Author Topic: The weird and the wonderful  (Read 3620 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
The weird and the wonderful
« on: 20 August, 2023, 01:41:25 pm »

A thread to put photos of the more unusual bikes spotted at PBP.

I'll start with this offering spotted by Mikko Makipaa.

https://mastodon.social/@mkpaa/110921927539142531

A fat bike... With knobbly tyres...

Someone's making it hard for themselves...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Re: The weird and the wonderful
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2023, 01:52:05 pm »
No picture but a German is riding a Frog folding bicycle with what looks to be 8" wheels...
?

« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2023, 10:11:18 pm »
Vrogspawn durch Technik?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2023, 11:16:30 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2023, 12:30:25 pm »
F161 is also a fat bike.
F164 is a cargo bike with a metal box.

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2023, 01:01:50 pm »
Containing an electric motor and spare batteries - or just the usual amphetamines?

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2023, 02:34:29 pm »
F147 and F059 are Korean Bromptons, possibly the LEL ones.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2023, 02:53:04 pm »
Just added F011 to my tracking, was a few in 2019 IIRC none finished in time.

« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2023, 07:12:17 am »
No photo but I've seen a bamboo truss fork (on a bamboo frame but  there's more than one of those here).

« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2023, 09:28:38 am »
F011 isn't doing great I don't think.

« Reply #10 on: 22 August, 2023, 10:50:51 am »

I am sorry I cut off the Elliptigo rider's head. Not intentional, they were all taken with the camera in sport mode and pointed roughly at the action while I just kept pressing the button (no continuous shooting mode) so there was a certain percentage of waste (rider's legs, half bikes etc) including probably Frank's tandem.

I particularly liked the group of vélos. I can't make up my mind if they are a bank, a shoal or a school (as in porpoises) :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 22 August, 2023, 01:29:34 pm »
I particularly liked the group of vélos. I can't make up my mind if they are a bank, a shoal or a school (as in porpoises) :D

I've decided the collective noun for velomobiles, at least in a race timing context, is an occlusion.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 22 August, 2023, 10:26:57 pm »
Just added F011 to my tracking, was a few in 2019 IIRC none finished in time.

Looks like he was out of time at Brest.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #13 on: 23 August, 2023, 09:27:44 pm »
A few piccies from the 4h50 start on monday morning. I presume this is where the supersonic velomobiles lurked. They had, in my opinion, the best start conditions (I was comfortable riding across Rambouillet in just T-shirt and shorts - but I was also a long way south on my way home before it heated up about 10am)

and this is what you get when a velomobile is equipped with a super powerful retina blaster

I was very careful to take photos without flash to avoid risks to anyone's night vision but this one velo had a headlight well OTT. The others didn't! I could be persuaded that there is room for improvement to velo headlights (like twin "frog eyes", higher up might improve the effectiveness as well and I don't think that the aerodynamic cost would be that great).

« Reply #14 on: 25 August, 2023, 08:29:01 am »
F011 (Indian on a Fat Bike) finished in 96:42
F161 (German on a Fat Bike) last checked in very late at Villaines but may still have finished after chip timing was switched off.
F164 (cargo bike) appears to have packed at Brest.
F026 (Japanese on an ancient bike in MZJO’s last photo) also made it to Villaines very late.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #15 on: 25 August, 2023, 10:10:31 pm »
https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/tech/features/best-randonneur-bikes-paris-brest-paris

First up from GCN: Aidan's trike. And #8 is Peter who runs Wessex series
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #16 on: 25 August, 2023, 10:17:47 pm »
Wonderful!  Aidan rode it on his 600 qualifier and I saw it at Slaithwaite and was suddenly in love.  He told me it is "Rolls Royce Regal Red" - really appropriate.  A fabulous machine.

« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2023, 07:27:51 am »
Thanks, I ditched the pink straps. The seat pack just for PBP was a bit fugly. I really must try to carry less ...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #18 on: 26 August, 2023, 11:57:51 am »

and this is what you get when a velomobile is equipped with a super powerful retina blaster

I was very careful to take photos without flash to avoid risks to anyone's night vision but this one velo had a headlight well OTT. The others didn't! I could be persuaded that there is room for improvement to velo headlights (like twin "frog eyes", higher up might improve the effectiveness as well and I don't think that the aerodynamic cost would be that great).
The only velomobile with high headlamps is the Quattrovelo, the nose shape for the rest is wrong.

I have a light behind my head (Lichtkanone) but it’s not focussed well so is only a ‘be seen’ light.

The problem with the low headlights on Velomobiles is that you cannot see into potholes.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: 26 August, 2023, 08:52:56 pm »
Thanks, I ditched the pink straps. The seat pack just for PBP was a bit fugly. I really must try to carry less ...

Style points for ditching the straps!  Real points for a good finish - well done.  (Hope Dean is ok)

« Reply #20 on: 26 August, 2023, 09:09:15 pm »

Style points for ditching the straps!  Real points for a good finish - well done.  (Hope Dean is ok)

^^^ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8)

« Reply #21 on: 28 August, 2023, 03:48:49 pm »

« Reply #22 on: 28 August, 2023, 04:44:29 pm »
Poor rider falling sideways on the gravel / cobble start.