Author Topic: Renovating a Victorian end of terrace house  (Read 11087 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Renovating a Victorian end of terrace house
« Reply #50 on: 29 December, 2020, 08:18:05 pm »
What's that holding up ?

« Reply #51 on: 29 December, 2020, 08:24:29 pm »
About 30 bricks and mortar, max, below the strain relief arch. Not structural otherwise BAD things would already have happened.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #52 on: 29 December, 2020, 09:24:12 pm »
Looks like tidy work. Did you do it?

« Reply #53 on: 29 December, 2020, 09:39:11 pm »
Thank you, yes.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #54 on: 29 December, 2020, 10:58:10 pm »
Perhaps you should get rid of the roofer and go up on the roof, it's no more difficult than doing what you've already done. Don't forget to use sharp sand with the pointing and copings on the parapet.

« Reply #55 on: 04 February, 2021, 08:56:43 pm »
Well, there has been a lot happening, I should update.

At present, I am thankful that I am doing joinery rather than takeapartery.

« Reply #56 on: 05 February, 2021, 01:39:54 pm »
Please do update, I'm eager to read the next installment.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #57 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:01:04 pm »
+1
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #58 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:04:11 pm »
Do
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #59 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:04:39 pm »
If anyone wants, I can document the time I tried to put together one of those flat-packed fold-it yourself cardboard storage boxes.

« Reply #60 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:58:57 pm »
Well, here's some highlights.

First, managed to score 7 (yes, 7) original Victorian doors from someone local who was throwing them out, here are 4:

I've hung most of them, as in

Those interested in detail will note a compensatory compensation adjustment, compensating for the lack of rectangular posture for the building. Handsome they are, too

Next, kitchen.

Here's the before

Someone was throwing out a kitchen that had been sitting in their (leaky) garage

view the other way half way through the install

and now it looks like

Windows.

We left these a while back at the start of the process. Since which time, all vestiges of the old have been removed. To prepare for the new windows, the outside skin had to be built back in bond. While I left I could do it, I also felt a real brickie would do a better job. The guys who were doing the pebbledash removal and pointing (and doing a good job) said they could do it. Turned out they didn't even know what was needed :(

Here's the pic of the windows with the bricking they did

And after I'd finished the other three edges

Windows arrive Monday. Stone repair gets done in a about a week's time - repairing the lintel and restoring the fancy stuff for about £500 each window.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #61 on: 05 February, 2021, 10:05:16 pm »
Aw, those bricks are much nicer than the harling. Are they staying like that?

« Reply #62 on: 06 February, 2021, 06:13:05 am »
Aw, those bricks are much nicer than the harling. Are they staying like that?

Yoose been in Scottie-and for a little too long.

By harling do you mean pebble dash? If so, that has just been removed at substantial cost both to us who paid for the work and the guys that are doing the work, who hadn't realised that the bricks are gaunts and so much harder than stocks which is more normal for facing in the area and are therefore taking much longer to complete on the job than they expected.

As the pebbledash had damaged the brick face, they grind back to give the finish you can see. The bricks I have used to rebuild the edge are also gaunts, so have been left slightly proud so as to allow them to be ground back flush and look exactly the same as the rest of the facings. The lintel crack is a common result of buggering around removing the windows, and will be repaired by these folk.

The next door property was in the same family, and had been identically desecrated. Here's the streetview that shows the run of terraces.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #63 on: 06 February, 2021, 11:22:41 am »
I've been in Scottiland forever! Yes that is what I mean (or roughcasting, if you prefer). Looks loads better :)  The poor house will be heaving a big sigh at being able to breathe again.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #64 on: 06 February, 2021, 11:30:53 am »
The doors are lovely too, can't believe they were being chucked. Did you get them for free?

Was just reading this about harling. "Almost impossible to remove"
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/21/pebbledash-homes-nick-clegg

Just looked at the streetview, agree with rr. It's going to look amazing.

« Reply #65 on: 06 February, 2021, 07:19:06 pm »

We haz eyes!!!

(and yes the doors were free!)

« Reply #66 on: 07 February, 2021, 04:59:23 pm »
Before

and after (strictly speaking "interim" as this will be replaced with re-made newel posts and spindles, but on the lower end of the priority spectrum

Satisfying I re-used the timber taken out of that crappy partition to make it, with the exception of the "handrail" which was what was left over ripping some 4x2 down to 3x2 for the windows.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #67 on: 07 February, 2021, 05:23:16 pm »
There's room for Harry Potter too!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #68 on: 08 February, 2021, 10:06:58 am »
 :thumbsup:
Nice one, Ham.  Is the Building Inspector happy?

« Reply #69 on: 08 February, 2021, 11:15:01 am »
There's room for Harry Potter too!

I'm not getting the reference? Something to do with the obscure hole in the cellar door?

:thumbsup:
Nice one, Ham.  Is the Building Inspector happy?

As per https://www.gov.uk/building-regulations-approval/when-you-dont-need-approval and https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects what we are doing doesn't need approval, but we've had structural engineers look to check in case there is need to validate at some point in the future. Everything we are doing is basically quality reinstatement, there's a few things that had been done previously and (IMO) will need attention, but they can be combined with the extension that will need full planning.

« Reply #70 on: 08 February, 2021, 11:24:13 am »
Nice windows Ham. Also those reveals are not easy to get right. DAMHIKT.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: 08 February, 2021, 01:11:28 pm »
What I did was to cut a length of 6x1 so that I could wedge it in and drew a plumb line down, which gave me both a plumb and a square face to work to. What I didn't realise I would have to cope with was the uneven mortar beds of the original courses. Getting the mortar into the bond was fun, too.

« Reply #72 on: 08 February, 2021, 06:45:57 pm »
I'm not getting the reference? Something to do with the obscure hole in the cellar door?
At the beginning of the first book, Harry Potter is living in the cupboard under the stairs because his aunt and uncle will not provide proper space for him.

« Reply #73 on: 11 February, 2021, 10:47:32 am »
The doors are lovely too, can't believe they were being chucked. Did you get them for free?

Was just reading this about harling. "Almost impossible to remove"
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/21/pebbledash-homes-nick-clegg

Just looked at the streetview, agree with rr. It's going to look amazing.

Rendering old stone houses was a big thing in rural France.  Our barn was the only building left in our hameau without it.  Once on, it needs the Mairie's permission to take it off and it was not so easy to do the work.  Pointing old stone buildings isn't so easy, either..  Just don't use Portland.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #74 on: 11 February, 2021, 12:56:59 pm »
Pinky and Perky the pointing duo are using lime mortar for the repointing.

The boxwork around the gallows brackets turned into a faux fireplace along with a cast insert for £5 off Gumtree and a free oak surround off Facebook. (And yes, before you ask, there will be a couple of noggins for the boarding at the top, but not 4x2)