Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391122 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #300 on: 06 February, 2012, 11:59:27 pm »
I tried that on Shawn re the Wessex SR, hoping to start one of the perms where the route more or less passes my house (within 9 KM anyway) (Brizzle) rather than riding 30+ kms to Malmesbury, (one of the controls) but as was his right he said "nope"

He also said something along the lines of "no good for Wessex SR starting up there cos it is not the same ride as everyone else does" - again I initially thought he was being daft, however I can with hindsight see his point and if I was based down there, so to speak, I might feel aggrieved if someone from up here got a WSR riding from the 'other side' as it were....

Of course 600 km of new territory, done completely alone, where the controls in certain places might be shut, was probably far too easy, so I may instead do the group perm with everyone else, with the moral support of the other riders, the ability to slipstream, get mechanical help, have someone who already knows the route, and the best controls, so it will obviously be a much harder ride as a result..... Luckily I will also need to ride down to and back from the Poole (ish) start as two extra 200 km rides (DIYxGPS), so it will be a nice 1000 km outing...     ;D ;D ;D

9km isn't considered "more or less" the same place.... certainly not when there's AAA points

you should have just rode the 9km to the nearest point on the route and started there...

Yep Ben, that was what I originally proposed, so I would have joined at one of the intermediate (guide only) 'waypoints' named on the online routesheet, gone round the whole thing control by control, and ended up going through the same 'waypoint' a second time, and then on home, so doing around 18 km more, which I thought would do the trick, and not change the AAA at all...  but it was not acceptable....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Euan Uzami

« Reply #301 on: 07 February, 2012, 08:43:54 am »
but would you have had proof of passage at the "intermediate (guide only) waypoint"?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #302 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:06:21 am »
Maybe there really is some ethical or other reason to refuse a different start and I'd be happy to be told so!

Seems to me an organiser is entitled to reject any proposed alteration to 'his' event, end of.  Pointless to wonder why.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #303 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:12:25 am »
Well, I can imagine a route with a big steep hill in it will be very different rides if the hill is close to the start, or 200k in.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #304 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:22:01 am »
ISTR something about this being particularly relevant to AAA rides, where changing the start point shifts the whole route profile, and - in some cases - could result in there not being a 100km stretch with a qualifying amount of climbing, or changing the number of AAA points that should be counted.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #305 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:41:58 am »
but would you have had proof of passage at the "intermediate (guide only) waypoint"?

......a GPS track would ensure that waypoint had been passed.

« Reply #306 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:59:59 am »
Maybe there really is some ethical or other reason to refuse a different start and I'd be happy to be told so!

Seems to me an organiser is entitled to reject any proposed alteration to 'his' event, end of.  Pointless to wonder why.

Of course he is "entitled", Francis, I was just wondering what reasons might be given, though "I don't want to," is a pretty strong reason, if it is his event.  Just doesn't seem very accommodating, is all, without knowing anything else.

NB, wrt my quote above, I am still happy!  But wondering "why" is never pointless (fruitless, perhaps).  It is the human condition and is what makes us the polymaths we all are! :)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #307 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:09:38 am »
ISTR something about this being particularly relevant to AAA rides, where changing the start point shifts the whole route profile, and - in some cases - could result in there not being a 100km stretch with a qualifying amount of climbing, or changing the number of AAA points that should be counted.
This point hadn't occurred to me.  If this is the case, do I, in future:
1: insist that they use the "proper" start if they want any AAA points?
2: allow them to start anywhere, but deny them any AAA points, or re-calculate AAA points based on their starting point?
3: keep quiet and work on the twin principles that (i) life's too short, and (ii) it is easier to obtain forgiveness than permission?

Also, should the handful of people who have done the ride from a different start now be stripped of the AAA points they were awarded? Maybe we should refer the whole matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Reg.T (or anyone else) - can you say where this rule / guideline is to be found?  ???

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

AndyH

« Reply #308 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:12:52 am »
Maybe Mr Shaw has a purists view. It's all here. His point, if I understand it correctly, is that a Wessex SR is to be ridden in it's unadulterated form, as crafted by the org(s) and ridden by our predecessors. The date, once entered, is also fixed. So it's a commitment to ride a particular route on a particular day at a particular time. Pure Audax. For me that is one of the attractions of the Wessex SR. YMMV. 
Wessex Super Randonneur Permanents

Room 101, wherein our pet hates reside. Likewise Rule 101. "Predetermined Time" is not "09:00Thaturday 16th Monthoberary but if it rains I'll go the next week end that it's fine. OK?" No, it's not OK. "Predetermined Time" IS 09:00 Thaturday 16th Monthoberary whatever (subject to PRIOR negotiation).

The true permanent follows a set route whereas with the calendar events the route is advisory; the organisors preferred way between controls. The other form of permanent, the diagonal, joins two coastal towns and the rider nominates their own route and control points which are then agreed with the organiser.

Riders may be unable to ride the calendar events or may of course fail to complete on the day.

In order to assist riders whose aim is the Wessex Series the permanent versions (at randonneur level) of the Dorset Coast, hard boiled 300, Porkers 400 and Hellfire [Brimstone] 600 may be substituted for their calendar counterpart. (Riding three Hellfires and a Dorset Coast will not count). The Hard Boiled 300 permanent may be sustituted for the 3D300 calendar event.
There is nothing to stop anybody taking the Hellfire route, starting from wherever they want and submitting it as a DIY, GPS or traditional. It just wouldn't be The Hellfire.

As an aside Paul D & I had a route discrepancy on the Dorset Delight once. One of us had used an old routesheet (me IIRC). When I queried it with Shawn he asked me if GPS meant "gone past signpost"

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #309 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:18:25 am »
There is nothing to stop anybody taking the Hellfire route, starting from wherever they want and submitting it as a DIY, GPS or traditional. It just wouldn't be The Hellfire.
Sounds like it's a
Local ride, for Local riders.

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #310 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:23:40 am »
 ;D

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #311 on: 07 February, 2012, 10:51:13 am »
This point hadn't occurred to me.  If this is the case, do I, in future:
1: insist that they use the "proper" start if they want any AAA points?
2: allow them to start anywhere, but deny them any AAA points, or re-calculate AAA points based on their starting point?
3: keep quiet and work on the twin principles that (i) life's too short, and (ii) it is easier to obtain forgiveness than permission?

Also, should the handful of people who have done the ride from a different start now be stripped of the AAA points they were awarded? Maybe we should refer the whole matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Reg.T (or anyone else) - can you say where this rule / guideline is to be found?  ???

I think it was here: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19349.msg346450#msg346450 - not that it seems very definitive.

Edit: As for referral to CAS, surely it depends on whether they've eaten any Spanish beef before the ride?
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

AndyH

« Reply #312 on: 07 February, 2012, 07:34:48 pm »
Sounds like it's a
Local ride, for Local riders.

;)
In this house Matthew, we do not have free routes between controls and our bidons are always topped up with aqua vita.

And please stop using smileys, it's most upsetting, you have no idea what I infer from them.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #313 on: 07 February, 2012, 07:51:42 pm »
 :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #314 on: 12 February, 2012, 07:28:33 am »
Randonneur 500

If I did DIY rides of 50, 100 and 150km and a calender 200km at Randonneur speed this year, would I become a Randonneur 500? or do all rides need to be calander events?

@CorbieLinnRider

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #315 on: 12 February, 2012, 07:59:59 am »
AUK's award system doesn't care whether the qualifying rides are calendar events or perms.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #316 on: 12 February, 2012, 06:17:09 pm »
I'm wondering how do you register for a ride without a chequebook or a printer?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #317 on: 12 February, 2012, 06:20:33 pm »
If it's allowed, enter on the line (as in the starting line).
If it's allowed, enter online (as in the internet).
If neither of those are allowed, find someone/somewhere else with a printer.

Then, get a postal order, or else include a crisp fiver with your entry. 

« Reply #318 on: 12 February, 2012, 06:35:01 pm »
If it's allowed, enter on the line (as in the starting line).
If it's allowed, enter online (as in the internet).
If neither of those are allowed, find someone/somewhere else with a printer.

Then, get a postal order, or else include a crisp fiver with your entry.

Thanks for the reply!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #319 on: 12 February, 2012, 06:38:11 pm »
Or there's a copy of the entry form in the AUK handbook if you have one of those, and have access to a photocopier.

« Reply #320 on: 12 February, 2012, 09:42:58 pm »
I'm wondering how do you register for a ride without a chequebook or a printer?
I used to print at work, and get my mum (yes really) to send the cheques, from her house. Then I started sending Cold Hard Cash. Then I lost my job, and printed 'em off at the library.

Now I get someone else to do it. He has a chequebook and a printer and everything.

« Reply #321 on: 13 February, 2012, 07:36:07 am »
I think I'll try to get a printout somewhere, and deliver the form and envelopes with £5 note personally, it's quicker and easier than trying to find someone with a chequebook. I might open up a bank account that does offer chequebooks, but I'm happy with the account I have now.  Thanks for all the replies!

seraphina

« Reply #322 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:39:05 pm »
Right, first random audax question. Our routecard has come through, and it has things called "information controls" on it. What are these? Am I right in thinking there will be a question or something to answer? Basically I would like to know if I need to bring a pen/pencil to write stuff down.

« Reply #323 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:43:26 pm »
It's what Ikea pencils are for. Biros have a nasty habit of not working when you need them.

seraphina

« Reply #324 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:46:41 pm »
Brilliant, thanks saturn! Pencil it is then.