Author Topic: BP history  (Read 882 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
BP history
« on: 02 May, 2024, 09:30:04 am »
Having a conversation with a couple of clubmates about how AUK differs from other countries.

Is it true that sub 200 rides don't really exist outside the UK or are covered by FFCT etc?

Re: BP history
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2024, 09:48:03 am »
I've ridden audaxes in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany (and I organize BRMs in the Netherland). And, yes, we don't do sub-200 rides and it's all BRM. If you want anything shorter, then there are plenty of options but those rides are typically organized by local cycling clubs.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2024, 10:05:41 am »
ACP and UAF organise some sub-200km brevets but they were originally intended mostly for wives and children while the blokes rode 200+km (it was quite a while ago). AUK followed ACP's example and expanded it. Audax Oz, RUSA and some randonneuring organisations in Canada organise sub-200km brevets, mostly derived from AUK ex-pats. Only Audax Oz has quite a few sub-200s.

FFCT covers a range of brevets, most of them not as codified as ACP's brevets. ACP and UAF are both within FFCT's overarching event calendar/ system.

Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

GdS

« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2024, 10:48:42 am »
Thanks  :) I heard an urban myth that a respected female AUK member set BPs up in the UK only

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2024, 02:28:57 pm »
Thanks  :) I heard an urban myth that a respected female AUK member set BPs up in the UK only

Indeed, Sheila was a big part of introducing BPs in the UK, amongst a variety of awards and concepts, some of which were novel e.g. RRTY, DIY perms. Some concepts died after a while e.g. gold and silver standards for long distance perms, Sea-to-Summit perms.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2024, 04:31:13 pm »
ACP and UAF organise some sub-200km brevets but they were originally intended mostly for wives and children while the blokes rode 200+km (it was quite a while ago). AUK followed ACP's example and expanded it. Audax Oz, RUSA and some randonneuring organisations in Canada organise sub-200km brevets, mostly derived from AUK ex-pats. Only Audax Oz has quite a few sub-200s.

FFCT covers a range of brevets, most of them not as codified as ACP's brevets. ACP and UAF are both within FFCT's overarching event calendar/ system.

It'a  shame we don't have a competent equivalent of the FFCT in the UK.

GdS

« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2024, 06:06:42 pm »

Haven't checked the CUK rides calendar for many years (if indeed they still publish one nationally)

many of my first 100km and longer Audax rides were "organised" by the CTC but I've often wondered whether they actually were or it was just a body that organisers have to supply; I certainly have nothing to do with CUK other than pay the membership even though that is what I put as my organising body.

I saw an FFCT ride whilst on a sportive in France several years ago, it was more like a 100k Audax over here although I think every rider had a number plaque.

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2024, 12:12:27 pm »

Haven't checked the CUK rides calendar for many years (if indeed they still publish one nationally)

many of my first 100km and longer Audax rides were "organised" by the CTC but I've often wondered whether they actually were or it was just a body that organisers have to supply; I certainly have nothing to do with CUK other than pay the membership even though that is what I put as my organising body.

I saw an FFCT ride whilst on a sportive in France several years ago, it was more like a 100k Audax over here although I think every rider had a number plaque.

Local DAs ran a lot if not most of the early AUK events.  The national 400 was a CTC concept,

In France they have randonnĂ©es (closer in meaning to hikes or rambles).  Perhaps the term is less strange and intimidating than audax.  It's certainly more accurate.

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2024, 10:12:19 pm »

Indeed a shame