Author Topic: Tyres again  (Read 715 times)

Tyres again
« on: 29 April, 2024, 08:00:09 pm »
I am currently using continental double fighter 3 26/1.9 tyres on my tricon gr but they are after 2 years beginning to perish due to uv and I am getting quite a lot of punctures. So the question for the panel is should I replace them with the same or maybe a set of road slicks around 1.5 .I don't ride in mud as a rule but do cover the occasional bridleway
The slicks appeal in the area of easier rolling but I worry that they may be a compromise to far 🤔
the slower you go the more you see

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Tyres again
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2024, 01:45:04 am »

You'd be amazed what slick tyres can do. Last year's race around the Netherlands gravel edition was won on 28mm slicks. Which considering how many other riders were running 50mm+ rubber for the sandy gravelly conditions is damn good going.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2024, 06:46:38 am »
I'd probably stick with the Continentals again since you've had good luck with them for 2 years. The slicks might roll a bit easier on the road, but it seems like you do hit some rougher stuff occasionally too.

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2024, 08:31:39 am »
Well I've ordered the contis but I am still curious about slicks. Are there any recommendations for slicks in26"? :)

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2024, 09:01:39 am »
I recall one Audax where we had to get a date off a monument.  The monument was in a field of grass and there was a heavy dew.  Riding to the monument it got to the point where the rear wheel was going round but I wasn't moving forward.  Given that this incident was about 0.0000001% of the total amount of riding I do, I'd say slicks would be fine.  If you have to dismount and walk the bike a short distance its not an issue.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2024, 09:13:07 am »
You'd be amazed what slick tyres can do. Last year's race around the Netherlands gravel edition was won on 28mm slicks. Which considering how many other riders were running 50mm+ rubber for the sandy gravelly conditions is damn good going.

You'd be amazed how little traction you can get on the rear wheel of a lightly loaded tadpole trike.  If there's any mud or wet brick or similar, a slick rear tyre will severely restrict your climbing ability.  It's not like cycleman is going to get off and push.

Our foray into Kojaks on barakta's trike (before she went electric) concluded that for purely road riding, there's a decent amount of rolling resistance to be saved compared to Marathons.  (And there are better slicks than Kojaks; their main advantage is that they're cheap.)  They seemed to have a sweet spot for pressure in terms of comfort and handling, so some experimentation required.

« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2024, 09:41:59 am »
The 26".tricon gr seems to be better re traction I suspect due to the longer wheelbase but traction could be a issue on steep wet tarmac conditions. One possibility is to fit slicks on the front and leave a conti on the rear. Any slick tyre recommendations? :)

« Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2024, 10:44:11 am »
Not Kojaks.
Fat Kojaks at low pressures roll without vibration. Unfortunately, bicycle rolling resistance tests show that they have a high RR.

Conti sport contacts are cheap and roll better.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 02 May, 2024, 06:09:27 pm »
Someone suggested big apples at the local cycle shop! ? :)

« Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2024, 05:35:44 pm »
The new contis have arrived