Author Topic: A new audax club - Yellowbelly Randonneurs  (Read 9354 times)

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
A new audax club - Yellowbelly Randonneurs
« on: 04 October, 2016, 10:19:40 am »
For those of you in the East of England/East Midlands we now seem to have enough audax riders interested in the idea of forming a club, working title "Yellowbelly Randonneurs". Thats due to the fact that the primary initial interest is from Lincolnshire and if you come from Lincolnshire you are a "Yellowbelly". However there are others who are well outside the county boundaries who wish to be part of any new club so all very welcome.

There is a Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1518597898398807/

At the moment its getting names together and identifying what we could do, already some interest in an Arrows Team for Easter and supporting the 200 and 400 run locally with aims to provide a full SR series. Also provide some support for those wanting to ride the LEL.

Based around the Hackney and Bristol idea of free membership hopefully it will be self supporting.

If you want to find out more and put your hand up as a potential member go on to the group of "Yellowbelly Randonneurs

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: A new audax club - Yellowbelly Randonneurs
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2016, 04:28:17 pm »
Audax Club Mid-Essex say "Hi" Yellowbellies, you won't regret it! The free membership thing works for us, and we've a growing band of riders, new organisers, helpers...

There's a whole new level of 'Type 2 Fun' out there.  :thumbsup:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2016, 05:27:15 pm »
Can't wait to see the jersey  :D
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2016, 06:23:16 pm »
Audax Club Mid-Essex say "Hi" Yellowbellies, you won't regret it! The free membership thing works for us, and we've a growing band of riders, new organisers, helpers...

Out of interest how much bureaucracy is there in the free model?

Is it just quite simple, a list /loose grouping of folk that come together for audax purposes or is there a formal club constitution, indemnity insurance based on the more traditional way of running cycling clubs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2016, 06:25:35 pm »
Can't wait to see the jersey  :D

High viz yellow covering the abdomen perhaps?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2016, 06:41:01 pm »

Is it just quite simple, a list /loose grouping of folk that come together for audax purposes or is there a formal club constitution, indemnity insurance based on the more traditional way of running cycling clubs?
We have very little bureacracy in ACME and most 'constitutional' type things are discussed over a couple of pints or three on a, for the want of another name, club night that is our infamous Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series rides.  Some of us get volunteered to take on certain tasks such as kitty holder, jersey designer and pusher, musical director, fire safety officer, web site designer, new ride route mistering, general tom foolery.  Most of which you can see in the various ACME related threads on the forum.
Some beer fuelled suggestions even make it to the light of day such as our ACME jersey, Winter BP Series of rides, shiny badges, and stuff like that.
We happen to have a CTC affiliation we can employ if needed that is in place for another branch of cycling activities in Witham, but that's not really necessary if you arrange events underwritten by AUK as you get insurance cover from there.
As Tomsk says, it opens up a whole new level of type 2 fun, make it as simple or complicated as you like  :thumbsup:

ETA: One recommended action of membership of ACME is to sign over all your AUK points to us  :P
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2016, 07:24:16 pm »

« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2016, 01:19:22 pm »
I'm Within the membership area, but not keen on the name to be honest. I have quite a big belly and don't wish to draw attention to it! I also, live in Notts so I'm not a Yellowbelly.

Randoneurs East Mids (REM) perhaps?
Sherwood CC - Squadra Giallo Verde

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2016, 04:20:56 pm »
I'm Within the membership area, but not keen on the name to be honest. I have quite a big belly and don't wish to draw attention to it! I also, live in Notts so I'm not a Yellowbelly.

Randoneurs East Mids (REM) perhaps?

A Lincolnshire Yellowbelly is a term of endearment. Various ideas for its origin from the boggy wet places in the Fens to the yellow waist coat of the Lincolnshire regiment.

The name is from today on the AUK system as a club so we can run events and individuals can list their club as Yellowbelly.

The core at the moment is Lincs based but as I said you can be well outside , even over the Trent past Dunham Bridge (no toll to pay if cycling) and still be a member.

Its a case of getting it off the ground and if the name works fine, if it does not ok we can work on that. Join the FB group for now and put yourself down as a Yellowbelly on the AUK system and join in the fun.

« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2016, 05:14:16 pm »

ACH is also pretty much bureaucracy-free, I like to think we operate as a Thing.

We occasionally debate having a constitution. This is mainly as a repercussion of rule 1.5.1: Complaints regarding the conduct of a rider should be made to the rider’s club and copied to the AUK secretary. We don't have an official way of handling riders bringing the club into disrepute, but handle this informally for now, as per ACME, in the pub.

“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2016, 10:28:41 pm »
Yes, I'm definitely interested in this. Put my name down for Easter Arrows. I've done a handful of DIY rides around Lincolnshire, so might be able to help with routes etc. Also if anybody fancies getting together for a DIY (doing RRTY) please get in touch.

Re the name, how about keeping it similar to the other Audax clubs, "Audax club Bristol/Hackney" etc

Audax Club Lincoln or Lincolnshire or East Midlands?

I'll be up for any meetings to discuss this, especially meetings with cake and/or beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2016, 10:40:50 pm »
I used to be a yellowbelly (Aylesby, nr Grimsby), now not quite an ACME, but somewhere inbetween as a fenlander of North Cambs.  And no I don't have webbed feet, I'm not native.

Sounds a great idea to me if you're going to start generating lots of perms that go south and I can jump onto, and lots of calendar events
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12 on: 06 October, 2016, 08:34:02 pm »
We don't have an official way of handling riders bringing the club into disrepute, but handle this informally for now, as per ACME, in the pub.

I don't understand... do the riders bring the club into disrepute in the pub, or is that where you handle it?

rob

« Reply #13 on: 06 October, 2016, 09:16:30 pm »
I used to be a yellowbelly (Aylesby, nr Grimsby), now not quite an ACME, but somewhere inbetween as a fenlander of North Cambs.  And no I don't have webbed feet, I'm not native.

Small world.   Spent the first 18yrs of my life just down the road in Keelby.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #14 on: 06 October, 2016, 10:09:34 pm »

Lets form the almost Grimsby triangle, I'm from Healing but am now reside in the slightly hillier lands of S Wales  :thumbsup: I'm sure there were hills just passed Aylesby when I were a lad, but when I'm back there now I just can't find them, have chalk quarrys taken them all  ???

rob

« Reply #15 on: 06 October, 2016, 10:18:33 pm »

Lets form the almost Grimsby triangle, I'm from Healing but am now reside in the slightly hillier lands of S Wales  :thumbsup: I'm sure there were hills just passed Aylesby when I were a lad, but when I'm back there now I just can't find them, have chalk quarrys taken them all  ???

I think we were at the same school but a year or two apart ?

I used to think the climb from Kirmington Airport to Caistor was massive, but on LEL I barely noticed it after 4 days on the bike.   I now live in Sarf East London, but have ridden a couple of cyclinggeezers events as my folks now live just outside Lincoln.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #16 on: 06 October, 2016, 11:22:53 pm »
Good to see the interest, so please join the Facebook group so we know who you are. There is also a Strava club for the YRs. At the moment the activity is around forming at least one arrows team for Easter, may be more if theres the interest.

Also a meet in November to support any potential LEL riders, a 200 and 400 calendar event.

We also need to organise a social get together which is likely to be more cake than beer orientated to discuss stuff.

As I said though first step is join the FB group

« Reply #17 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:37:19 am »
We don't have an official way of handling riders bringing the club into disrepute, but handle this informally for now, as per ACME, in the pub.

I don't understand... do the riders bring the club into disrepute in the pub, or is that where you handle it?

Sorry, I worded this rather badly, and meant the discussions about complaints against members are done in the pub, but our reputations are made there as well :-)
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #18 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:37:49 pm »
I am a Sustrans volunteer ranger, and Milton Keynes has been transferred to the East of England region, with Peterborough being the area office. Does this make Your new group my local one???
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #19 on: 08 October, 2016, 12:02:21 am »
I am a Sustrans volunteer ranger, and Milton Keynes has been transferred to the East of England region, with Peterborough being the area office. Does this make Your new group my local one???

Its close enough, you are within a 200km diy ride so why not

« Reply #20 on: 08 October, 2016, 10:16:18 am »
And I do a 200km diy via Ely a couple of times a year. Think I've cycled to Essex more times this (last!) year though. Decisions decisions!

Phil W

« Reply #21 on: 08 October, 2016, 10:19:48 am »
Is there not a group in Milton Keynes?

« Reply #22 on: 08 October, 2016, 10:51:12 am »
Not audax. Given up trying to get more Team MK members involved. Aiming to go for 100 points this year, which would be of more use to another club. There were hints of interest for a central (Bucks/Beds/Northants?) audax club on this forum. With TG at the helm, we'd be a force to be reckoned with!

« Reply #23 on: 08 October, 2016, 12:05:03 pm »
I'd like to start something up in Milton Keynes when I'm finished with the year record. Riders seem a bit thin on the ground. I can only think of myself, Bikeabilityman and Bus Shelter Bertie in Northampton. Then again, that's the whole point, to get more riders.
But my hands are tied because I won't have any time for anything next year.

« Reply #24 on: 08 October, 2016, 07:29:25 pm »
I'd like to start something up in Milton Keynes when I'm finished with the year record. Riders seem a bit thin on the ground. I can only think of myself, Bikeabilityman and Bus Shelter Bertie in Northampton.
and Big Saxon of Buckingham. I might take the plunge and start a new audax club thread with the aim of a (Wetherspoons?) pub meet.