Author Topic: ACME Ride to/from PBP (all welcome)  (Read 6192 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: ACME Ride to/from PBP (all welcome)
« Reply #25 on: 26 July, 2023, 09:48:47 am »
If you’re worried about time, there are half-hourly trains to Newhaven Town* with a change in Lewes. Currently £6 advance!

done. little bit anxious about the 4 minute change at Lewes, but if I miss the connection it's only 12km

No one counts how many bikes are on trains. None of these trains have guards and there's plenty of space in vestibules.
GWR count, but my experience on my local railway is similar to what you describe. there's always plenty of space UNTIL there is a Wembley event kicking out.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #26 on: 26 July, 2023, 11:56:04 am »
done. little bit anxious about the 4 minute change at Lewes, but if I miss the connection it's only 12km

Just be aware that Lewes is a station on a Y shaped junction, hence trains to/from London and trains to/from the south coast line use different pairs of platforms, so you probably need to go up and down some stairs. Worth checking on live national rail enquiries or other app to get the platform info before you arrive. NB I know about this as we had a very hurried tandem transfer on the way back from Newhaven in 2015 (and yes I know southern trains don't take tandems but no-one cared at 6am fortunately)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #27 on: 27 July, 2023, 01:17:28 pm »

Just be aware that Lewes is a station on a Y shaped junction, hence trains to/from London and trains to/from the south coast line use different pairs of platforms, so you probably need to go up and down some stairs. Worth checking on live national rail enquiries or other app to get the platform info before you arrive. NB I know about this as we had a very hurried tandem transfer on the way back from Newhaven in 2015 (and yes I know southern trains don't take tandems but no-one cared at 6am fortunately)
yes trainline app tells me I need to go from P1 to P3 (or vice versa, can't remember) so I am expecting stairs.

If I miss the connection, the next train will still be in time, or I can easily ride the 12 7 miles to Newhaven.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #28 on: 30 July, 2023, 09:28:04 pm »
This sounds good; I would like to join. I've already booked two overnight ferries, but my ferry out is on the Friday, not the Thursday. So I'll join you on the return only. Unless I change my outward ferry to a day earlier. And unless I get a lift back, as I did in 2019!

PS what are people doing for accomodation Fri, Sat and Thu evenings? Is there a seperate thread for that?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 31 July, 2023, 07:51:52 am »
PS what are people doing for accomodation Fri, Sat and Thu evenings? Is there a seperate thread for that?

The answer to q1 is here, there and everywhere! No thread for ACME accomodation specifically.

When I get my new phone I'll sort out a whatsapp group, but the simplified plan is to meet at the Flying Fish, Denton Road, Newhaven, for the outbound journey on Thursday evening and outside the Mairie de Rambouillet, Place de la Libération, Rue Général de Gaulle, at 08:00 on the Friday afterwards for the overnight boat to Newhaven from Dieppe.

« Reply #30 on: 31 July, 2023, 01:41:13 pm »
Flying Fish at Denton good choice! I've been there twice - in 2019. Unfortunately you'll be there 24 hours before me...
Right, I better sort out accommodation...

dod

« Reply #31 on: 01 August, 2023, 10:43:30 pm »
I may be up for at least some of the ride back to Dieppe, but might have to do the first part by train and meet on the way - is there a route and likely timings?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 02 August, 2023, 08:19:32 am »
I may be up for at least some of the ride back to Dieppe, but might have to do the first part by train and meet on the way - is there a route and likely timings?

Phil's outbound route which we'll simply reverse: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yh63tfq4tya9in/Dieppe%20-%20Rambouillet.pdf?dl=1

I can email his routesheet too, if you'd like it?

Timings are going to be a bit vague - last time I hooked up and separated several times, due to the usual fluctuations in energy and the need for food! We did have a good long lunch at Le Restaurant Chineur Gourmand in Bonnières sur Seine though.

dod

« Reply #33 on: 02 August, 2023, 07:34:34 pm »
Thanks Tom, I'll figure something out and hopefully meet up along the way.

« Reply #34 on: 06 August, 2023, 08:35:22 am »
I'm returning on the 25th via Dieppe late night ferry. Then cycling Newhaven to Reading where I catch a train to Evesham and then cycle back home to Kidderminster. My outward journey is on 16th August from Kidderminster to Portsmouth (setting off about 04:00). Overnight ferry, boarding no later than 21:30, then Ouistreham to Evreux (Formula1) and finally on the 18th August to Première Classe Plaisir Gatines. I'm sure to bump into AC Portsmouth and maybe a few others as I get closer to Portsmouth. HAPPY CYCLING.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 08 August, 2023, 07:47:07 am »
Right, time to get started on an ACME PBP Whatsapp group: PM/email me your phone numbers if you would like to be included (regardless of whether you're riding from Dieppe, or even if you just want to enhance your 'Armchair PBP' back home).

I already have the numbers of many of the usual suspects, but give me permission anyway.

I hope we can meet up on Saturday at the signing on and perhaps for a meal/drink in the evening.

Cheers,
Tomsk

Tom

« Reply #36 on: 08 August, 2023, 02:28:56 pm »
Thanks Tomsk - have pinged you my number for the whatsapp group for the return journey, all being well!  On that note, does anyone have any experience of turning up early for the ferry and blagging their way onto an earlier crossing? Just thinking ahead in case things either go far better than expected, or far worse.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: 08 August, 2023, 07:35:14 pm »
Thanks Tomsk - have pinged you my number for the whatsapp group for the return journey, all being well!  On that note, does anyone have any experience of turning up early for the ferry and blagging their way onto an earlier crossing? Just thinking ahead in case things either go far better than expected, or far worse.

I've changed a ferry booking fairly last minute over the phone before, ("Parlez-vous anglais svp" ...) - that was a long time ago and for the Ouistreham-Portsmouth crossing. I'm sure it's an easier thing to do for bike + rider than for motor vehicles. If you've got time to kill in Dieppe, eat moules frites and drink cidre ...

Btw, the 81st anniversary of the Dieppe Raid (1942) will be Saturday 19th August so we'll miss out - one time, 2015 I think, we rolled up to the port in time to see the fireworks, all red and white (in honour of les Canadiens).

Tom

« Reply #38 on: 09 August, 2023, 10:08:31 am »

I've changed a ferry booking fairly last minute over the phone before, ("Parlez-vous anglais svp" ...) - that was a long time ago and for the Ouistreham-Portsmouth crossing. I'm sure it's an easier thing to do for bike + rider than for motor vehicles. If you've got time to kill in Dieppe, eat moules frites and drink cidre ...

Btw, the 81st anniversary of the Dieppe Raid (1942) will be Saturday 19th August so we'll miss out - one time, 2015 I think, we rolled up to the port in time to see the fireworks, all red and white (in honour of les Canadiens).

Thanks Tomsk. Shame re: missing out on the anniversary - my wife's grandfather (a Quebecois) was part of the Dieppe Raid & lost several comrades. I'm getting a Sat 19th outward crossing though, so will get a chance to pay my respects.

« Reply #39 on: 09 August, 2023, 01:25:18 pm »

Love the "eat moules frites and drink cidre" part...I will have some time to kill as there's a good chance I will get a lift with a friend who's catching the mid-day ferry from Calais. He'll drop me off somewhere near Neufchatel en Bray (or anywhere along his route) so I will have a steady ride to the ferry and lots of eating opportunities  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 09 August, 2023, 11:20:04 pm »
Is everyone staying in (or at least riding to) Rambouillet or will there be a contingent for Versailles / SW Paris?
I'm staying in Plaisir which I think is quite close.ish.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #41 on: 16 August, 2023, 05:44:46 pm »
Hi - hopefully people are still meeting at the Flying Fish tomorrow, but I thought I'd ring through to book a meal as my train ticket might have put me at the tight end of their serving time.

It turns out the kitchen is closed. Until the new tenant takes over.

The landlady said she would recommend the Hope Inn (https://www.revivedinns.co.uk/thehope ) across the river and when I mentioned that I was likely meeting a bunch of people I didn't know there who were cycling to France she said she'd emailed to notify the kitchen situation.

She was more than happy for people to have take away delivered and suggested the Newhaven Fish bar on South Street 01273514556 who she said would deliver.

Seems the Hope Inn has a Steak night on Thursday so might be worth considering, but probably a bit late to re-arrange the meeting point.

felstedrider

« Reply #42 on: 16 August, 2023, 06:00:26 pm »
There was a lot going on in the centre of Dieppe earlier so this makes a bit more sense now.  I’m staying uphill out of town and was going to head back down for some dinner by the harbour but I think I’ll do that on the way back instead.

« Reply #43 on: 16 August, 2023, 07:48:26 pm »
Le Turbot is the best restaurant in Dieppe. I say so and so does Rick Stein. Probably better without the bike though.

« Reply #44 on: 17 August, 2023, 11:30:20 am »
small group of us riding down this afternoon from south London, aiming to get to FF around 7.30, will get a chippy delivery for dinner then

a bientot!