Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391140 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #425 on: 01 April, 2013, 12:55:28 pm »
Bugger! I shall continue to feel victimised  ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #426 on: 01 April, 2013, 01:37:35 pm »
Bugger! I shall continue to feel victimised  ;D
Nope, I have the same issue. Though that doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. Or do I mean us?

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #427 on: 01 April, 2013, 02:45:09 pm »
I did have that issue (using Chrome) but think it's gone now. Can't recall whether I saved the details explicitly in the Members -> My Details page, or changed my navigation to force a site login before going to the entry page. Think it was the latter. Realise this is a workaround not a fix.
HTH
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #428 on: 01 April, 2013, 02:49:44 pm »
Thanks Reg.

I thought amending "My Details" sounded like a good thing, but it seems AUKWeb doesn't know my password anymore (despite my having logged in earlier to enter an event), so I'm rapidly running out of gumption to resolve this.
I rarely use the Postal Entry page, so it's less effort to let Firefox remember for me when I do.

I thought if there is a systemic problem, the powers-that-be may be interested. I'm not!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #429 on: 02 April, 2013, 04:17:57 pm »
Weight - or lack of it..... should I worry ?

Grit, I can rationalise to the noggin and keep it there, but the stamina thing is starting to concern me somewhat, particularly when on flicking through the weight reports thread I see no-one (except Feline) is sub-65Kg.... I know I'm smallish (52cm frames, 5ft8") but is having a "slight" build (BMI 20.5) likely to cause me issues regarding finishing such taxing events?

No. Don't worry.

5 foot 8 and 60kg and yet to have failed to finished anything I ever started in audax world.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #430 on: 03 April, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »
With DIY gps perms, as long as the route has been done before or you're sure it is fine, it seels OK to enter online right up until setting off.  What about ECE by gps online entry?  Accepting that if you make a mistake - and the route does not validate at your version of the distance - you might be disappointed, is it considered acceptable to do this, or does the '2 weeks prior to riding' concept still apply?  I PMd Martin, but just thought someone on here might know.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #431 on: 03 April, 2013, 11:59:54 pm »
I've always just entered online and submitted the file. Normally a day or so before. Never had the distance checked in advance, but I do attach a link to the route on googlemapswalking, which self proves I suppose.  :)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #432 on: 04 April, 2013, 08:36:11 am »
Martin told me last year that last-minute entry is ok, just as for DIYs (GPS or not).

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #433 on: 06 April, 2013, 10:36:11 am »
How do ferry crossings work on Audaxes?
( I'm thinking about longer crossings that may take a significant time. )

Presumably, it's only 'cycling' distance that counts, distance covered on the ferry does not.
But how about time?

If the odometer stops when you're on the ferry, does the clock stop too?
Or do you just have to eat the ferry non-riding-time and then try to make it up, same as you would for a long cafe stop or a mechanical?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #434 on: 06 April, 2013, 11:31:38 am »

Presumably, it's only 'cycling' distance that counts, distance covered on the ferry does not.
But how about time?

Or do you just have to eat the ferry non-riding-time and then try to make it up, same as you would for a long cafe stop or a mechanical?
The latter.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #435 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:00:36 pm »
ICBA to trawl through the thread before asking.......

If I wanted to pursue an SR or RRTY award do a % of the rides have to be Calendar events or can all the rides be Perms?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #436 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:08:06 pm »
Any way you want to mix them is fine but a bit lazy not even trying to look for the answer.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #437 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:43:17 pm »
I can do lazy.I'm very good at it.

ETA

I forgot my manners :-[......thanks for your input.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #438 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:49:52 pm »
give im a break! I'm the forum thread-nazi, but even I can see that this thread is pretty much designed for lazy questions :)

(everything* is covered somewhere in the FAQ. And covered in an existing thread. So there really is no need to ask questions, if you want to be really strict :P 

*OK, so there may be gaps ... but 18 pages worth? I doubt it.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #439 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:54:07 pm »

But how about time?

I did a dinner dart from Basingstoke to Guildford via the Isle of Wight a few years back.  Its the one time I've had to think about time limits.  Getting from Lymington - Yarmouth was no problem - I had my breakfast butty and tea on the ferry.  But on the way back I just missed a Portsmouth Ferry, and had to wait 45 mins for the next one, it was a 45 minute crossing.  It is the only time I have ever read a Saturday broadsheet from cover to cover during an actual Audax event.  :smug:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #440 on: 27 April, 2013, 06:44:46 pm »
Following on from above I've made an effort & found this

http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/rrtyfaqs.htm#FAQ14

'cause I wanted to know if an SR could be included in a RRTY effort.

I may have compromised my lazy reputation :demon: ;D

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #441 on: 27 April, 2013, 09:19:58 pm »
I can ride all day on one bottle of hi five, and maybe three or four frusli bars, and sometimes less than that.
<snip>
I guess you would call me a racing snake, though at 60 (in a few months) I have probably shed more than a few skins, and I'm not quite so fast, but as for stamina     :thumbsup: ;D :thumbsup: ;D :thumbsup:
In the interests of science, you understand, I tried this method yesterday/this morning.  Consumption over 200km was:
2 marathons snickers
2 lattes, 'cos it was silly o'clock and I fancied staying awake
2 stale rolls (I'd been saving them since my failure to make it out of the house the previous weekend)
some water
I felt ver' weary at the end.  It did not make me faster by one kph*, probably the opposite.
(Dinner was pasta and sauce, about 1.5 hour before I left.)

*it may have made me several iotas faster.  afaik, an iota is not a measure of speed.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #442 on: 28 April, 2013, 11:09:39 pm »
You don't ride faster, however you do save time by not doing extended stops all the time.....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #443 on: 29 April, 2013, 11:04:13 pm »
Food & drink on 200's...?

Yesterday as an example...

Big bowl of porridge with syrup and a banana washed down with coffee before I left home, then
Fruit & nut bar
Banana
Ginsters chicken sandwich (vile), packet of crisps, Yazoo and a latte
another fruit & nut bar
another banana
Friji milkshake
2no 750ml bottles of water with SIS GO electrolyte/energy powder
1no 500ml bottle of plain water
Avoided using 2 gels that I was carrying...

Sooo...is this similar to what others drink/eat (except Mikey who can run virtually on empty :o), or am I starving myself (massive hunger today with binge eating ;D)?
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #444 on: 30 April, 2013, 01:23:56 pm »

Big bowl of porridge with syrup and a banana washed down with coffee before I left home, then
Fruit & nut bar
Banana
another fruit & nut bar
another banana
Friji milkshake

Sooo...is this similar to what others drink/eat (except Mikey who can run virtually on empty :o), or am I starving myself (massive hunger today with binge eating ;D)?

That is hardly enough for somebody who is going nowhere; I am not surprised you're hungry!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #445 on: 30 April, 2013, 02:49:41 pm »
I've done 190km (v hilly) on 2 litres of PSP and 2 bananas.  Would I have collapsed in a heap with hunger knock at km 191?.  Last weekend I rode 135km on 1 litre of PSP, but then spoilt it with a Fully Monty breakfast. 

I used to need to eat every 50km or so but after the likes of PBP - first control at 200km and Mille Miglia - first feed stop at 300km I've practised riding light.  It works well enough for the first 200km to 300km but then I need to go back to regular feeds.  I presume that frequent long events have trained my system to ration carb consumption.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #446 on: 30 April, 2013, 07:56:14 pm »

Sooo...is this similar to what others drink/eat

NO,nowhere near enough

I have porridge with honey & bannana for breakfast at home
toast & coffee if it's available at the start
beans on toast at approx 60km
dinner(eg:-sausage,egg &chips + cake & custard) at 100/120km
cake or ice cream & coffee at approx 170km

plus crisps,snickers bar,jelly tots & other nibbles in between meals which I can scoff on the move.

I typically use 4x500ml bottles of water (2 with Nunn additive):more if the weather is better than "warm"

hth

« Reply #447 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:34:55 am »
I eat much less on a 200 now compared to what I did when I first started Audaxing. I started off scoffing endless Ginsters pasties and having beans on toast every 50km.

On PBP I think I had a sandwich at Mortagne-Au-Perche (140km) and then my next food was at Villaines (220km). Just water in the bottles.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #448 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:49:03 am »

Fruit & nut bar
Banana
another fruit & nut bar
another banana
Friji milkshake

That doesn't sound ridiculous. My last 200, I ate:

Two Weetabix at home, and coffee, then rode to the start (13 km)
Coffee at the start
Flapjack at 90 km
Huge meal at CrinklyLion's at 120 km (mac n cheese, hummus, a jacket tatie)
Coffee and a grain bar of some sort at 160 km
Tea and cake at the finish

(with plain water in my bottle)

Obviously that's less than some on here, but it's typical for me. I usually just eat at controls, and I generally carry bonk rations. On fastest ever 300, I didn't eat anything until the 150 km control.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #449 on: 01 May, 2013, 12:33:20 pm »
That's food an drink on the 200  I doubt it meant all day.  Presumably you ate something afterwards?

I've been known to go 100 miles on about 1/2 a mule bar, a packet of Shot Bloks and about 4 litres of home-made energy drinks.  But I *do* eat substantially before and after.  (and recently far too much of that sort of thing)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.