Author Topic: Creating a CV  (Read 3747 times)

Re: Creating a CV
« Reply #50 on: 25 June, 2020, 08:20:21 am »
On Your CV if you are a CV19 recoveree that's a plus point.
Move Faster and Bake Things

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #51 on: 26 June, 2020, 10:05:41 am »
I've found that a single line summarising "other interests" at the end of the CV has given me some good talking points in interviews. If your hobbies involve any sort of leadership / administrative input, this can demonstrate the skills they're after if your previous employment doesn't cover everything. For example:

"Playing in a string quartet" let me draw on working with others, liaising with clients for their requirements, punctuality, professionalism etc.

"Organising group cycle rides" meant I could talk about: scoping the route for hazards, backmarking to keep the group together, factoring in rest stops etc.

2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #52 on: 27 June, 2020, 05:10:13 pm »
I’d say don’t write a CV. Write one each time specific to the job you are applying for.
Deal with the stuff the reader will know about:
If it’s for an academic post - qualifications and publications first
If it’s for a commercial job - key skills linked to who you’ve worked for.

Read the job spec and pull out your evidenced skills

Personally I’d be very careful about hobbies etc. The person may hate cyclists. They may feel that a choir member won’t be as available for last minute overtime. You can manage all these things once you’ve got a job offer.

Just my thoughts ( but I have short listed and interviewed a lot of candidates and run a lot of selection training events)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 28 June, 2020, 12:35:01 am »
Personally I’d be very careful about hobbies etc. The person may hate cyclists. They may feel that a choir member won’t be as available for last minute overtime. You can manage all these things once you’ve got a job offer.

If they hate cyclists, I probably don't wanna be stuck in an office with them.

If they are factoring in whether I may be available for last minute overtime, then fuck that. I want a work life balance. Last minute overtime means bad management, lifes too short for that.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #54 on: 28 June, 2020, 03:45:26 pm »

If they hate cyclists, I probably don't wanna be stuck in an office with them.

If they are factoring in whether I may be available for last minute overtime, then fuck that. I want a work life balance. Last minute overtime means bad management, lifes too short for that.

J

You'd be a kind of missionary, you'd convert them into people who went out and bought bicycles.

Eventually they would join Extinction Rebellion.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #55 on: 28 June, 2020, 03:52:45 pm »
What I was really trying to say is that application forms and interviews have to be objective and unbiased. Don’t voluntarily offer information that can’t be asked about legitimately.