Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163056 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14025 on: 22 August, 2019, 02:38:03 pm »
Bodged the bit of the lock that the tongue fits into on the outer front door so it can actually be locked.  This is necessary because the said door is made of badly-treated cheese and is thus as warped as the head-branez of Donald Trump.  I have a replacement door but so far lack sufficient mojo to start attacking it with power tools, chisels, ect ect.  I therefore suspect that the said door will be looking at me accusingly every time I go into the kitchen for the next six months.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14026 on: 22 August, 2019, 05:03:18 pm »
Finally sussed out how to adjust the protractor stops on my mitre saw and got it chopping square for the first time in n years. Well, it would chop square before, but not without a deal of horrendous faff.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14027 on: 31 August, 2019, 12:32:58 pm »
Fitted new chain, (fourth) cassette, rear mech and front Icetech disc to HK’s (less than one year old) Kinesis. Still on the original Almotion tyres though, with no flats to date. Flint-mined both tyres, replaced the rear tyre sealant and topped up the front sealant. Evidence of at least one front and four rear holes sealed. As always, the tyres were an easy dismount and remount on the Hunt rims.

Replaced the folding pedal on my Brompton, pending replacing the bearings in two knackered folding B pedals. Also replaced the front wheel with a lightly used SH wheel, as the front hub had degraded into a pitted mess. I’m debating dismantling the old wheel for a spare rim, etc.

Replaced the broken Cyo on my fixed with a Lumotec halogen headlight from the garage. Given this is mostly a commuter bike (along with some 200 brevets) and virtually all of my commute is under streetlights, I don’t expect much of a problem. The backup Smart-copy AA battery headlight can fill the gap as needed and I might fit a LED bulb replacement down the line. Tightened the headset a shade.

Replaced the scuffed stoker bartape on the audax tandem and tweaked the dyno headlight. Dropped the captain’s saddle a bit.

Proofided a few leather saddles. Investigated the broken Cyo and pondered repair options.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14028 on: 31 August, 2019, 12:38:45 pm »
Barakta and I tracked down a seemingly intermittent fault in the BHPC's electronic timing system.  Fortunately the problem appears to be a dicky cable, rather than a problem with the expensive RFID SCIENCE.

In the process we discovered a compatible tag[1] somewhere in (or within a few metres of) our house that I can't account for.  I know the EPC, but not where it is or what it might be attached to.  I wasn't quite bored enough to turn the gain down and wander around with a massive aerial to try to find it.

Reminded me of http://bash.org/?5273

[1] These are the cheap disposable stick-on ones normally used for asset tracking.
whats the effective range of these things? I’ve occasionally wondered about misusing this tech of locating arrows that have hidden in the green, more so since I took up Field Archery.9

9. In spite of the name, Field archery involves walking around in the woods, mostly looking for lost arrows. Archery where you stand in an actual Field is called target archery.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14029 on: 31 August, 2019, 04:45:47 pm »
Somewhere in the 15 metre range if the tag's correctly oriented with respect to the aerial, though that's with an aerial the size of a large laptop (not including the reader itself and a computer with which to talk to it) and a tag that's a bit too big to attach to an arrow without mucking up the aerodynamics.

I wonder if BluetoothLE tags could be made small enough?  Advantage there is that the reader can be a smartphone, rather than a grand's worth of industrial electronics.

Or some sort of kit used by zoologists to track small critters?

« Reply #14030 on: 31 August, 2019, 05:09:41 pm »
Attach helium balloon and string to the flight end of the arrow?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #14031 on: 01 September, 2019, 02:59:21 pm »
Lights.
Onto the bike for tomorrow's commute.
 :(

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14032 on: 01 September, 2019, 03:07:46 pm »
Carbon fibre repair day two, sanding down the epoxy resin filler in the hole

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14033 on: 06 September, 2019, 08:25:13 pm »
getting the bike ready for the winter..

swapped the wheels from carbon to shallow profile alloy (tubeless). took the tyres off to see the state inside. one rim needed new tape - re-taped. checked the tyres over, scrubbed some of the old sealant off. reinstalled the tyres, added 60ml of sealant into each. moved the cassette over. swapped the brake pads to alloy specific. mudguards will be installed in a month or so.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14034 on: 08 September, 2019, 01:02:38 pm »
Fitted a SpedDial hinge kit to my Brompton, including trimming a bolt to clear the Brompton tool kit.

Tensioned the timing chain on the audax tandem and refitted the captain’s SPDs and the HPX.

Replaced the cut-up Randonneur Hyper 37 front tyre on my fixed with a part-used Rubino Pro 28. Perhaps I can persuade it to seat properly before tomorrow’s commute.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14035 on: 08 September, 2019, 01:32:31 pm »
I've fettled some planks of pallet wood into kindling. Some of it must have been a bit too fancy for pallets cos it was a right bastard to chop.
Just waiting for the sweep to come tomorrow and we'll be all ready for burning season.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #14036 on: 08 September, 2019, 01:38:14 pm »
Repaired an inner tube of my dad's off the 26er MTB. For someone with disposable income, he's resolutely sticking to inner tubes which I find a bit baffling as tubeless ready 26er wheels are cheap as chips these days - he's actually doing road tubeless but not MTB. What can ya do.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14037 on: 08 September, 2019, 02:28:45 pm »
I've fettled some planks of pallet wood into kindling. Some of it must have been a bit too fancy for pallets cos it was a right bastard to chop.
Just waiting for the sweep to come tomorrow and we'll be all ready for burning season.

Hardwood boards deserve a better fate.

Back in the 80s I scrounged the crate in which a bloke had had his motorbike shipped home from Africa.  The plywood was 22mm mahogany, and the framing was solid mahogany.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14038 on: 08 September, 2019, 03:03:22 pm »

Hardwood boards deserve a better fate.

Back in the 80s I scrounged the crate in which a bloke had had his motorbike shipped home from Africa.  The plywood was 22mm mahogany, and the framing was solid mahogany.

I don't think they were hardwood (they weren't dark, at least).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14039 on: 08 September, 2019, 03:22:01 pm »
Might've been beech.  Should burn well.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14040 on: 08 September, 2019, 05:01:34 pm »
A polytunnel at my wife's allotment - or at least the frame as we need to get some tape stuff to stop the metal over-heating and damaging the cover . . . that's a job for Monday if it doesn't rain.      Riding points are being accrued  :thumbsup:

« Reply #14041 on: 09 September, 2019, 02:09:16 pm »
Topped up CH inhibitor for the winter.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14042 on: 09 September, 2019, 03:10:25 pm »
Cleaned something that may or may not be particles of charred earwig from my Trangia burner.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14043 on: 10 September, 2019, 11:58:41 am »
Fitted a new espag lock to the bedroom window. The old one, no longer made, had a U section base plate such that the slidy bits were held clear of the edge of the window. The new one has a flat section and presumably the slidy bits run in a rebate in the window. Thus some kind of spacer was required.

Bought some 5mm pop rivets, which served as a source of 5mm tube. Cut the outer parts of the pop rivets into suitable lengths using a pipe cutter, drilled and filled them out to the right diameter and threaded them onto the fixing screws.

Reassembled, tweaked things. It all works.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14044 on: 10 September, 2019, 08:19:43 pm »
Fitted a new espag lock to the bedroom window. The old one, no longer made, had a U section base plate such that the slidy bits were held clear of the edge of the window. The new one has a flat section and presumably the slidy bits run in a rebate in the window. Thus some kind of spacer was required.

Bought some 5mm pop rivets, which served as a source of 5mm tube. Cut the outer parts of the pop rivets into suitable lengths using a pipe cutter, drilled and filled them out to the right diameter and threaded them onto the fixing screws.

Reassembled, tweaked things. It all works.

You would've got Apollo 13 back intact.
Wouldn't you?

Gene

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #14045 on: 14 September, 2019, 04:31:41 pm »
Fettled a patch onto my barley ;D

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #14046 on: 15 September, 2019, 09:21:51 am »
Well not me, but a rather early in the morning (7:15am), and professional fettle of my shiny new washing machine by thon online domestic goods retailer.

Old machine disconnected and taken away, new one installed and plumbed in. I would have done the installation myself, but just over two months on from my laparotomy, I wasn't moving washing machines around!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #14047 on: 15 September, 2019, 01:34:11 pm »
I've found this morning that Muc-Off Wet lube works well for oiling a uPVC door mechanism
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #14048 on: 15 September, 2019, 10:48:57 pm »
Fitted a new wheel rim and decided to live with 1mm radial eccentricity as I got everything else spot on.  Congratulated myself on getting a brand new Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre on without pinching the inner tube. 
Peter

« Reply #14049 on: 16 September, 2019, 09:23:48 pm »
Tidied up the excess wires in the fuse box, with a view to working out what is tripping the RCD. The weight of copper removed was the equivalent of 1.8 m or 2.5 mm2 twin and earth. It's now slightly easier to see where wires go.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...