Author Topic: Banging classical music suggestions?  (Read 7096 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Banging classical music suggestions?
« Reply #25 on: 04 February, 2013, 10:50:48 am »
Symphony No. 3 ~ Camille Saint-Saëns.  Bangin' organ :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #26 on: 04 February, 2013, 09:03:06 pm »
I agree with Kim and Wowbagger.
So do I.

Still, if you are after catchy bits and loud stuff: -

Ride of the Valkyries
1812 (especially the end)
O fortuna (Carmina Burana)
Pomp and Circumstance
Montagues and Capulets
Radetzky March
Mars (from the Planets)
William Tell Overture

that's a start from the top of my head
Yeah, do for a start. He might like the March to the Scaffold from Symphonie Fantastique.

But I think Les Noces is really banging.
I know, I'm weird.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #27 on: 04 February, 2013, 10:53:21 pm »
saint seans carnival of the animals ,my favorite being fossils .
Hebrides overture by mendelssohn are good to
the slower you go the more you see

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #28 on: 04 February, 2013, 11:07:58 pm »
Not quite as "banging" as the others but here are some more suggestions:
Shostakovich Piano Concerto No 2
Dvorak Noon Witch
Arnold Scottish Dances
Bizet Carmen Overture
Pen Pusher

« Reply #29 on: 05 February, 2013, 01:46:50 pm »
Toccata and Fugue for organ in A minor (Bach)

That's one I was thinking of.  Whack yer sub-woofer up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXoyr_FyFw

Except, as the clip demonstrates, it's in D minor (I've also heard Maxim Vengerov transcribe it for violin, in which case it's in G minor). There are suggestions that it may have originally been a violin piece that was later transcribed to organ.

It is currently thought that this work is probably not by Bach at all as it's so different from anything else he composed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toccata_and_Fugue_in_D_minor,_BWV_565 refers.

There's a great piano transcription by a Polish pianist, but I can't remember any details.

How about the Karelia Suite, The Wood Nymph and Night Ride and Sunrise by Sibelius?

If it's the sound of  "classical" music that you like, how about the Classic Rock albums from the 70s/80s?

« Reply #30 on: 05 February, 2013, 06:57:59 pm »
Shostakovich Symphony no. 10, 2nd mvt.
Symphonies 7 & 8 definitely have their moments too.
Nielsen symphonies.

Some slightly more unusual ones...

Schumann konzertstuck for 4 horns (Schumann is pretty good in general)
Hugo Alfven - Swedish rhapsody no. 3 (the banging bit comes towards the end but it's all good.)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #31 on: 05 February, 2013, 09:25:30 pm »
A lot of the classical music you hear is pretty boring - soft, tuneless, nondescript violins but you get the occasional odd bit that is actually really banging - can anybody list any examples?
Ideally catchy melodies, loud bassoons, etc.  :thumbsup:
You need opera.  Start with Mozart's rather fun "Don Giovanni, a cenar teco m'invitasti" where the Commendatore's statue turns up at the feast and drags Don Giovanni down to hell.  To be fair to the Don, he goes down like a man.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Hillbilly

« Reply #32 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:19:02 pm »
Philip Glass - soundtrack from Mishima

Michael Nyman - basically anything from his collaborations with Peter Greenaway.  Try "Swan Rot" from A Zed and Two Noughts.

« Reply #33 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:37:25 pm »
...Ravel's Bolero certainly builds up to a crescendo ...
To be precise, the build up is a crescendo. Bolero is one long crescendo, 'crescending' to a climax.

Crescendo means growing, or increasing, in Italian, & that's exactly what the musical instruction means.

Nielsen symphonies.
??? The Nielsen I've heard was anything but banging. A friend of mine loved it, & was surprised that I was less enthused - because whatever its merits (& I could appreciate the orchestration), it lacked all of the qualities which would lead me to call it 'banging', e.g. immediacy, sudden impact.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #34 on: 07 February, 2013, 11:33:50 am »
Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 8, RV 315, "L'estate" (Summer) - Vivaldi

i.e "Summer" from The Four Seasons. Starts off as a humid breathless day and builds to a climatic storm.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 07 February, 2013, 11:45:17 am »
Find yourself a rousing rendition of Ode to Joy.

Or get Wowbagger to sing it for you in German - preferably awheel :D

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #36 on: 07 February, 2013, 07:35:55 pm »
Damn good choice. Very banging.

« Reply #37 on: 07 February, 2013, 10:46:50 pm »
Just back from a Banging performance of Shostakovich 4 by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic conducted by Vasily Petrenko  :thumbsup:

Here is the Vienna Phil conducted by Valery Gergiev

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q0qQ7U5amg0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q0qQ7U5amg0&rel=1</a>
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

COG

« Reply #38 on: 09 February, 2013, 05:09:27 pm »
"Padstow PARP Lifeboat" by Malcolm Arnold, he may have been under the influence when writing it.

« Reply #39 on: 09 February, 2013, 06:38:42 pm »
If by classical music you mean "stuff played by orchestras" then apart from the stuff mentioned above, for "banging music" you'll be mostly be looking at 20th century stuff. Orff's Carmina Burana, Strvinsky's Rite of Spring, etc, etc,

But for proper banging, Prokofiev's Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution. It's only been performed a couple of times, partly because of the orchestration: extra large orchestra (4 X woodwind, etc) plus several choruses, a military band, an accordion orchestra, sirens, gunshots and a man on a megaphone. Fantastic if your hifi (and neighbours) can cope with it being played at a realistic volume.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #40 on: 11 February, 2013, 10:28:53 pm »
If by classical music you mean "stuff played by orchestras" then apart from the stuff mentioned above, for "banging music" you'll be mostly be looking at 20th century stuff. Orff's Carmina Burana, Strvinsky's Rite of Spring, etc, etc,

Hmm.. a lot of this is loud and 'rousing' but I think 'catchy' is more important than 'rousing'.
I guess by banging I really mean evocative, something that sounds like an actual melody, not like someone's literally just made it up off the top of their head. It's good to sound like it's in bars as well not just one continuous stream, although obviously that on its own doesn't necessarily make it a good tune!
If you go by the theory that part of the reason a lot of modern music is shite is that most of the music that can be invented, has been - like oil, 'peak music' could be argued to have been somewhere in the 60s or 70s, then you would think that if you go back 200 years there should be lots of good tunes. It seems to me though that you have to wade through a lot of chaff to get to this (still probably increased in absolute terms ) amount of wheat, which must be partly due to the fact that they didn't have a lot else to do back then.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #41 on: 11 February, 2013, 10:44:56 pm »
There's a lot of good stuff out there, but just like any music genre what one person finds good another doesn't.

If you are after good tunes rather than just big loud things then it opens up a few more pieces of music.

Hall of the Mountain King from Peer Gynt (the music Alton Towers used to use)
The Overture to Music for the Royal Fireworks
Hallelujah Chorus from the Messiah
The lark ascending
New World Symphony

I like the flight of the bumble bee for bizarre cello playing, but then again as a lowly Grade 3 I just mervel at how hard that piece must be to play.

I think the 1812, especially the final movement must be my favourite though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #42 on: 11 February, 2013, 11:37:21 pm »
Rossini: Petite Messe Solennelle. In my opinion, that's 'banging'. Especially if you get to see the two pianos and harmonium orchestration with a small chorus in concert. They end up riding the wheels off that harmonium.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #43 on: 11 February, 2013, 11:45:56 pm »
I like the flight of the bumble bee for bizarre cello playing, but then again as a lowly Grade 3 I just mervel at how hard that piece must be to play.
yeah now that to me just sounds completely random i'm afraid  :) it must be very hard to play exactly like the composer intended, but you could play the notes in a completely different order and a lot of people would never know.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #44 on: 11 February, 2013, 11:57:20 pm »
yeah now that to me just sounds completely random i'm afraid  :) it must be very hard to play exactly like the composer intended, but you could play the notes in a completely different order and a lot of people would never know.

Possibly. As I said everyone is different (which is a good thing otherwise music would be very boring) :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #45 on: 19 February, 2013, 10:41:30 pm »
Mussorgsky - Pictures at an exhibition - The Hut Of Baba Yaga.

Banging, loud, storming, dramatic and almost violent in places.

On a par with Wagner.

Awesome with a full symphony orchestra, but 70's prog-rock superstars Emerson Lake & Palmer did it quite well as a 3 piece if you like that sort of thing.

Crank it up!

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #46 on: 20 February, 2013, 04:58:24 pm »
I rather like a mixture of slow, sombre, and lively classical/orchestral music. Here's what I put on the iPod sometimes when out for a ride:

My favourite use of the 1812 Overture in film has to be the end of V For Vendetta.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

« Reply #47 on: 20 February, 2013, 05:04:25 pm »
Elektra by Richard Strauss.  Starts loud, gets louder.
I went to see it at Vienna Opera House while at a conference in Vienna.  They had two timpanis and each timpani had two men playing it.  Bish-bash-bosh.