Author Topic: Basecamp: think I'm missing something (maybe a screw)  (Read 1148 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Basecamp: think I'm missing something (maybe a screw)
« on: 20 July, 2014, 09:24:56 am »
I need to divide an 1100k track up into four day-sized chunks. To do this I set up a folder & imported the entire GPX into a master "list".  I then created four further lists, then copied all the points out of the master into one of them and deleted everything from the end of the first day on.

On returning to the master, I found that it had been truncated as well.  Re-importing the GPX and working on other subsections of the route did much the same.

It looks to me as if when I copy all the points from the master GPX into a different list I am not in fact copying them: it looks, rather, as if Basecamp is simply copying a link to the track and any editing I do on the destination track works on the master as well.

Tain't no way to run a railroad.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Basecamp: think I'm missing something (maybe a screw)
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2014, 09:49:12 am »
Tools - Divide will allow you to split the track.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2014, 10:13:42 am »
It looks to me as if when I copy all the points from the master GPX into a different list I am not in fact copying them: it looks, rather, as if Basecamp is simply copying a link to the track and any editing I do on the destination track works on the master as well.
Yes, that's the way it works. The lists are essentially 'tags', they all refer to the same waypoint/route/track. So you can have one route or track, in a number of different lists. Then editing the route under one list, will change it in all of the other lists.

If you want a separate copy, use the "Duplicate" option. Then you can change one copy without affecting the others.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2014, 10:19:25 am »
@Rich: Gotcha. As you might have gathered, I haven't played with Basecamp that much.

@Fuaran: Ta. I may have used Duplicate along the way without noticing. When 3/4 of your 15,000 points suddenly disappear you tend to stare about wide-eyed and maybe miss things. At least I do.

Thanks, both.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight