Author Topic: PBP - What was your favourite roadside support thing.  (Read 6295 times)

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
Re: PBP - What was your favourite roadside support thing.
« Reply #25 on: 01 September, 2011, 04:52:13 pm »
Myself and Chillmoister stopped at one for the usual coffee biscuits etc , we joked about cider , whereupon the farmer went across the road and returned with a fresh bottle of home brew ........magic.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #26 on: 01 September, 2011, 05:14:16 pm »
The tent at the top of the hill in Merleac.  Pharmacist told me to eat little and often and these people obliged twice on consecutive days with great coffee and pastries from the boulangerie across the road.  Also could watch riders struggling up one of the few hard hills on route and feel better about your own efforts to climb it....
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #27 on: 01 September, 2011, 06:34:46 pm »
On the way back just before the control in Carhaix on the little uphill bit, there were kids handing out cake in a way you didn't even have to stop for it. The rider before me dropped it in the first attempt to grab it, we both slowed down and the kids ran after us and managed to give us both another slice.
I don't remember buying any food at the control after that. They should sell cake like that at controls.

You'd need a lot of staff though, one to hand the cake up, one to take the payment and one to give the change, all while running. Have you really thought this through?

I have been home for 49 hours now, after cycling 3200km in 18 days and you expect me to come up with ideas that are thought through?
Let me rephrase it to They should hand out cake like that at controls
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #28 on: 01 September, 2011, 08:33:34 pm »
On the way back just before the control in Carhaix on the little uphill bit, there were kids handing out cake in a way you didn't even have to stop for it. The rider before me dropped it in the first attempt to grab it, we both slowed down and the kids ran after us and managed to give us both another slice.
I don't remember buying any food at the control after that. They should sell cake like that at controls.

You'd need a lot of staff though, one to hand the cake up, one to take the payment and one to give the change, all while running. Have you really thought this through?

I have been home for 49 hours now, after cycling 3200km in 18 days and you expect me to come up with ideas that are thought through?
Let me rephrase it to They should hand out cake like that at controls

Now as an experience pit monkey for a cyclocross rider, I'm used to handing up support to moving targets so reckon I should be able to manage this, even with cake.