Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195719 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #150 on: 08 April, 2016, 06:05:20 pm »
not sure whether to use battery lights of get a dynamo ...

I managed a 17hr dark stint at xmas time in the dark on replaceable batteries but it was all a bit awkward

I wouldn't worry: you'll not get that much darkness in 3 nights in northern England the middle of summer.

so true
if you rode all night every night you might just get to 17 hours of darkness, assuming you sleep at some points 12 hours should be plenty

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #151 on: 08 April, 2016, 06:25:36 pm »
I've not done too many long audax rides, although do have a 400km and 600km planned before July. To set my mind at peace that the Mille Pennines is actually achievable, I've put together an outline schedule as below, based on an average riding speed of 20km/h. I would appreciate any thoughts that more experienced audaxers have, specifically:

1. as a conservative schedule, does this look appropriate?
2. if I'm ahead of schedule, should I keep the sleep durations the same and build a buffer, or aim to sleep longer and keep the daily start times as per the schedule?

The cut-off time is 1pm on the final day, so I've aimed to finish an hour beforehand, and have also included 2 hours worth of stops during the last 115km leg, so plenty of allowance for the unexpected.

I appreciate that I will need to adapt on the ride to unforeseen events, weather, etc.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #152 on: 08 April, 2016, 07:26:58 pm »
This schedule looks really interesting and is similar to my thoughts - although it feels like I may need to plan so far and then just keep going!....

I have cycled up to 600 km before and will be stepping up to 1000. My thought is whether I ride through the first night to get more time in the bank to allow a longer sleep on the second night or this would allow to 'get ahead of schedule' throughout and I could take the time back when I needed it.

3 hours of breaks on the first days may be a good target, but realistically it can be more than this depending on food waiting times, faffing, issues, etc. I managed 3 hours of breaks on the first 300 of my 600 last year but i think it was more then this as I tired through the second half.

So my feeling would be that if you get ahead of schedule, stick to the planned sleep durations and build a buffer but would be interested what other folk think.

« Reply #153 on: 08 April, 2016, 08:45:35 pm »
See how you feel. 

My experience is that you can't plan these things.  Sometimes you feel good and can go on and other times, things hurt or your legs have no power and you have to stop.

The only advice I would give if you are concerned about getting round in time is to press on when you are feeling good, especially early in the ride, and avoid wasting more than a minimum of your best hours in long stops in cosy cafes - tempting as it might be!

simonp

« Reply #154 on: 08 April, 2016, 10:19:53 pm »
On the Mille Cymru in 2010 I aimed for 5h sleep first and second nights. Third night I got less. I started day 2 and day 3 right at the back of the field but made up time on many who had left earlier on less sleep.

Riding through is possible but it might make day 2 a bit of a slog.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #155 on: 08 April, 2016, 11:11:22 pm »
For what it is worth I plan on finishing with 1 minute to spare. But this ride is defined by the three overnight stops. I for one will be stopping and sleeping. So the overall distance is a bit of a red herring. Unless you plan to kip somewhere in the middle of nowhere I do not see how you can finish much before the finish time. The final day is short so you could finish by 9am without sopping on the final day - but really what is the point.

get back to the sleep control - sleep and ride the next day.

Finish with 1 minute to spare and drink some beer.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #156 on: 09 April, 2016, 04:52:15 am »

Finish with 1 minute to spare and drink some beer.

I like the sentiment, and this'll be a quote to remember as I ride. I'll be sticking to my 1 hour buffer though, if I can.

All useful considerations, especially getting some sleep each night, and pushing on during each day when feeling good.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #157 on: 09 April, 2016, 06:36:27 am »
First thing I do when planning a 600 (would love to have written "600 or above" but 600 is my max to date) is to build-in a one hour buffer - not to do so is a level of daredevilishness I can admire but don't have the  courage to emulate.
Eddington Number = 132

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #158 on: 09 April, 2016, 07:41:38 am »
IMHO getting yourself way behind on sleep on night 1 of a 3 night event is not the most sensible strategy. (I know PBP does exactly that for Vedettes and Touristes, but that is a bit different).

A sleepy rider is a slow rider.

Take it day by day and make sure you get at least some sleep each night, otherwise the wheels will probably fall off somewhere up the top of a great big hill in a storm and there will be no sleeping up there.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #159 on: 09 April, 2016, 09:27:05 pm »
... Unless you plan to kip somewhere in the middle of nowhere I do not see how you can finish much before the finish time. ...

I'd agree with this looking at the timings, the days seem to naturally end well at the central control for sleeping. If you skip these you'llneed to sleep in daylight or somewhere random

« Reply #160 on: 16 April, 2016, 01:31:02 pm »
not sure whether to use battery lights of get a dynamo ...

I managed a 17hr dark stint at xmas time in the dark on replaceable batteries but it was all a bit awkward

I wouldn't worry: you'll not get that much darkness in 3 nights in northern England the middle of summer.

On the other hand, I had to switch on my lights at 10.30 am on Monday (low cloud on Yad Moss) and 3 pm on Tuesday (low cloud on the Kirkstone Pass). I didn't need max power, just enough to be seen by, but it still drains the batteries.

« Reply #161 on: 16 April, 2016, 08:38:44 pm »
Good point - if the weather cuts in, we could need lights on all day.

I was imaging that it would be glorious sunshine the whole way - can't think what made me think that!

« Reply #162 on: 16 April, 2016, 09:25:33 pm »
We might have to factor in fog like the Pendle had as well, I am still hovering on the enter button but worried about lights ;-)

Lets hope for sun and no wind for the whole ride ;-)

Rich...

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #163 on: 16 April, 2016, 09:31:19 pm »
The event's very close to midsummer's weekend, with long hours of daylight. Rain, wind and other example's of poor weather are common but it doesn't normally set in for the day at that time of year.

Andy Corless

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #164 on: 18 April, 2016, 07:21:59 am »
Hi all,

After the snow on the HoE my thoughts are just starting to turn to this event and the sleep facilities. Basic sleep facilities has been mentioned with air beds. No mention has been made of blankets. Will blankets be provided or will we have to bring a sleeping bag? I have improvised a pillow on many occasions but need to know if I need to get the trusty old down bag out.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #165 on: 18 April, 2016, 11:07:17 am »
Assuming the airbeds are the ones bought for LEL and now available to organisers, they also come with rough blankets. I find a silk sleeping bag liner a useful addition.

Andy Corless

« Reply #166 on: 18 April, 2016, 05:28:46 pm »
"Will blankets be provided or will we have to bring a sleeping bag?"

That will probably depend on the temperature.  If it's boiling hot (it is the first weekend of July), you probably won't need blankets anyway.

Andy Corless

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #167 on: 18 April, 2016, 06:19:03 pm »
"Will blankets be provided or will we have to bring a sleeping bag?"

That will probably depend on the temperature.  If it's boiling hot (it is the first weekend of July), you probably won't need blankets anyway.

Andy Corless
I will take that as a yes and raise your "it's July" with an experienced "it's North Yorkshire, it can snow any day".

BB

« Reply #168 on: 18 April, 2016, 09:41:57 pm »
Exactly. That said, I came off the night stage of Pendle exceptionally cold. Andy had the hall so warm, I slept soundly on the bare floor. Watch the Pendle 600 video - the chap who mentioned the possibility of death wasn't exaggerating - I had similar thoughts. Coming off Hartside was horrendous in that weather. If decided if I got a flat, I was calling 999. I just didn't have enough clothes for the weather that arrived. Marcus rode in a coat that I'd imagine could withstand <-10. I'm sure it was a different experience for him.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #169 on: 18 April, 2016, 10:34:01 pm »
Man, that was a grim night. Never experienced anything like it. I could hardly tell which was up or down on the top of Hartside, there was rain coming up from below me with the wind. Horrific.

I had lots of layers, I generally always do. I am very nesh and can often be seen wearing 3-4 layers even in summer. I was fairly dry and just about okay for warmth that night, but never have I seen such ferocious rain as that.

A harsh reminder that hypothermia is a real possibility even at the 'height' of summer.

Anyway, the weather on this one will be perfect, I can sense it already.

Should be a great event with lots of the usual suspects out to play in the hills.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #170 on: 19 April, 2016, 10:17:05 pm »
We might have to factor in fog like the Pendle had as well, I am still hovering on the enter button but worried about lights ;-)

Lets hope for sun and no wind for the whole ride ;-)

Rich...

I'm doom-mongering a little bit. I intend to pack gear sufficient for sub-zero temperatures and blizzards. That'll guarantee a heatwave :)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #171 on: 19 April, 2016, 10:54:36 pm »
this ride looks awesome, has me tempted to bail on my trip to France that weekend.

Even though the photos on the website appear to have been photo shopped. I've been to the lake district, the sky didn't look like that.

Trul;y awesome ride though, I hope it runs in future years, (although hopefully next year will be LEL

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #172 on: 19 April, 2016, 11:09:37 pm »
It's all about timing, WW. Wrynose last Thursday, for example:

And 2011:

Andy Corless

« Reply #173 on: 29 April, 2016, 02:58:36 pm »
Orders for the commemorative event jersey, priced at £36.99, can now be placed by following the link on the event website at: https://millepenninesaudax.com/event-jersey/. Various sizes are available. It's not compulsory to purchase a jersey in order to ride the event.

All the event information, including the route-sheet, will now be ready around the last week of May.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #174 on: 29 April, 2016, 08:17:35 pm »
Thanks Andy

Any idea on sizing for these - are they generous for the stated size or tight?