Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165720 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5075 on: 30 April, 2012, 09:37:17 pm »

CrinklyAuntie

• aka Auntie Cake and The Sheriff of Christmas
« Reply #5076 on: 30 April, 2012, 10:19:01 pm »
I've been recruited by the eldest cubs Karate club and I’m hoping it’s as fun as it looks and I don’t embarrass myself or eldest cub  :)

« Reply #5077 on: 30 April, 2012, 10:33:59 pm »
I've been recruited by the eldest cubs Karate club and I’m hoping it’s as fun as it looks and I don’t embarrass myself or eldest cub  :)

A colleague of mine is involved with Haxby Karate Club, and her daughters made this promo Lego animation for the club:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UamIE7_r1pQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UamIE7_r1pQ&rel=1</a>
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5078 on: 01 May, 2012, 11:42:28 am »
This morning I have acquired a copy of the current edition of Cycling World.
Itsabigun

« Reply #5079 on: 01 May, 2012, 11:50:08 am »

A colleague of mine is involved with Haxby Karate Club, and her daughters made this promo Lego animation for the club:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UamIE7_r1pQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UamIE7_r1pQ&rel=1</a>
That is awsome
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5080 on: 01 May, 2012, 05:27:09 pm »
my daughter has applied for and got her first job, it's only for the summer but at least its a job,

unlike her two bone idle elder brothers

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5081 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:09:23 pm »
My son only took up rugby two and a half years ago, when he started secondary school, but his progress has been good enough that he is now a key player for both his club and school teams. And both his club and school want to put him forward for Kent trials, which are next month. </proud dad>

Shame he chose rugby over cycling, but that's probably my fault for not pushing it hard enough.  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5082 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:15:28 pm »
That is good news, citoyen, it does make you really proud, as a parent, when things like that happens, doesn't it?  So far TLD has represented her school at gymnastics and in the choir.

I, like you, would like her to do more with the cycling, but there is only so many hours in a week, and currently 10 of those waking hours (per week!) are taken up with a combination of gymnastics, swimming, brownies, ballet, tap, modern and jazz dancing.  She had to give up football and choir as she had no energy left by the end of the week.  Trying to get her to give up one session of gymnastics (she does 2 a week) to go cycling instead will be impossible, we had to fight to get her to withdraw from the choir.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

« Reply #5083 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:29:36 pm »
That is good news, citoyen, it does make you really proud, as a parent, when things like that happens, doesn't it?

Yup, it makes you proud as a parent because you must be doing something right, but most of all it makes you pleased to see someone you love wholly and unconditionally getting rewarded for doing something well - especially something that gives them so much enjoyment.

So far TLD has represented her school at gymnastics and in the choir.

Well done, TLD! No one could accuse her of a narrow field of interest.  :)

(I slightly regret that my son gave up playing piano but I don't want to force him to do stuff he's not really interested in. And anyway, he's compensating by renewing his former interest in drama by taking it up as a GCSE subject next year, so that will be another string to his bow.)

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5084 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:34:16 pm »
TLD always wants to do everything and can't understand why it isn't possible.  Our Kid was like that - school sports, judo, acting etc...

TGL is more, er, selective in his pursuits.  But it doesn't mean I'm any less proud of him :)
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #5085 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:37:13 pm »
TLD always wants to do everything and can't understand why it isn't possible.  Our Kid was like that - school sports, judo, acting etc... ..

Tell me about it, it is as tiring, if not more so, for her parents who have to taxi her everywhere for these activities :)

TGL is more, er, selective in his pursuits.  But it doesn't mean I'm any less proud of him :)

:thumbsup: I take it you mean cycling and bass playing (obviously not at the same time, I hope)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

« Reply #5086 on: 02 May, 2012, 01:42:50 pm »
TGL is more, er, selective in his pursuits.

See link above. A large number of strings to one's bow is neither necessarily nor exclusively an indicator of a well-rounded personality.  :)

d.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5087 on: 02 May, 2012, 02:06:56 pm »
I was just about to go out when the electrician arrived to install the new cooker. I think this is good news, though it's inconvenient timing and it's a shame, in a way, to install a new oven when all that was wrong with the old one is a shattered glass in the door. Still, I'm not paying for it!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5088 on: 02 May, 2012, 02:15:19 pm »
Quote from: clarion

:thumbsup: I take it you mean cycling and bass playing (obviously not at the same time, I hope)

And sleeping.  Don't forget the sleeping ;D
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #5089 on: 02 May, 2012, 02:19:32 pm »
I did forget all about his world class ability to sleep, in common with most teenagers (myself included at that age)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5090 on: 02 May, 2012, 03:31:58 pm »
Teenage sleep - I remember that. I'm sure there's a genuine biological explanation but I always felt it was more to do with the beer and herb.

Anyway, back OT, I've just calculated that I'll be due a tax rebate for the 2011/12 tax year of ~£750! Not sure how long that'll take to filter through the system mind seeing as the wife has only just had a rebate for 2010/11.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5091 on: 02 May, 2012, 03:35:26 pm »
I think you can speed it up by ringing up and asking them to check your tax details.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5092 on: 02 May, 2012, 03:39:40 pm »
Teenage sleep - I remember that. I'm sure there's a genuine biological explanation but I always felt it was more to do with the beer and herb.

Anyway, back OT, I've just calculated that I'll be due a tax rebate for the 2011/12 tax year of ~£750! Not sure how long that'll take to filter through the system mind seeing as the wife has only just had a rebate for 2010/11.

I submitted my 2011/12 return online and have already received my rebate....

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #5093 on: 02 May, 2012, 03:49:55 pm »
Thanks for the tip - will be moving house in August so any extra cash to prevent eating into savings is a good thing.

Generally very fortunate financially at the moment (for someone dealing with redundancy and working as a temp) - temp job is with a union so the pay/hours/benefits are fantastic, meaning that my entire month off in July will get three weeks holiday pay, then I should have enough put aside to fund the house move in August (don't know where to yet - wife hasn't got her first teaching post yet) and then it's just a case of eeking out until the end of September when wifey will hopefully be getting her first teacher's pay packet.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5094 on: 02 May, 2012, 03:55:35 pm »
I did forget all about his world class ability to sleep, in common with most teenagers (myself included at that age)

I'm still looking for a chance to catch up on some sleep lost circa 1983. ;D
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #5095 on: 02 May, 2012, 03:59:05 pm »

I'm still looking for a chance to catch up on some sleep lost circa 1983. ;D

When you find it, can you see if there is any of the sleep I have lost over the last 20 years lying around please? I am sure it must be somewhere, but I don't know where :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5096 on: 02 May, 2012, 04:05:57 pm »

The science answer is that  a) younger people need more hours sleep anyway  and  b) your natural sleep phase lags in adolescence, and leads in old age

Hence teenagers are awake until 3am, regardless of whether they're out partying or lying in bed trying to sleep, and wake halfway through their natural sleep cycle in order to participate in the adult-oriented 9-5 world.

As an adult, I'm still very much a night owl.  As a teenager, I was routinely functioning (or not, as the case may be) on 2-3 hours sleep a night.  After a couple of weeks of that, who wouldn't want to stay in bed until mid-afternoon at the weekend?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5097 on: 02 May, 2012, 11:56:43 pm »
Good news - after over a month of leaving my watch sitting at home cos it didn't run, I've finally got it fixed. Woh, no more excuses for being late!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5098 on: 04 May, 2012, 09:46:38 am »
Other people (i.e. the sales team, our internal customers) are finally starting to notice that one of my team doesn't pull his weight and that we have to pick up his slack. It has been commented upon.
And yea, there is a god.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5099 on: 04 May, 2012, 11:07:23 am »
Since modifying my eating and exercise patterns (ie. eating less crap and actually doing exercise) I've lost 10lbs ;D