Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 60686 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: Heating on?
« Reply #200 on: 26 November, 2020, 05:15:26 pm »
In the urban heat island of the Isle of Dogs we haven't cracked yet but tonight might be a test... On the other hand only a few more days until December!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #201 on: 26 November, 2020, 06:34:16 pm »
Still holding out in E17 but it's a bit nippy in here atm…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #202 on: 26 November, 2020, 06:39:27 pm »
Stuck it on last night. It was -2⁰c this morning.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #203 on: 02 December, 2020, 07:04:02 pm »
Just succumbed.  If you can see your breath in the living room, it’s probably time.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #204 on: 08 December, 2020, 08:54:06 am »
As I've got a bit of a sniffle & a koff I put the storage heater in the bedroom on for a few hours last night.  First time it's been on in several years so it stank the place out.   It made the bedroom a bit warmer , which is probably why I had strange dreams & overslept.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #205 on: 08 December, 2020, 09:34:06 am »
Cuddling with the portable oil radiator in my office, I fought the cold and the cold won. I suppose I should be generous and just turn the central heating back on, I think there's someone upstairs. But cold builds character, ask Capt Oates.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #206 on: 08 December, 2020, 10:50:20 am »
Trousers on!

This week in my unheated office, I have had to transition from short to troos
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #207 on: 08 December, 2020, 11:15:36 am »
Not only do I have the heating on today, I also have two hot water bottles.

Don't know why I'm feeling the badly so much today. Probably a sign of impending illness...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #208 on: 08 December, 2020, 12:01:21 pm »
As I've got a bit of a sniffle & a koff I put the storage heater in the bedroom on for a few hours last night.  First time it's been on in several years so it stank the place out.   It made the bedroom a bit warmer , which is probably why I had strange dreams & overslept.

This year I actually remembered to run the fan heaters at full power aimed out of an open window for a minute before using them in earnest.

Not so practical with a storage heater, unfortunately.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #209 on: 08 December, 2020, 03:13:19 pm »

Don't know why I'm feeling the badly so much today. Probably a sign of impending illness...

Hasn't the outdoor temperature in SE England dropped from about 10C last week to 3C today?

« Reply #210 on: 08 December, 2020, 03:40:27 pm »

Hasn't the outdoor temperature in SE England dropped from about 10C last week to 3C today?

3C?

It has been 0 or lower here for a few days.

No heating in my 'office'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #211 on: 08 December, 2020, 03:45:18 pm »
Still in shorts.
Last night's foray to the Co-Op was errrr....  character forming.

« Reply #212 on: 08 December, 2020, 03:54:46 pm »
Trousers on!

This week in my unheated office, I have had to transition from short to troos

I made the switch from non-lined Craghoppers Pro Stretch to the fleecy winter lined version several weeks ago - and that's with the heating on!

I've discovered the window beside my desk is not totally draught-free...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #213 on: 08 December, 2020, 03:56:07 pm »

3C?

It has been 0 or lower here for a few days.

No heating in my 'office'.

I think we're Souther than you...

« Reply #214 on: 08 December, 2020, 04:21:35 pm »

I think we're Souther than you...

And in an urban heat island too...

Around the Vale of Aylesbury it was somewhere near 0 in the fog from Thursday pm until mid-morning today. My Sunday morning ride was definitely cool.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #215 on: 18 December, 2020, 09:52:22 pm »
Twice this week the frost protection feature on our boiler has kicked in, which has puzzled us. It took a while to work out what it was, partly because it's new for us – this boiler was new in spring and the old one didn't have it, but also because, being activated by water temperature in the tank, it bears no relation to the room temperature. Last week was much colder than this week but it never come on. Maybe the cold water takes a week or two to make its way down from the Mendip aquifers, but you'd think then it would warm up as it enters the reservoirs.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #216 on: 07 February, 2021, 12:26:15 pm »

Been having a lot of issues with the bleed valve on one of our radiators being seized. The radiator has been full of air for months. Which has meant over driving the other one in the room to compensate. After soaking the valve in WD40, and a bit of a brute force, I managed to get it open. It took 17 minutes for all the air to come out. I think this was the last go of the valve, as it was a complete bitch to close it again. The plumbing is technically maintained by the building mangelement company, so I have to wait for them to come and fix it. I've been waiting for weeks. But with -10°C - -13°C on the forecast, I needed both working.

Temp has gone up 0.7°C since I got it working.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #217 on: 07 February, 2021, 12:30:37 pm »
I don't have the heating on at all in my flat most days. It stays 18-20 degrees anyway.

Presumably the downstairs neighbour has their heat on roasting...

« Reply #218 on: 07 February, 2021, 12:32:24 pm »

Been having a lot of issues with the bleed valve on one of our radiators being seized. The radiator has been full of air for months. Which has meant over driving the other one in the room to compensate. After soaking the valve in WD40, and a bit of a brute force, I managed to get it open. It took 17 minutes for all the air to come out. I think this was the last go of the valve, as it was a complete bitch to close it again. The plumbing is technically maintained by the building mangelement company, so I have to wait for them to come and fix it. I've been waiting for weeks. But with -10°C - -13°C on the forecast, I needed both working.

Temp has gone up 0.7°C since I got it working.

J

Sometimes you can blow an air pocket through by turning off all the other rads and switching on the heating/pump.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #219 on: 07 February, 2021, 12:42:32 pm »
Sometimes you can blow an air pocket through by turning off all the other rads and switching on the heating/pump.

Unfortunately it's a communal system I only have access to the radiators themselves. The rest is hidden down in some basement somewhere, along with the heat exchanger.

The upside is that my heating is derived from waste heat from a local power plant, the pipework is routed under the cycle lanes, which helps keep them clearer of ice.

But the downside of being the top floor is that all the air for the apartments below me collect in my radiators.

The other radiator in the room is making a trickling sound. When I try to bleed it, water comes out. This has been diagnosed to: radiator not level any more. Hopefully if building manglement ever get a plumber out to me, they can fix that at the same time...

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #220 on: 07 February, 2021, 12:51:05 pm »
But the downside of being the top floor is that all the air for the apartments below me collect in my radiators.
The upside of the being the top floor is that all the hot air from the apartments below you collects in your flat.
The downside of being the ground floor is that all the hot air from your apartment escapes to the higher flats.
Best to live on a middle floor and get other people's heat while all your air escapes!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #221 on: 07 February, 2021, 12:56:01 pm »

Talking to my housemate, she points out that the the reason there's a stack of paper under one end of the radiator is because it was sagging... I added some more cardboard to lift it up a bit. But that wasn't enough. I ended up using a lever to lift it up and bleed it. Not pretty. From what I can tell both brackets on that end have bent.

I got some air out, the trickling sound has reduced a lot. I'll give it another go in a bit.

Am glad I have welding gauntlets*. These radiators are hot now!

J

* I use them as oven gloves, as they are more effective as oven gloves than any thing sold as oven gloves!
--

« Reply #222 on: 21 May, 2021, 03:57:55 pm »
Heating's turned on.  11C out, 20C in.  Probably need to turn the stat down really.  When do we get some warm weather..?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #223 on: 21 May, 2021, 07:55:50 pm »
Heatings not been off. It was switched from “all day” to morning and evening about a month ago. Profligate perhaps, but my wife is an 8st 77 year old, and feels the cold. Stat set to 18C.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #224 on: 21 May, 2021, 08:02:25 pm »
Mrs A asked if why the heating was not on but Alexa says our sitting room is 21.5C.
Move Faster and Bake Things