Author Topic: Stripped thread on crankset  (Read 597 times)

Stripped thread on crankset
« on: 11 March, 2024, 01:16:59 pm »
Realised hadn't removed the BB on my bike since built up around 4 or 5 years ago so thought best to do so

The drive side crank thread has stripped. Wasn't putting my pressure on so wonder if hsd corroded. First question is what's best way to get off. Secondly any tips for getting the BB out as is likely corroded as well. I've got a spare crankset I can put on once got a new BB

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Stripped thread on crankset
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2024, 01:28:06 pm »
On the assumption that this is square taper, moderate success can be had using a "tuning fork" joint splitter plus aplication of a hmmer.  Heating the joint with a carefully directed blow lamp flame can help too. Some say a gear/flywheel puller does the trick , but I've never managed to get one to fit around the arms (legs?) of the crank spider.

Judicious use of a dremel/disc cutter/hacksaw will get it off too, but the part is obviously scrap after that.  It's scrap anyway, as the thread has stripped.

Getting the BB out requires (a) suitable BB tool (ii) BOLTING IT IN PLACE (3) application of lots of torque in the right direction. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2024, 01:56:45 pm »
Thanks, I think I have a ball joint splitter in shed somewhere. Annoyingly think it's in the box of stuff that never gets used which piled other more often used tool boxes on this morning

« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2024, 06:02:03 pm »
I use a gear/bearing puller. Like the linked one, mine can be built with two or three arms, whichever fits the chainset in question better.

« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2024, 07:38:28 pm »
Ride it until it falls off?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2024, 10:03:17 am »
For heating the crank try several kettles of boiling water over it (less likely to damage anything around it than hot-air guns or blowlamps).
I have an old Stronglight crank which has been removed and fitted several times with a directed application of a couple of big tyre levers (cheap chinese automotive ones that have never been used for changing car tyres!). It helps that it's the rh crank which has more of a platform to push against - and one needs to be a bit violent, one or two sharp blows not a steady levering!