Author Topic: End of compact cameras  (Read 7198 times)

End of compact cameras
« on: 15 June, 2022, 09:30:23 am »
I'd not actually fully appreciated this until recently.  It seems that the major camera manufacturers no longer produce compact cameras at all.  The camera market appears to now be high-end mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, or, 'anonymous' vlogging units the main feature of which seems to be 'HD' video.

I guess principally due to the rise of the mobile phone.

ETA

e.g. of camera timelines...

https://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras&page=1
https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras&view=Grid&page=1
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: End of compact cameras
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2022, 01:01:23 pm »
Makes sense I suppose.

The GoPro type stuff seems to be doing well enough, but there seems to be a similar decline of consumer/semi-pro video cameras.  I suppose people shooting video in controlled situations just use DSLRs.

« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2022, 01:11:35 pm »
It's a shame that the computational side of image processing lagged behind in the better compact cameras, with generally much better lenses/bigger sensors.   

As it is my phone (Pixel 4a) is capable in low light, pretty good HDR, & with no real shutter lag at all.  Interestingly the phone raw files are pretty well useless as a PP option, as so much in-phone processing wizardry goes on.

I was scanning available compacts to look for large sensor/decent telephoto range  - but going to have to be ebay I guess, if at all.  Agree about the camcorders, had a look at those too.

GoPro = great video, but wide angle only.

ETA.  Mobile phones do fulfill that maxim 'the best camera is the one you have with you' very well.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2022, 01:18:16 pm »
Micro four-thirds is quite compact and telephotos are effectively double the 35mm equivalent.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2022, 03:20:30 pm »
I think it's as much about the changing way people view the results as it is the equipment. If the aim is to have something to look good on instagram/WhatsApp/WhateverApp then the right equipment to achieve that is a decent phone, for the instant editing and uploading as much as the shot. There isn't a market for something unless it's significantly better and that won't be compact, or at least not pocketable.  Most of us carrying around better cameras and lenses, M 4/3 in my case, are doing so for their own enjoyment rather than that of others, even if we don't like to admit it.

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2022, 07:23:39 pm »
Seems GoPro have been losing money for a few years. It is quite a niche market, not many people are actually doing extreme action sports.
Plus a lot of work in editing it into an interesting video.

And cameras are not improving very quickly. A camera from 5 years ago would be good enough for most people, no need to upgrade every year. Or plenty of cheap Chinese copies.

« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2022, 11:00:51 am »
I'd not actually fully appreciated this until recently.  It seems that the major camera manufacturers no longer produce compact cameras at all.

Not quite "at all" - Fujifilm still produce the excellent X100
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2022, 11:57:02 am »
First place I looked was Panasonic, still doing Travel Zoom and toughened compacts, but the rest of the range is Micro-4/3

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2022, 01:39:00 pm »
First place I looked was Panasonic, still doing Travel Zoom and toughened compacts, but the rest of the range is Micro-4/3

I've looked at the TZ200, pretty difficult to get hold off currently IME.  Hear the 'ultrazoom' does act like a bit of a dust bellows though.

Fujifilm X100 ££ beyond what I'd want to pay, also 23mm fixed is not really for me.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2022, 02:59:54 pm »
Fujifilm X100 is good for street photography.  I bought a used X100 and upgraded the firmware, which made it the equivalent of the next model up.  Haven't used it for years, though.  If I want to do a photo jaunt on the bike I use a Nikon J1 with a 1" sensor and an 81-297 mm equivalent zoom, and a Panny FT3 for wider shots.  Been using both for ~10 years.  I only use the phone when I'm feeling lazy or want to send a pic to MrsT immediately.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2022, 04:38:31 pm »
I bought the Fuji X100V.
It's a thing of beauty and produces magical images.
However... it's not what I'd call compact, and it's heavy.
A compact camera should slip easily into my rear Jersey pocket imo.
My Canon S120 is a true compact camera, like some of the newer Canon G series.
Yes, a phone slips into my rear pocket, but they are almost impossible to use on the move.  Very easy to fumble and drop.
My S120 is set to 1/500th sec and mid zoom when it powers on.  I can slip into the wrist-strap on the move, take photos over my shoulder, then slip it back in my pocket.  It's provided sterling service over the years and is my go-to cycling camera.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2022, 02:27:58 pm »
I agree with the phone limitations - plus trying to use biometrics or even type in a passcode when its locked on sunny day is utterly frustrating.  But they are still convenient and I carry them anyway.  I used to carry a compact camera for taking pictures on Audax events, but found that as it was packed away I never used it.  So have put my investment into mirrorless for the times when photography is the main purpose of an activity.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2022, 02:41:23 pm »
My phone, which I'm going to self-centredly assume is typical of all phones, doesn't need to be unlocked to use the camera. This does depend how you set it up though.

I was suprised to discover recently you can still get those disposable film cameras. I can't quite imagine what the market for them is but clearly it exists.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 27 July, 2022, 03:31:01 pm »
I was suprised to discover recently you can still get those disposable film cameras. I can't quite imagine what the market for them is but clearly it exists.

Weedings.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 27 July, 2022, 03:41:22 pm »

Weedings.
Why? Why would you not take weeding photos on your phone, which you have with you anyway, and from which it is far easier to share them by Facebride, Instagroom, and Yet Another Couple Forum?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 27 July, 2022, 03:48:43 pm »

Weedings.
Why? Why would you not take weeding photos on your phone, which you have with you anyway, and from which it is far easier to share them by Facebride, Instagroom, and Yet Another Couple Forum?

Well of course you would.

But that doesn't stop the whoever-organises-weddings[1]-professionally selling them to the happy couple at a healthy markup to lay out alongside the meal, and round up and develop at the end.  If I've learned anything about weddings, it's that you should never underestimate the ability of the industry to start baffling new commercially lucrative traditions.

(In my youth, during the heyday of disposable cameras, they were mostly used for situations where you wouldn't trust a Proper Camera not to get broken or stolen.  I'd like to think that niche is now filled by obsolete digital cameras and smart phones, but I bet it isn't.  I also bet someone's molishing disposable digital cameras, with non-rechargable battery and self-bricking firmware.)

[1] Which probably includes hen parties etc. too.

« Reply #16 on: 27 July, 2022, 03:58:04 pm »
It makes sense if you have a bunch of cameras lying around for guests to use. Then when you get them processed, it means you have a copy of all of the photos.
If the guests use their own phones, you have to ask them to send you copies afterwards. Then you'll find some don't know how to do that, or don't use Facebook etc.

Also could be fun to leave one in a geocache. Though not sure how well the film will survive if left in a cold, damp box for months.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 27 July, 2022, 04:07:54 pm »
It makes sense if you have a bunch of cameras lying around for guests to use. Then when you get them processed, it means you have a copy of all of the photos.
If the guests use their own phones, you have to ask them to send you copies afterwards. Then you'll find some don't know how to do that, or don't use Facebook etc.

I suppose it also guarantees a sensible resolution and aspect ratio, if not focus and exposure.  Though I can't help thinking that employing a photographer is an approach that's more likely to be successful in that respect.

Ultimately, it only needs to *sound* like a good idea at the point of sale.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 27 July, 2022, 04:09:19 pm »
Don’t do it if there are a lot of men in kilts at the weeding.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #19 on: 27 July, 2022, 04:18:40 pm »
Don’t do it if there are a lot of men in kilts at the weeding.

Is a kilt necessary for weeding?

« Reply #20 on: 27 July, 2022, 04:20:59 pm »
Waterproof compact camera still beats phone on bike where it’s ergonomics are better , meaning less likely to drop. Plus with compact camera you don’t need to be concerned at plugging it into charge every day.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 27 July, 2022, 04:25:10 pm »
Oh, so it's only sort of for the guests. A disposable-professional thing. Fair does. I think I've only been to one weeding since my own, and that was around 2010 and definitely didn't have such things. It didn't have much food either, but that's a different story.

I've never been to a hen do but I almost got roped into one back in February 2020, and I didn't even know the bride! Her mother and some friends grabbed me as I was coming out of a cafe and asked how to get to "Cozy Club" on Corn St, so I showed them to Corn St and they tried to get me to go in and get drunk with them. But hey they'd only come from S. Wales and Swansea to Bristol for a hen do makes more (or is it less?) sense than, say, Prague or Ibiza. I don't know if they had cameras, disposable or any other sort, but at least they didn't try to take any photos of me.

« Reply #22 on: 27 July, 2022, 04:48:43 pm »
Seems GoPro have been losing money for a few years. It is quite a niche market, not many people are actually doing extreme action sports.
Plus a lot of work in editing it into an interesting video.

And cameras are not improving very quickly. A camera from 5 years ago would be good enough for most people, no need to upgrade every year. Or plenty of cheap Chinese copies.

I'm surprised if they are losing money.

People use them for a lot of filming, not just extreme sports (check out the excellent Tod's Workshop channel; he usually has 2-3 gopros set up for a shoot).

I have a gopro-a-like camera - I think it is called an Apepro.
Waterproof, does still or video. Gets used when going swimming to film underwater.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #23 on: 27 July, 2022, 06:51:52 pm »

Also could be fun to leave one in a geocache. Though not sure how well the film will survive if left in a cold, damp box for months.
That sounds like the best argument for geocaching since I forgot about it a few years ago.
Of course the last user get landed with the problem of a finished film / camera. (Return to cache owner?)

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #24 on: 27 July, 2022, 08:28:10 pm »

Weedings.

Still ? It used to be a big thing. The idea being that someone gathered them up and ran down the 1 hour processing place and got the photos back by the night do. The professional photos would take weeks plus you got funny ones as well as the traditional wedding photos.  Cant see the point now you can Instagram  (other social media sites are available) everything in seconds from your phone.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.