Author Topic: Using proximity alerts  (Read 8180 times)

Re: Using proximity alerts
« Reply #25 on: 22 July, 2008, 01:19:58 pm »
I have used this feature to construct a 'road map' of part of Tasmania, where no basemap was available - just using Google Maps to generate tracks along the roads I wanted to see.

You could upload those tracks to OpenStreetMap and help map the World :)

Careful. You can't upload the tracks you've created from Google Maps etc. Only tracklogs you've generated from doing the rides itself.

FAQ - OpenStreetMap

"
At this point, the usual rejoinder is "Why don't you just get people to click a point on a Google map, then record the latitude and longitude in the Openstreetmap database? That's free, isn't it?"

Unfortunately not. The data used in Google Maps is sourced from NAVTEQ and Tele Atlas, two big mapping companies. They, in turn, have obtained some of this data from national mapping agencies (such as the Ordnance Survey). Since they've made multi-million pound investments in gathering this data, these organisations are understandably protective of their copyright.

If you collect data from Google Maps in this way, you are creating a "derived work". Any such data retains the copyright conditions of the original. In practice, this means your data is subject to the licensing fees, and contractual restrictions, of these map providers. That's exactly what Openstreetmap is trying to avoid.
"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Dave

« Reply #26 on: 22 July, 2008, 01:20:43 pm »
... but it is best to go through the physical process of placing / labelling the WPs yourself ...

I'm gradually coming round to this way of thinking myself.  When sharing a 'route' its probably better on balance to just present a Track (assuming you have one available) and let the recipient make of it what he will, rather than subjecting him to one's own idiosyncracies in the way of Route construction.

Enthusiastic nodding from over here. Tracks rule.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #27 on: 22 July, 2008, 01:27:23 pm »
The default proximity alert on the Etrex H is 15 seconds (not distance) and can't be changed

I like the default behaviour for up-coming WPs too (though its annoying that the map pop-up that existed on the older C model has been lost on the Cx and HCx).

However if Sgt P or anyone else wants to alter it, it might be worth experimenting with the settings under Routes / Off Road Transition.  I haven't played with these myself, just left it on the default 'auto', and I don't have a GPS just now (all 3 been lent out and on active duty somewhere) - but you can set a fixed distance here, which may or may not (??) apply to the turn warnings.

You could upload those tracks to OpenStreetMap and help map the World
Careful. You can't upload the tracks you've created from Google Maps etc.
Indeed.  Actually I only made this 'basemap' because I was too mean to buy Metroguide for Australia - the maps do exist anyway, just not on my system.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

JJ

« Reply #28 on: 22 July, 2008, 01:43:39 pm »
I've been setting proximity waypoints using metroguide as Frankie describes, but not for navigating.  For that I've ditched the waypoint per turn approach and gone over to tracks because IME they require less prep. time.

I've been using proximity waypoints for controls.  They are handy to wake me up and remind me to stop for an info, or grab a receipt on a DIY.  I set the distance to be quite big, 500m say, and the cheery beep tells me to get the card out, look for a pencil etc.

I could see myself using them for "last bike shop/coop/all night garage in 100 miles" too.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #29 on: 27 July, 2008, 03:16:28 pm »
Hi Chaps.

I use a Etrex Vista with Mapsource tweaked to enble "follow road". Even if I inherit a .gpx I usually rework it, setting user WPs at mid points on a road, i.e., not at junctions, then use WINGDB to generate a track (if ICBA). I let the autorouting take me through the junctions, after all, thats why I bought it.

Prior to generating a track I select direct routing and recalc on Mapsource so when I convert the route to track I get the same number of track points as route points. The gps effectively shows the route in both direct and follow road mode.

I run the gps display in autozoom mode so you can usully see the next control or two, so its soon obvious if the gps autorouting attempts to lead you astray for some reason, even if I have not bothered to generate a track.

I post up the Control WPs in red flags, then add in additional WPs as required using blue flags to align the mapsource route to the routesheet. I'd normally use <50 WPs for a 200, so a 200km audax only requires one file. Usully I have the route nailed at 35~40 WPs then add some extra WPs to make it up to 50.

I don't bother with a structured  WP numbering system, though I give WPs town/road names as appropriate, so I get a plain english alert message on approach ("30s to wherever").

It's not perfect solution but it works for me.   :)