Author Topic: the leaving of Darlo  (Read 104954 times)

Re: the leaving of Darlo
« Reply #175 on: 14 October, 2011, 10:45:19 am »
Now you mention it, I do remember wild dogs.  Do the donkeys still lie on the warm roads?  Maybe not warm enough at the moment!  Take care of yourself.

Peter

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #176 on: 14 October, 2011, 10:51:49 am »
Wild dogs are becoming an issue - I was chased by a pair in Eastern Serbia, and these weren't your farmyard yappers (though there are plenty of those as well!) - these were circling, snarling, feral beasties of the road. There was another one at the Bulgarian side of the border which made me a bit nervous, as it tried to take a bite out of the car that went through before me. Luckily, shouting FUCK OFF! very loudly made it back down.

So these are beyond the powers of a Zefal HPX?  Dammit, we need to get you a more vicious pump for Christmas.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #177 on: 14 October, 2011, 10:57:42 am »
Josie Dew carries a Dazer.

http://www.dogdazer.co.uk/
Getting there...

« Reply #178 on: 14 October, 2011, 11:12:31 am »
Uncontrolled dogs are a real PITA.   We had problems with two dogs whilst in the Outer Hebrides.   The Dazer seems a good carry solution but, when cycling, you need something that you can simply press without having to free a hand to point at the beast.   Ideal would be something that mounted on the bike out of the way with a remote button on the bars in a convenient position for an easy press and hold.   The device would need to send out a full signal surrounding the cyclist thus negating the need to point the device and create even greater potential danger for the cyclist.

This is a device that I would certainly buy.     

« Reply #179 on: 14 October, 2011, 11:16:31 am »
Or you could just buy a whip, Indiana Jones-style.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #180 on: 15 October, 2011, 03:46:06 pm »
Хи алл, И'м ин Пложидиж, олдест цитъ ин Еуропе.

Sorry, had the keyboard set to Cyrillic. I'm in Plovdiv, oldest city in Eastern Europe. About to get some food and go for a grockle around the oldest part, which is on a beautiful rocky outcrop. I'm staying at another Hostel Mostel. Quite cheap, friendly, and the all-you can eat breakfast was too much of a temptation.

I wasn't going to stop here, but I stopped for second breakfast in a field off the main road, and the farmer came over for a chat, gave me some peppers, and told me that I needed to visit this most interesting city. Finding the centre took some doing - I went right through the city, to the Lidl (having supermarkets again is good, Serbia had none, only local shops, which was mega-convenient, but the choice was a bit limited), then the security guards had a discussion about which way the centre was, one of them pointing south east and the other pointing north west. I went north west as I suspected I'd overshot it, and rode through a slum, full of Turks, who all looked amazed to see me, and shouted encouragement (often in German - "KEINE DEUTSCH!", I shouted back), and a few lads ran alongside the bike for a while. There was a crazy wedding party going on, which seemed to consist of a circling line of cars honking their horns arrhythmically.  A bloke and his lad on a horse and cart pointed me in the right direction, and eventually I got here. Sometimes getting lost is the best part.

This computer is very slow, but I've uploaded a couple of photos. The camping spots I found in Serbia were wonderful. There weren't many official campsites - I only saw three, excepting the summer camp where I stayed near Novi Sad (and by weird coincidence, I was talking to a Dutch lad who'd been hiking around there at the same time, and camped at the same place the next night - we must have been the only two people to have camped there in months), plus one attached to a motel near the border, which didn't really appeal.

Wild camping in Serbia by dean.clementson, on Flickr

The last two are from the same location, which also had a lovely track down to the river, and that amazing column you can see.

I'm adding as many photos as I can upload to this set on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30024450@N04/sets/72157627889980962/with/6246093733/

Not so many dogs here. Bulgaria seems richer, or at least less uniformly poor, than Serbia. I was carrying a stick for a while, which doubled as a bike stand, but I burned recycled it.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #181 on: 15 October, 2011, 03:51:48 pm »
Maccy-D's in Plovdiv is or used to be the only place to find a clean and with paper toilet, but that was 16 years ago. A rather nice place to spend some time, it is one of these 7 hill cities like Rome. Plenty of old stuff from the Rome Empire. I can't remember if Plovdiv is one of the many old capitals of Bulgaria.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #182 on: 15 October, 2011, 04:19:16 pm »
Bog roll still seems to be a much-desired item out here. In a town I passed through earlier, there were shops selling nowt but bog roll. But this hostel does bog roll, too, so things have obviously moved on.

A McDonalds is still a welcome sight, for that reason ;D Dunno what the food's like...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #183 on: 15 October, 2011, 04:28:59 pm »
A McDonalds is still a welcome sight, for that reason ;D Dunno what the food's like...
Well you are spoilt for choice if you go local, that is if you are not veggie. Watch out for one of their lagers as one is nearly 11%, hick!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #184 on: 15 October, 2011, 05:21:38 pm »
Looks and sounds fantastic. Not jealous much  :)

Gill

« Reply #185 on: 15 October, 2011, 05:35:41 pm »
Loving the updates and the pics, and the postcard from Budapest. Thanks Deano  :-*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #186 on: 15 October, 2011, 07:30:59 pm »
Very cool.  I'm pleased you can get online so often to keep us updated.  I guess that frequency is likely to drop off sharply fairly soon, but I will still be looking forward to the next instalment.
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #187 on: 15 October, 2011, 11:03:46 pm »
I'm adding as many photos as I can upload to this set on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30024450@N04/sets/72157627889980962/with/6246093733/

and, since the memory card from the borked camera was delivered to the den a few days back and i am now, having borrowed one, in possession of a card reader i am uploading as many as i can before the broadband disappears sometime this week!  my word, there's some fine bridges in there....

(about a third of them done.  only another 300 to go!)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #188 on: 16 October, 2011, 01:15:35 am »
Keep at it Crinklesby, much appreciated.
Deano. THANK YOU! You have rekindled my spirit to ride in a positive way that has been lost for a couple of years and I am actually quite exited about making even small forays.
You are doing great and the reports and photo's are really appreciated.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #189 on: 20 October, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »
Thanks, Kat  :-* I'll update the titles as much as I can.

PD: that's really good to hear. Get some miles in, man.

I'm in Istanbul, at last. Well, it feels that way, anyway. I wanted to get here and organise the next part of my trip, visas and wotnot, so i pushed myself a bit across Bulgaria and western Turkey. It wasn't the best bit of cycling I've done, especially route 8 in Bulgaria. There's probably loads of really good cycling in Bulgaria, but I didn't see much of it, and on Monday I was completely defeated by the weather. Howling wind, torrential rain, flooded roads and sub-zero temperatures meant it was fucking cold, and downright dangerous. I accidentally rode along the motorway for a bit, but that was almost certainly safer than the narrow road I should have been on, where I saw an accident involving three HGVs. I wouldn't have liked to have been the meat in that sandwich. I'd already decided to pack in as soon as I found a hotel, so I checked into the cheap n nasty hotel in the depressing border town of Kapitan Andreevo after forty miles, and laid all my stuff out to dry. I mean everything. Tent, stove, you name it. 

This did mean that yesterday, when I rode into Istanbul, I had a very long day. There was a bright frost when I awoke, but it was still and clear and this meant it was quite a warm day as I rode along toasted Istanbul - I saw the sea again, for the first time since the North Sea at Zeebrugge, 2400 miles ago. 

But Istanbul is big. Bigger than any other city I've ridden through. I started hitting heavy traffic at about 4 pm and since it was moving slowly, I filtered my way through a bit. Six lanes, seven, eight, it seemed kinda optional. I got a bit over confident and nearly got sideswiped by a BMW when trying to filter downhill at greater speeds, but we shook hands on it, so no harm done. I just had to follow this road to the heart of the city. 

Two hours later I was still on the same road, and my nerves were frazzled. Totally chaotic shit. Signs led nowhere, lanes meant nothing, every fucker was beeping at me, and there was a huge junction every hundred yards where I had to negotiate my way across two or three lanes or a slip road. I'd had enough. Luckily my good sense kicked in, so I rode south down to the bay, hoping for quieter roads to Sultanahmet where I'm staying, and though the roads were no better, when I got to the bay there was an actual factual cycle path by the water's edge, along which I rode in perfect serenity, far away from the carnage. I was another hour finding this hostel (as I'm already booked in), but that I didn't mind at all, as it was a warm night and it's a lively old place, and people were spilling out onto the streets wherever I looked. Still, I was pleased to get here and put away my bike, as I don't intend to do much riding around Istanbul until I leave. 

CrinklyLion

« Reply #190 on: 20 October, 2011, 08:04:08 pm »
Thanks, Kat  :-* I'll update the titles as much as I can.

Y'welcome.  I'll try and do the other several_hundred at some point this week  :) 

(actually I think there's only a couple of hundred to go, and I might be able to get a batch load done tomorrow p'raps mebbees)

« Reply #191 on: 20 October, 2011, 08:38:27 pm »
Nae rush. But the classic American car rally in Gunzenhausen was a hoot.

« Reply #192 on: 20 October, 2011, 09:08:09 pm »
Git. Not jealous or anything........... :facepalm:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

CrinklyLion

« Reply #193 on: 20 October, 2011, 09:14:02 pm »
Git. Not jealous or anything........... :facepalm:

Aren't you?  I am.  And I hate him.  But just, y'know, a little bit  ;)

« Reply #194 on: 20 October, 2011, 09:21:09 pm »
Nae rush. But the classic American car rally in Gunzenhausen was a hoot.

What happened to Mae?  I was looking forward to hearing more!  Istanbul sounds awful to ride in but my brother says it's a great city to see.  I'm really pleased it's going so well.  Take care!

Peter

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #195 on: 20 October, 2011, 09:27:52 pm »
Sounds like you are likely to have better days than the one riding into Istanbul!  Glad you made it in one piece.  Take some well-deserved rest.
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

« Reply #196 on: 21 October, 2011, 03:47:29 pm »
And I have (finally!) got the rest of the photos uploaded.  There's some bloody nice bridges in there  :D

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #197 on: 21 October, 2011, 04:10:20 pm »
Indeed there are Crinklers. And, I couldn't help myself, given that I like my beer, and had to enlarge the pic displaying the Hallertauer Hopfentrunk Hell label. According to a 'search', it's 4.5%, and tastes: 'Clear medium to dark yellow colour with a average to large, frothy, good lacing, mostly lasting, white head. Aroma is moderate malty, grain, toasted, vegetables, light hoppy. Flavour is moderate to heavy sweet and moderate bitter with a average to long duration, sweet malt. Body is medium, texture is oily, carbonation is soft'.

Nice.

More beer pics please Deano! You lucky boy.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #198 on: 21 October, 2011, 04:32:33 pm »
They do good beer in Bavaria. Cheap, too. And food and drink must be documented, it's the law.

I'm currently sorting out visas (and listening to the calls to prayer from the many mosques in this area). I'll be in Istanbul for at least another week, as the Indian visa generally takes five days, and the consulate doesn't open again until Monday. I'd rather spend a week here than Ankara, all things considered. I met this guy in Aya Sofya, and we're gonna meet up for a few beers later.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1r4vFZo&page_id=212894&v=29

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #199 on: 21 October, 2011, 10:06:57 pm »
Crazy guy has obviously been cycling in the Morecambe bay area. ::-)