Author Topic: £10 registration fee per event for organisers  (Read 41698 times)

Re: £10 registration fee per event for organisers
« Reply #225 on: 14 February, 2011, 02:16:35 pm »
I think I must be missing something here.  If the entries are all in alphabetical order, what do you need an entry number for?

No Phil, you haven't missed anything.

The brevet card as we love/loath/use at the present is out-dated in more than one area. One of these being the "Entry No." it is of virtually no use.

As is the "CTC DA" line. some folk might think they're in DAs - but from the info I've received DAs 'ceased to be' a couple of years ago.

It probably deserves a thread all of it's own, much of the info put on brevet cards - should only be done by the brevet card owner.
I'd be happy with just space for the rider's AUK number and the signature.

Other stuff is largely superfluous.

EDIT: Obviously the certified page and control boxes are required,
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #226 on: 14 February, 2011, 02:20:17 pm »
... even lets me list EOL's in advance so I can do a brevet card label.

Gosh, it foretells the future, now that's impressive!

But yes, it is much improved. I maintain an external spreadsheet to cater for non-auk addresses (I put addresses on the brevet labels, though I guess that is spoiling 'em) and as 75% of entries - auk & non-auk come via paypal - there is a second label run for the brevet card despatch.  I also record contact details for despatch of materials by email though that will stop once we have event details fully online.

So the 'missing' bits are to do with supporting non-auk entries and contact details. These are rider registration rather than start/finish list issues.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #227 on: 14 February, 2011, 02:39:50 pm »
I think I must be missing something here.  If the entries are all in alphabetical order, what do you need an entry number for?

I gave up using numbers very quickly. I found riders much more likely to remember their name than a random number I'd allocated them.

And nothing slows down registration quite like having someone not knowing their number and having to search through a non-alphabetical list for their name.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #228 on: 14 February, 2011, 02:53:02 pm »
I think I must be missing something here.  If the entries are all in alphabetical order, what do you need an entry number for?

I gave up using numbers very quickly. I found riders much more likely to remember their name than a random number I'd allocated them.

And nothing slows down registration quite like having someone not knowing their number and having to search through a non-alphabetical list for their name.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #229 on: 14 February, 2011, 03:04:50 pm »
DAs don't exist? Good point - someone should correct this data:
Results for current season

It's uncorrectable because no-one knows what the definitive replacements are.
I know a DA Sec who died of a broken heart when he discovered that what he was running was no longer a DA ...

(this discussion is breaking up like a Scotland/Wales rugby match)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

simonp

« Reply #230 on: 14 February, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »
... even lets me list EOL's in advance so I can do a brevet card label.

Gosh, it foretells the future, now that's impressive!

But yes, it is much improved. I maintain an external spreadsheet to cater for non-auk addresses (I put addresses on the brevet labels, though I guess that is spoiling 'em) and as 75% of entries - auk & non-auk come via paypal - there is a second label run for the brevet card despatch.  I also record contact details for despatch of materials by email though that will stop once we have event details fully online.

So the 'missing' bits are to do with supporting non-auk entries and contact details. These are rider registration rather than start/finish list issues.

They're control issues.  I give each control their own sheet to mark riders off.  Then if someone is missing, I know who.  The entry number is used to quickly find the correct line on the sheet (it's numbered) and then the controller reads across to check the name matches.  This is particularly useful for a distant control where the controller can't get to the start and needs to be given a control sheet in advance, with blank lines for EOLs.

Once back home after the event(s) the EOLs have to be entered onto the system and break the numeric ordering of the hard copy, which is used as a cross-check when collating cards to validate to ensure that there hasn't been an error somewhere.  These processes are always slower when the order on the finish control sheet doesn't match the online list.

Billy Weir

« Reply #231 on: 14 February, 2011, 04:16:41 pm »
There will never be a one size fits all entry list that suits all purposes.  I suspect we have to keep in mind that it is there primarily to help AUK rather than organisers.  Anything that makes our life easier is a bonus.

simonp

« Reply #232 on: 14 February, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »
This reminds me, one of the ways I tried to streamline the process was to write a script that converts a GPX of a route into a routesheet.  It worked reasonably well last year, but the effort would be more worthwhile if I could make it good enough to be used by other orgs.  Another thing on the to-do list.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #233 on: 14 February, 2011, 10:02:01 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Ian.

This was not my understanding from the (draft) minutes on the website to which I had been referred.

The upshot was a unanimous vote to levy a £10 pre-registration fee per event per year which would include 20 free
Brevet cards to take effect from the start of the 2010/11 season. (my italics.)
"

Ah! A typo. I hadn't noticed that. I shall have words with our Hon Sec. ;)

Oops!  Many apologies - mea culpa.  The Minutes will be amended before they are agreed as a true record.  It was never the intentiom to implement it retrospectively.

If there is any AUK member who wishes to sit in on the committee meeting as an observer, will they please advise me so that appropriate arrangements may be made to accomodate them, otherwise there will be insufficient chairs

Regards,

RP
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

simonp

« Reply #234 on: 15 February, 2011, 11:20:30 pm »
I would have bet my mortgage that Simon would not like it though.

I thought maybe I'd been very harsh. Then I re-read my post before responding to this. I said it was a slight pain because of the sort order not matching the event paperwork. It slowed me down doing a job which I find tedious and hate doing.

FWIW I believe you guys do a great job and don't know how you manage it.

Martin

« Reply #235 on: 08 March, 2011, 01:42:55 pm »
I see the £7 organiser's fee includes the first 20 Brevet cards;

anybody know if these can be blank ones for re-use if unsold?

also another enquiry I've had; can BRM cards be re-used as BR? I'd say yes as it's only the inside; extra sticker and final validation that costs more.

DanialW

« Reply #236 on: 08 March, 2011, 03:07:04 pm »
I don't know the answer, but even if you had leftover cards, you would still need to buy another 20 (at least) for your next event.

« Reply #237 on: 08 March, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »
I don't know the answer, but even if you had leftover cards, you would still need to buy another 20 (at least) for your next event.

So the planned implementation is hardly an improvement, in fact it turning many into busy fools - really guys, if you had to run a sweetshop, would you say to every customer." No you can only buy 10kg bags, even though I know you can only eat 125g".

Come-on, be big and grown-up. What other alternatives did you consider?

Answers not expected.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #238 on: 08 March, 2011, 04:11:58 pm »
£25 and as many cards as you can eat you need free of charge?  Maybe as an option for any Organiser who thinks it's worth a gamble?

I notice the £7 is still referred to as an 'event fee', which begs the question of what will happen to it when the card fees are raised (as they inevitably will be).

Billy Weir

« Reply #239 on: 08 March, 2011, 07:34:09 pm »
Can we change the subject heading  ;)

Martin

« Reply #240 on: 08 March, 2011, 07:40:03 pm »

if I had blanks I could donate them to another organiser to run through a printer.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #241 on: 09 March, 2011, 11:00:32 am »

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #243 on: 09 March, 2011, 05:21:37 pm »

So, you were in my study after Mrs H had done the spring cleaning?

H

Martin

« Reply #244 on: 25 July, 2011, 09:59:01 pm »
I've just paid the £7 (not £10) fee for each of my 4 events for next year; all very slick and efficient thanks AUK team  :thumbsup:; hopefully I'll receive an email shortly telling me if any are short distance so I can work on the routes (don't use google walking pretty please  :))

« Reply #245 on: 25 July, 2011, 10:14:42 pm »
The event registration form is now up on the website (for existing organisers). Note that registering an event does not guarantee that it will be accepted.

Martin

« Reply #246 on: 25 July, 2011, 10:25:50 pm »
The event registration form is now up on the website (for existing organisers). Note that registering an event does not guarantee that it will be accepted.

what are the criteria for acceptance (apart from the obvious distance rules and number of controls)?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #247 on: 25 July, 2011, 10:29:13 pm »
Ian your new avatar is looking a bit grey.  John Major-ish dare I suggest.

« Reply #248 on: 25 July, 2011, 10:42:56 pm »

what are the criteria for acceptance (apart from the obvious distance rules and number of controls)?

Same as before. There's unlikely to be a problem with repeats of this year's events, unless there were unresolvable problms with the organisation.

Ian your new avatar is looking a bit grey.  John Major-ish dare I suggest.

Pah!