Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284443 times)

When are the singles charts published these days? Only asking, like.

I bought my first single since Joy Division Oven Gloves* today and am keen to see how it gets on.

* a protest purchase when the BBC were trying to axe Radio6.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

clarion

• Tyke
I bought three singles this week, coincidentally.
Getting there...

RJ

• Droll rat
There *will* be HMVs in Scotland after all (so I left the place anyway with a small but tasteful stash of CDs).

There are sales charts for the markets - most sold via iPlayer

I wonder if Spotify has its own charts?  Any Spotify users here who can check?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
There are sales charts for the markets - most sold via iPlayer

I wonder if Spotify has its own charts?  Any Spotify users here who can check?

Probably worth checking out Music Week.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
First, a disclaimer: I was in the same room as other people watching Britain's Got Talent, OK? I was trying to read a book but the TV was distracting. I would have gone elsewhere but I was trying to maintain a semblance of being sociable.

Anyway, during the show, a couple of contestants stuck out as being well above the average level of talent (ie they did actually have some talent) - Jack Carroll, a 14yo comic with cerebral palsy, and Alice Fedenham, a painfully shy 28yo singer who didn't know how good she was (she was very good). I googled both names and quelle surprise, it turns out both have some performing history - Jack won a Pride Of Britain award last year, earning himself a visit from Jimmy Carr, and is already widely known as a "YouTube sensation", while Alice was a candidate for the new series of The Voice but didn't make it through to the TV auditions. I assume these people were invited (whether directly or indirectly) to audition for BGT. I didn't bother googling the cute 11yo singer who has clearly been coached to within an inch of her life, or the stunningly good Hungarian shadow puppet theatre act, but I'm assuming they probably had their travel expenses from Budapest paid by the show's production company...

Cynical, moi?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

That insanely catchy new Daft Punk song, as performed by Michael Jackson...

http://blog.sirmitchell.com/post/48586838179/pitch-shift-pharrells-voice-in-daft-punks-get

The man who did a lot of the work when I was renovating my house is the spitting image of Wreck It Ralph.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Vue cinemas are doing a "Cult Films: back in Vue" season. http://www.myvue.com/home/special-events/back-in-vue

I am going to see David Bowie's dancing crotch in awful leggings Labyrinth on Monday night.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

BBC are re-running I Claudius.

Fantastic stuff

citoyen

BBC are re-running I Claudius.

Fantastic stuff

It has aged remarkably well, hasn't it? Looks a bit "stagey" by modern standards but it just goes to show that you don't need to spend a fortune on lavish sets and costumes when you have a script and acting of that quality.

The 70s adaptation of the Barsetshire Chronicles with Alan Rickman and Donald Pleasance is much the same - wish they'd repeat that.

jogler

• mojo operandi
When is it broadcast?

I'd enjoy watching it again.

citoyen

BBC4, Tuesdays, 10pm

jogler

• mojo operandi

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Vue cinemas are doing a "Cult Films: back in Vue" season. http://www.myvue.com/home/special-events/back-in-vue

I am going to see David Bowie's dancing crotch in awful leggings Labyrinth on Monday night.  ;D
The entire audience was in crotch-related hysterics by the end. Thank goodness it wasn't in 3D.

I hadn't seen Labyrinth for ages. I'd forgotten how trippy it is.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
When my ex and I bought our first DVD player (back when the technology was fairly new and exciting), one of the first uses it was put to was zooming in on David Bowie's dancing crotch by a factor of 16, in all its pixellated glory.  Make of that what you will...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

;D I actually did laugh till I cried last night, at one of the unnecessary crotch-shots.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Rod Stewart did a q&a session on twitter today, #askrodstewart. I am just scrolling through it now and laughing at some of the questions.

clarion

• Tyke
Did anyone mention Yewtree?
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Many people. One question was something like "given that there are probably 11 women not currently pregnant, is it safe to say you're losing your touch?"

Eccentrica Gallumbits

When it was announced at the weekend that Robert Galbraith is a pseudonym and The Cuckoo's Calling was actually written by a rather successful female writer, I logged into my library account and reserved the book. I think four other people had reserved it before me. I looked at my account last night and The Cuckoo's Calling now has 130 reservations against it!  :o

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
For the dolerites / shift workers / tuesday afternoon off amoung us, "Silent Running" is on Film 4, tuesday 23rd, 1.05pm!   :)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Today I walked past  Elphinstone Hall at Kings College and there was a steel band outside playing Out of Space by The Prodigy. It was quite good! :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

clarion

• Tyke
I was reminded by a Facebook posting by Valiant otp of the chap who taught the chap who taught me about lighting design, Andy Elphinstone, just today.  An unusual name to hear twice in a day, when I haven't heard it, or really thought about him, talented though he was, in years.

Incidentally, I discovered that he now works for a genetics company in Vancouver.
Getting there...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
For the amateur rocket engineers among us:  Kerbal Space Program:

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6SYNLlyi-QA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/6SYNLlyi-QA&rel=1</a>
 ;D