Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626265 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8600 on: 11 February, 2017, 12:07:01 pm »
ICBW2 but I couldn't find the blue ones in my (not unusual) size anywhere. Then I noticed that even in black the availability in my size and other 'common' sizes was very limited. And there's an MT54 which seems to do the same thing but for more money.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8601 on: 11 February, 2017, 05:12:47 pm »
I think Shimano do two versions of their sizes: for wide and narrow feet. So a wide 45 might be more like a narrow 46, and vice versa.

On my continuing quest for Shimano MT34 shoes that  fit, I notice Decathlon have size 47* in stock. What's more, the shop in town has a pair.

Toddle off to town, park bike, wander into shop. Check website, yup, still in stock.  None on shelf. Ask helpful member of staff who tells me (a) what's on the shelf is what they have and (b) they can order in, click and collect. The answer to why they show them in stock but don't have any eluded him until I suggested perhaps their website is a bit rubbish.

* all the time I've been a grown up I've taken size 46 shoes, even the past three pairs of Shimano shoes.  This time round they've changed how they measure stuff so 46 don't fit.
Does not compute!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8602 on: 11 February, 2017, 06:07:51 pm »
I think Shimano do two versions of their sizes: for wide and narrow feet. So a wide 45 might be more like a narrow 46, and vice versa.

Fairly sure that, a little while ago (3 or 6 months, if I had to guess), someone posted a link to a chart that showed which models used which last.

I might be able to find it once I'm at a PC

ian

« Reply #8603 on: 12 February, 2017, 06:58:47 pm »
I say to my wife, as she commands the gardener, that we shouldn't touch the ivy shrouded fence by the driveway because it's obviously rotten underneath and only supported by a couple of decades of vegetation. And I like the ivy.

So, of course, I come back yesterday to a pile of rotten fence panels by the drive because my dear wife didn't tell him and, well, I've no idea why he decided to pull the ivy off anyway since it was fine and the decrepit state of the panels rather obvious. I liked the bloody ivy.

I not only get the bill for work I didn't want doing, I get to pay to replace the fence too. I'm having a formal grump.

eta: on the plus side, this will mean there's no more fence to replace, as that's all of it, every single fucking panel in the three years since we bought the damn place.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8604 on: 13 February, 2017, 12:03:56 am »
sounds a bit like our fence, I know it's absolutely decrepit, but I'm going nowhere near it with anything other than a paintbrush.  It can fall down on it's own
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8605 on: 13 February, 2017, 12:46:53 am »
We replaced the fence on the right side of our garden last spring. It was not cheap and we had put off the evil moment until the  fence came apart. The ancient fence at the back of  the garden has been supplemented by privet, which has overgrown somewhat. The original fencing has totally disintegrated. I've no idea what will happen in the future...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8606 on: 13 February, 2017, 01:33:09 am »
At least I'll get my DLA for a couple more months. Dreading assessment and its upshot.

I admire your stoicism, helly. If it were me, this wouldn't be posted in the Grumble thread, it would be in the Seething With Rage thread. The system is monstrously unfair and clearly this is by design.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8607 on: 13 February, 2017, 01:16:13 pm »
At least I'll get my DLA for a couple more months. Dreading assessment and its upshot.

I admire your stoicism, helly. If it were me, this wouldn't be posted in the Grumble thread, it would be in the Seething With Rage thread. The system is monstrously unfair and clearly this is by design.

Very much so. I am a literate, numerate, articulate native English speaker, with spoons and no difficulty using a telephone.

Ms barakta has hearing trouble and can't use a conventional phone; that's a different pile of shit. DWP is deliberately obstructive to anyone with impairments in these 'austere' times. Daily Wail/Express Scrounger culture must take some blame for this.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #8608 on: 13 February, 2017, 01:34:20 pm »
I may not be able to use phones well but I will simply sue their f***ing arses off if they don't comply to 'reasonableness' under the law. Having taken a case against HMRC I pretty much have the template legalese to use as needed!

And I'm extremely good at ripping the DWP new ones over email.

Which reminds me, I asked DWP for jobcoach/disability employment adviser support by email "as a reasonable adjustment" a while ago. They replied quickly by email to ask me to confirm some personal details which I sent on 30th Jan - heard nothing since. Now a response at all, and indication they intend to communicate with me by email is an improvement from this specific inbox (I had to resort to escalation to managers and complaints in 2012 or so cos they insisted on phones).

One type 1 round of sporking:
" Dear DWP, It is now 14 days since I sent the requested information to you. I have heard nothing more.  Can I please receive an update or assistance as I have requested. Many thanks, Signoff"

There comes a point where 'delay' is in itself unreasonable failure to make reasonable adjustments. I don't expect either a DEA or jobcoach to be useful, but if I've played that game and am still unemployed by the time I need benefits, I can show "I've tried all bases" and they should be housetrained for providing reasonable adjustments without being able to sanction me (can't sanction what they're not paying me).

And yes they are unutterably evil hateful bureaucratic bullying fuckers.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8609 on: 13 February, 2017, 01:51:37 pm »
For what it's worth, I'm angry on both your behalfs. And anyone else who has to deal with the DWP.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

barakta

« Reply #8610 on: 13 February, 2017, 02:02:24 pm »
The way I fight back is making sure people have information, help where I can provide it, or are directed to sources of proper welfare assistance. Every case adds up to the wider argument of shitbaggery and it is increasingly on political agendas now. The Disability News Service is finally getting results from long term FOIs, investigations and so on.

I can't solve it for the most affected, but by shining a light on it, I hope we'll improve things for everyone thus the most affected. The DWP being shitbags is of course not new, Nu Labour has a lot to answer for as ToryCoalition mostly just expanded on shitbaggery started by NuLab. I had fun with DWP in 2004 (and I take a lot less shit these days).

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8611 on: 13 February, 2017, 10:21:42 pm »
Has the warranty run out on everything, Ruthie?

Everything.  Every.  Thing.   ::-)

The washing machine just died.  It has my sheets and lots of sudsy water in it.

It is two years and two months old.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8612 on: 13 February, 2017, 10:24:30 pm »

:( There'll probably be a wee hatch at the bottom front where you can drain the water out (if you've not worked that out already)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8613 on: 14 February, 2017, 09:01:03 am »
Listening to bloody Orange's hold music yet again. Oh joy.

Just noticed that typing with the phone next to the KB causes a lot of breakup.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8614 on: 14 February, 2017, 11:03:05 am »

Somewhere in your house, someone spilled water on an odd-looking stuffed toy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8615 on: 14 February, 2017, 12:37:40 pm »
Why? It makes no sense!

There are times when I think I ought to give up science and take up something involving phases of the moon and bat blood.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8616 on: 14 February, 2017, 02:10:30 pm »
Why? It makes no sense!

There are times when I think I ought to give up science and take up something involving phases of the moon and bat blood.

Politics beckons...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #8617 on: 14 February, 2017, 07:25:40 pm »
I think I'd better snap a pencil in half or something.

Last week, car windscreen cracked, and it's getting replaced tomorrow though insurance (£100 excess).
Today, gas boiler decided to pack in  as it locks up with "01" error code, and no hot water or central heating.  It's a vokera linea 24. No idea how old it is. Looks like it might be on its last legs.
Phoned  british gas homecare, the soonest they can come out to do the repair (and bring the annnual service forward) is tomorrow.

So sometime between 9am and 2pm, the windscreen person will replace my windscreeen, and 8am to 6pm the man from delmonte British Gas will say "No!" and refuse to repair the boiler due to its age (and despite it being covered under the homecare scheme)...

Guess a busy day off tomorrow.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8618 on: 14 February, 2017, 07:48:33 pm »
Brian we have the same boiler and it is old. Ours did the same and friendly man came around and looked at it. Said that would cost you, parts are dear and it is not really worth spending on part best spend on new.

He gave it a tap with a screwdriver and it spun into life. And said if it get stuck again, tap it there again and you might get lucky and we have for at least 3 months. Haven't died or needed a tap since. So crossing fingers it will keep going until after winter.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8619 on: 14 February, 2017, 07:52:13 pm »
He gave it a tap with a screwdriver and it spun into life. And said if it get stuck again, tap it there again and you might get lucky and we have for at least 3 months. Haven't died or needed a tap since. So crossing fingers it will keep going until after winter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8620 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:05:26 am »
 :thumbsup:

Was going to grump about chum putting photos of his grandson's birthday party onto FB in 47 separate posts, but now won't.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8621 on: 15 February, 2017, 01:37:08 pm »
Why? It makes no sense!

I do have form for bat blood, and you do need a license..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

barakta

« Reply #8622 on: 15 February, 2017, 04:16:44 pm »
The back of my soft palate is still sore after evil blood blister from the other day. Hurts like broken glass when swallowing still >:(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #8623 on: 15 February, 2017, 06:33:43 pm »
My back has gone "SPANNGGG".  While sitting down doing really very little.  Fortunately not seriously "SPANNGGG" as otherwise this would be in the RANT thread.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #8624 on: 15 February, 2017, 06:58:43 pm »
BBC weatherbloke, referring to Stevenage as "Saint Evanarge" is neither big nor clever.  Stop it.