Author Topic: Flights of Fancy  (Read 85019 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Flights of Fancy
« on: 27 February, 2018, 11:59:29 am »
I know I'm not the only one here who likes radio controlled (and freeflight) aircraft, so I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to tales of flying, of building (and the frustrations therewith), and pictures of model planes?

TimC's plane does not count!
Getting there...

Re: Flights of Fancy
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2018, 12:04:48 pm »
TimC's plane does not count!

But, but, but...

TimC's plane is fly by wire.  :P

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2018, 01:26:02 pm »
In the interests of balance, I think I should also rule out Bomber's current vehicle ;)
Getting there...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2018, 03:12:38 pm »
I don't do model planes (at least, not for 50 something years) but NASA does.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2018, 03:23:22 pm »
Having flown ones you sit in I've never really gone back to model planes much the same as I can't bring myself to sail model boats.

That said, I'm currently looking at buying a multi-prop VTOL drone for photographic purposes
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:42:54 pm »
Surprised that ElyDave & AndyTheFlyer haven't dropped by yet.

Points at  Hip Pocket Aeronautics. Lots of build threads in all disciplines there and a couple of threads given over to flight videos.  You may recognise at least one bod there.  :)

And these links are especially for Ham *evil cackle* but mebbe Clarion might like them.  ElyDave & AndyTheFlyer have already been bored witless by them. :)

K5083
Camel

Quote from: Beardy
Having flown ones you sit in I've never really gone back to model planes
S'diffrent.  Flying an aeroplane is more umm demanding both in the seat* of a full size aircraft and RC, but free flight - which I prefer to RC - is generally more about relaxation.   Once you've got the model trimmed (and that can be fraught sometimes) you launch it then stand back and watch it do its thing.  And rubber power models are delightfully quiet so you can go flying at double-oh silly O'clock in the summer and not disturb people.

ETA.
Hip Pocket has an extensive plan gallery, which you'll have to sign up for but if you want free plans Outerzone is a good source.

*I'm an expert me; aye right.  Got a couple of hours / 20 training flights as P2 on K13 gliders.  Loved it but models are far more affordable.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:12:01 pm »
Unfortunately I found bike riding and rc not compatible as when it was nice and sunny I would be out on my bike rather in a field flying a glider.... so after 7 years or so, I've sold most of my hanger though have still kept my DLGs but suspect I really should sell them as well. 

Before the gliders was helicopters, but found flying gliders far more interesting and challenging so moved totally in to that...   I almost moved on to full size gliders but my weight at the time prohibited me... not the case now but I suspect I wouldn't be able to combine both bikes and gliders....
Regards,

Joergen

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:18:27 pm »
Well clearly not.  Combine a bicycle with a glider and you've got a human-powered aircraft, innit.   :P

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:42:05 pm »
Well clearly not.  Combine a bicycle with a glider and you've got a human-powered aircraft, innit.   
It was considered at one point :)
Regards,

Joergen

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #9 on: 28 February, 2018, 04:42:20 pm »
Surprised that ElyDave & AndyTheFlyer haven't dropped by yet.

I'm here - but as well as 'monitoring' YACF, I have my sax practice to do (in the house rather than my practice room (AKA the conservatory - where it's bloody freezing...)) whilst the wife's out playing bridge or at her flute lesson - and hence not remarking at just how LOUD a sax can be, and I've also got a new wing in build for my Partenavia P68.  This time with GRP nacelles rather than the horrible built-up balsa and ply nacelles I concocted when I first built the aircraft about 5 years ago as my second twin trainer.

So, some aeromodellers have things to do other than monitoring YACF! ;D

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #10 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:29:08 pm »
The last model and bicycle combination I pedalled was Mirus bungeed to the rack to go down t'field. That was a long time ago, but I did stuff a Hubsan quadcopter in the pannier to work a year or two ago. Stuff might fit on the trailer with a suitable carrier fabricated, but it's a bouncy ride.
Long time flier though weekly indoor sessions in the village hall are where it's been for some time now.
I rode past t'field on Saturday, but the (East facing clifftop) grass was deserted. The icy North Sea air may have had something to do with that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2018, 10:37:41 pm »
I am pondering the idea of a bike trailer to ferry planes to the field...
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 01 March, 2018, 08:36:17 am »

You could do a scaled down version of one of these:

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #13 on: 01 March, 2018, 08:52:24 am »

:thumbsup: I reckon that would be great!

And a mud bike? It would be easier to get out of the field than Red Ted :-[
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:26:44 am »

Ah, an occasionally mobile glider storage box popular because the outside ground space is considerably cheaper to rent than the in hanger space :) I think the majority of them could have their wheels taken off without any real impact in their functionality.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 01 March, 2018, 09:49:18 am »
Although, tbf, we did see quite a few on the road last time we came up from Worthing.

Yes, that is absolutely the trailer I need! :D

And, yes, Butterfly, mud is clearly an issue there :/
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #16 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:01:46 pm »
So you need a fatbike to tow it.  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #17 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:57:14 pm »
And just think of how much camping kit you could get in that trailer  :D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #18 on: 01 March, 2018, 12:58:27 pm »

Now you're talking!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:18:21 pm »
:thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #20 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:24:22 pm »

Now you're talking!

And you're getting an electric tandem to help with the towing ....  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 01 March, 2018, 02:27:24 pm »
I think the aim is to slow me down
Getting there...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #22 on: 02 March, 2018, 10:33:19 pm »

Planning on modifying the old Pashley town bike as a Long-bike for that purpose. Wings one side, fuselage other side. RC gear, batteries/fuel on top.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #23 on: 10 March, 2018, 08:21:26 pm »
Something simple to keep me busy whilst I'm waiting for good weather for trimming K5083.  Back to my aeromodelling roots with another slab sided glider.
 West Wings Swallow

First wood cut today, but last weekend was given over to sorting out templates for the ribs 'cos the die cutcrushed sheets are, basically, unusable. Really wish they'd gone for print-wood for them, at least that way the wood wouldn't have been wasted.

It's a shame that West Wings are no longer trading because this is a lovely simple design and promises to be a straight-forward build, but... the kit did come with some traditional KeilKraft Oak of late and unlamented memory.  Check out the weights for the port & starboard fuselage front sections!
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #24 on: 11 March, 2018, 09:22:15 pm »
I have a West Wings model kit for a Hawker Hart awaiting time and attention. If West Wings have gone bust I wonder if it would be ethical to provide copies of the plans?
Everyone's favourite windbreak