Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512281 times)

Edd

I have two pigs trotters in the freezer I got from Mozzers ages ago (reduced to 10p). Nows probably the time I should probably get round to finding out what I can do with them

This fellow quotes Elizabeth David's recipe for handling breast of lamb. She adapted it from a recipe for trotters.

https://www.tomdoorley.com/recipe-of-the-week/g7vevs18yvumvbghlz3uljfq09jkus

I have done this with breast of lamb, and eaten pigs' feet in Ste. Ménéhould.  Lamb: 10/10, feet: 7/10.  Something to be tried, though.

Any Belfastians remember Hugh Gemmell's butchery on the Newtownards Rd (or was it the Albert Bridge Rd?)  He used to put readable-from-bus poems in his window enjoining people to eat his feet.
Cheers!  :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I have two pigs trotters in the freezer I got from Mozzers ages ago (reduced to 10p). Nows probably the time I should probably get round to finding out what I can do with them

This fellow quotes Elizabeth David's recipe for handling breast of lamb. She adapted it from a recipe for trotters.

https://www.tomdoorley.com/recipe-of-the-week/g7vevs18yvumvbghlz3uljfq09jkus

I have done this with breast of lamb, and eaten pigs' feet in Ste. Ménéhould.  Lamb: 10/10, feet: 7/10.  Something to be tried, though.

Any Belfastians remember Hugh Gemmell's butchery on the Newtownards Rd (or was it the Albert Bridge Rd?)  He used to put readable-from-bus poems in his window enjoining people to eat his feet.
Cheers!  :thumbsup:

One thing I remember from elsewhere is to split the trotters lengthwise and bind them either side of a small board, otherwise they disintegrate when you simmer them. Quite a process, in the end, but there's some consolation in the fact that you're repeating the way of cooking them a century and more ago.

In the end there's not much meat on them, but the process renders the skin quite pleasant to eat.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Was dreading our usual trip to Waitrose tomorrow, but we received an email from John Lewis saying, amongst other matters, that from tomorrow the first hour is going to be reserved for the vulnerables; I might get away with that  :)

I thought they opened at 8.30, but checked and it's 7.00  :(

Chum's local Asda has an early elderly hour too, but Scottish licensing laws mean that he can't get into the booze section. Poor lad is distraught.

Someone on Farcebok was complaining bitterly that while the kiosk at his local horriblemarket was doing Stuffs with lottery tickets and scratch cards early doors they wouldn't sell him any fags until hours 08:00.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Have I gone too early?

Anyway, serious question: how is it the cross stays white after baking while the crust of the roll goes brown? Strange magic.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Suspect sugar in glaze caramelises and browns.
Crosses are denser and lack sugar.

citoyen

Suspect sugar in glaze caramelises and browns.
Crosses are denser and lack sugar.

I wondered if it might be the sugar. The glaze goes on after baking, but there is sugar in the dough, as well as eggs and butter, so they could all make a difference.

It's not strictly true to say there's no sugar in the cross though - AIUI it's the sugars in flour undergoing a Maillard reaction that gives regular bread a brown crust.

Maybe unenriched dough just needs longer in the oven for the Maillard reaction to kick in.

citoyen

Thinking about it some more, unleavened breads do tend to be paler, don't they? And the cross is essentially unleavened dough... Hmmmm....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think so.
The bun mix is more sugary and less dense than the cross mix.
I am not really a food chemist though.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Ooh, they look lovely. Will you post me some please? :P
(I suppose I could try making some but then I will just eat them all)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Have I gone too early?

Anyway, serious question: how is it the cross stays white after baking while the crust of the roll goes brown? Strange magic.

Brilliant idea to lift the spirits, I may follow your example. Although, after sufficient crastination (at which I am a pro) it might well be closer to easter.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Early? Or is it always right? Dunno but they look good.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

Ooh, they look lovely. Will you post me some please? :P
(I suppose I could try making some but then I will just eat them all)

I would send you some but, err.. they seem to have all gone.

(To be fair, not all in my stomach - I gave most of them away.)

citoyen

Early? Or is it always right? Dunno but they look good.  :thumbsup:
I could happily eat them all year round but some people are quite puritanical about it.

Leave off the cross and they’re just fruited spiced buns, but where’s the fun in that?

citoyen

Brilliant idea to lift the spirits

Baking is my therapy.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
You're only allowed to bake them after the first verified incident of a gam-gam posting "$SUPERMARKET ,, to leeve X's off of  hot cros bums,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, TOO NOT OFEND MOOSELIMBS!!!!!!!!!   its a discrace?" on Facebook.  It's like a law or something.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

What we need now if Citoyen to make some "Hot crescent buns" and post a photo on twitter.

citoyen

Good idea. I'll do some hot star of david buns as well for good measure!

Cudzoziemiec

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Flying Spaghetti Monster?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Thing about us Jews is that Easter and Passover often1 coincide and the buns are leavened, which is not allowed at Passover.

Sometimes the festivals differ by one lunation but the rules for setting Easter are based on Passover.

I plied our house guest with hot cross buns from Sainsbury's on 20 January as:
I thought they would suit his needs
They were CHEAP.

Religion did not enter into the thinking; availability and suitability did.

citoyen

Religion did not enter into the thinking; availability and suitability did.

Growing up catholic, I never knowingly observed any of the restrictive dietary practices that were supposedly a requirement of my faith. I eat hot cross buns because they taste good. The cross is just part of the fun of making them - and I would say it has no religious significance for me, but perhaps there's an underlying recognition of my cultural heritage and a certain respect for tradition (Jonathan Miller was good on this, but it's a discussion for another thread). I've also seen them made with alternative non-religious decorations, eg smiley faces.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

CND

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I've just made a buttery potato mash to go on tonight's cottage pie; I'd forgotten how I l LOVE mashed spud...

Cudzoziemiec

I could never forget that, have it a couple of times a week!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We mostly have microwaved potatoes with no addition to accompany our roasts and fish. But mash is nice...