (1000)

THE CLWYDIAN 212km AAA.  17th October.

Thanks. :)

Tail End Charlie

Re: CLWYDIAN. 212km.AAA
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2015, 09:03:57 pm »
Assuming it's the same route as last year, I can send you one if you let me have your email.

« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2015, 07:30:34 pm »
Thanks also CET for .gpx

and now it`s nearing time for `what`s weather going to be`  ;)

looks chilly prospect but not much wind, mostly light from NW it seems, and possibly a frosty start ----so not bad but a wrap up warm ride prospect  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2015, 01:06:07 pm »
Forecast looks OK but a tad chilly.  It's that time of year when you spend more time thinking what to wear than actually riding  :)

Looking forward to it.  And it looks like an entertaining route.

« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2015, 02:50:23 pm »
Forecast looks OK but a tad chilly.  It's that time of year when you spend more time thinking what to wear than actually riding  :)

absolutely, indeed no matter how many times summer goes into autumn into winter and how many times I write down what I wore for given conditions I always spend inordinate amount time reinventing my clothing combinations  ::-) ::-)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2015, 05:28:59 pm »

It has been very chilly until about 10:00am here in west Cheshire the last couple of mornings.
It will probably be even cooler in Corwen early on.
Winter jacket and warm gloves recommended.
On the bright side (pun intended) it has been almost windless, fine and dry. :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2015, 06:01:19 pm »

It has been very chilly until about 10:00am here in west Cheshire the last couple of mornings.
It will probably be even cooler in Corwen early on.
Winter jacket and warm gloves recommended.
On the bright side (pun intended) it has been almost windless, fine and dry. :thumbsup:

indeed very similar here--mid- Welsh Marches---I`ve been wearing winter merino baselayer with a softshell which has been warm enough until near / after lunch; legwarmers and winter gloves too  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2015, 05:59:23 pm »
What a wonderful ride ;D

As forecast dry, chilly nagging NE wind; just about 20 started, should be more on such a great route though methinks.

Quick run out to Bala and a lap of the lake for Llanuwchllyn control then draggy climb into wind up to control on A5 at Country Cooks. It then got a whole lot better, narrow lanes, steep and steady climbs mixed with some main roads and long steady climbs, although headwind again nagging away. Very good café at Loggerheads and then up and over Halkyn Mountain with views over Dee and Runcorn (not so good) and a long run along spine of the mountain. narrow twisty lanes then down through BontNewydd, limestone cliffs and woods along the valley before run into Rhyl / Pensarn and the beach café

Then back with a tailwind  :thumbsup: long steady climbs over rolling hills before the final long long 4- 8% climb up onto Denbigh Moors / llyn Brenig--but by jove it was worth it with a setting sun behind the mountains of Snowdonia, blood red, a silver crescent moon reflecting in Llyn Brenig---late evening riding can`t get much better.

A stonking descent down to Cerrigy drudion in gathering dark, Strava gives me maxm 81.4 kph  ;D, and then a steady gentle downhill 15km run into Corwen and a well earned beer :thumbsup:

Highlights for me :

Exploring what was for me a very new area of hills, moors and lanes

The lanes around Bont Newydd, limestone crags

Halkyn mountain, a fascinating area of Common Land perched high above the industry of Deeside / Runcorn

Evening riding across the Denbigh / Cerrig ydrudion moors, Llyn Brenig in moonlight, fabulous

great descent down to Cerrig Y Drudion in the dark--good lights helped !

Many thanks to Vicki for organising it and to the benevolent weather, a tough route indeed but highly scenic  ;D ;D  :thumbsup:

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2015, 10:51:33 pm »
Agree with everything you say, James.  The climb up to Llyn Brenig in the dusk/dark was magnificent!  A great day out, thanks, Vicki.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2015, 01:06:49 pm »
A stonking descent down to Cerrigy drudion in gathering dark, Strava gives me maxm 81.4 kph  ;D, and then a steady gentle downhill 15km run into Corwen and a well earned beer :thumbsup:

Yes, it was a great, albeit tough ride and the legs are still feeling a bit achy this morning.  Was glad to get up the final climb to Lynn Brenig, but after the sun set, it really got quite chilly, particularly on the fast descents.

I wish I had the confidence to just let it go, but I'm usually thinking 'what if'.  My max speed was only 55 kph.

My thanks to the organisers, and yes, it was a pity it wasn't better supported.