Author Topic: Wot wok, and other wokery?  (Read 6347 times)

Re: Wot wok, and other wokery?
« Reply #25 on: 29 February, 2016, 10:16:21 pm »
You can stop the juices coming out of the chicken by "velveting" it (google it, it's the standard Cantonese method, but it's basically coating it in egg white and corn flour) it seals the meat, and keeps it juicy as well as acting as a barrier. The other method is just putting the meat in a deep fat fryer for a few seconds before putting in the wok.

Only second outing for the wok, & I tried an impromptu 'variation' of this by coating the raw chicken just in a fair bit of plain flour and a bit of oil before woking.    Hardly any watery juices and end result definitely more succulent, and, it didn't stick much while cooking!   :)
:thumbsup:

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #26 on: 20 March, 2020, 04:34:23 pm »
Today I panic bought three flat bottom carbon steel woks to use on the temporary induction hobs.  I now have a 8inch, 10 inch and 12 inch wok. 

So to season, the instructions on the bag boil water in the wok the scrub with a steel pad then season.

Will they be ready to stir fry tonight?

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #27 on: 20 March, 2020, 04:50:15 pm »
Today I panic bought three flat bottom carbon steel woks to use on the temporary induction hobs.  I now have a 8inch, 10 inch and 12 inch wok. 

So to season, the instructions on the bag boil water in the wok the scrub with a steel pad then season.

Yes. IME you'll get a bit of stickage the first couple of times until it builds up a good blackened surface but it won't cause much inconvenience.

Since our move to induction last year (from gas) I've had to ditch my old wok :(. Despite my advice upthread about avoiding anything fancy I splashed out on a non-stick Le Creuset  :-[. Don't regret it though, its the dBs :thumbsup:.
Pen Pusher

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #28 on: 20 March, 2020, 06:04:30 pm »

Yes. IME you'll get a bit of stickage the first couple of times until it builds up a good blackened surface but it won't cause much inconvenience.

Since our move to induction last year (from gas) I've had to ditch my old wok :(. Despite my advice upthread about avoiding anything fancy I splashed out on a non-stick Le Creuset  :-[. Don't regret it though, its the dBs :thumbsup:.

The joke is that have had to buy a portable camping stove to season the woks as induction keeps coming up with E2 code.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 20 March, 2020, 06:29:11 pm »
We haven't tried our wok on the induction hob since we bought it but given the relatively poor conduction properties of ferrous metal compared to copper and aluminium, I think it would be hard to make work properly. I reckon there ought to be a market for a concave single-burner wok-specific induction hob...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #30 on: 20 March, 2020, 10:40:08 pm »
We haven't tried our wok on the induction hob since we bought it but given the relatively poor conduction properties of ferrous metal compared to copper and aluminium, I think it would be hard to make work properly. I reckon there ought to be a market for a concave single-burner wok-specific induction hob...

Seems to work well just not wok like with the edge like with gas.

I cooked a nice stir fry with chicken pre soaked in a sweet and normal soy sauce mix.  It was fine.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #31 on: 21 March, 2020, 02:22:51 pm »
Decided to prep the 12inch wok just with salt and see what happens.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #32 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:05:21 pm »
The smaller woks I heat cycled with safeway branded toasted sesame oil.  Smelt alright but seems to have left a strange coating on my bamboo brush and rubber gloves.  The are not that non stick, but then I use a metal scraper while cooking so non stick doesn't really matter.  Will get better with use and then gets washed with boiling water and the bamboo brush.

The 12inch I have heat cycled three times with table salt, the pan has heat marks but no idea as I haven't used it yet.