Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 227476 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #175 on: 04 June, 2012, 05:04:15 pm »
Dot to Dot fedtival(?) on Saturday in Bristol.
Fantastic event, lots of great bands & a nice relaxed atmosphere.
Stand outs were Beth Jeans Houghton, Lucy Rose & Friends. Already pencilled it in for next year.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #176 on: 05 June, 2012, 09:51:22 pm »
This
http://www.yorktheatreroyal.co.uk/shows/takeover_disobedience.php#.T85uRMV90mT
on the recommendation of that Deano, who said he would hate me if I went.  Consider it revenge. 

To say it was a recommendation from a man who claims to have buried his sense of whimsy along with his inner child in a shallow grave at the bottom of the garden I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from a set of AA Milne's poetry set to music.  In the event, utterly splendid, with a tiny audience of scarcely more than 30 in the Theatre Royal studio space.  He opened with Halfway Down http://christt.bandcamp.com/track/halfway-down - a celebration of liminal space that greatly endeared him to me. There was audience participation.  And a couple of non-AA Milne tracks in the middle that made me snort most unattractively with laughter featuring hedgehogs and road-building jobsworths and giraffes being exhorted to stick their necks out.  And a broken string in the encore, but it really didn't matter.  A very pleasant way to spend an hour or so.  And I took a photograph.

He seemed moderately entertained by being vengeance for Nepali bridges.

He has some other dates coming up - some of 'em free.  http://christt.com/live/

Highly recommended :)

« Reply #177 on: 06 June, 2012, 04:32:12 am »
He is very good. And you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #178 on: 06 June, 2012, 08:22:58 am »
It was grand.  Thanks for the the tip :)

« Reply #179 on: 30 June, 2012, 10:35:19 pm »
Myself and токамак went to see Clive Carroll this evening. He is one of the best guitarists I have ever seen. Check him out on youtube if you are unaware of his work....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #180 on: 02 July, 2012, 12:00:00 pm »
Garbage at Brixton Academy last night. Splendid form from Shirley and the boys.

« Reply #181 on: 02 July, 2012, 02:07:33 pm »
Cornbury Festival. On stage with Elvis Costello. Looking down on the Chipping Norton set. Mrs Ant had already told Cameron he was a fucking wanker to his face.

His intro to Tramp the dirt down is classic.

"You never know who you're going to run into here, and if I ran into him I'd drive a stake right through his fucking heart."

Sorry my vid is a bit iffy, but it was covert. You can hear him clearly enough though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Z8Uns_ocgQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0Z8Uns_ocgQ&rel=1</a>
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #182 on: 05 July, 2012, 05:44:33 am »
Went to see the Hilltop Hoods at the Electric Ballroom yesterday. Amazing performance and sounded generally good apart from the slight monitor feedback issues.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #183 on: 06 July, 2012, 09:52:31 am »
It WILL be the Wickham Folk Festivle, where our gothic morris side will be performing, along with jools Holland, and the Levellers. :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #184 on: 22 July, 2012, 12:16:18 am »
Went to see Madonna at Murrayfield tonight.

The support was awful - some DJ called Alesso doing his DJ thang to terrible electronic music, the sort of thing I hate with a fiery passion.

Madonna was half an hour late starting. One of the people I went with had downloaded a set list from the internet, and we were somewhat apprehensive because the vast majority of it was stuff from the new album. The set list said the oldies would be Papa Don't Preach, Hung Up, Open Your Heart, Express Yourself, Vogue, Like a Virgin and Like a Prayer, and I love all of those except Open Your Heart, so I thought it would be ok.

The first 20 minutes was stuff off the new album and it was really bad. It's all very dancey, in the sense it's that pounding electronic stuff with a thumping bass and horrible high frequency stuff on top that makes me feel sick. The songs were crap and her voice was vocodered to fuck. The dancing was excellent, which is probably why she was using the vocoder. The stage production was all monks and mediaeval religious imagery and incense censures and crosses, then there were a lot of guns, and a lot of shooting and blood and splattery brains and things. I hated that, absolutely hated it. Call me old-fashioned, but on a Saturday night, I don't want to hear vocodered Madonna singing "I shot my lover in the head and now my lover is dead" over and over and over while the big screen shows splattery blood. It was like being in somebody else's nightmare.

Things picked up for a few minutes when she did about a quarter of Papa Don't Preach (but not all of it) and then Hung Up, which is only really any good because of the stolen Abba riff. More unpleasant electronic stuff, a lovely slowed down version of Open Your Heart, way better than the original. Express Yourself all mixed up with Born This Way was great, cheerleader outfits, bright, fun, cheery dancing tin soldier costumes, everything cheerful and fun for the first time all night. More dirgey electronic stuff, then Vogue was good. They were way behind time by then so they cut three songs from the set, unfortunately cutting Like a Virgin and leaving in a load more dirgey stuff, then a stonking version of Like a Prayer (that's always been my favourite Madonna song) and then some crap to finish with.

It was really really disappointing, especially because the good bits were so good that you could see how good it all could have been. If they'd cut some of the new album and kept in Like a Virgin people might have thought they'd got their money's worth, but really, £77 for four and a half good songs is a bit much. People in the seats didn't even get out of their seats to dance for the first four songs. Folk were leaving in droves all the way through, most people were just sitting with their arms folded through most of it, and the whole place only came alive for the old songs. Oh, and she mooned us. I paid £77 to be mooned by Madonna.

And what really pisses me off is if I hadn't gone to see Madonna, I could have afforded to get a ticket for George Michael's rescheduled Symphonica tour that I want to see more than anything. Bah.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #185 on: 22 July, 2012, 04:59:38 am »
I did Eyeless In Gaza tonight at the Swiss Church. Small gig with only 65 people but it was enjoyable. That place is a nightmare for anything other than unplugged acoustic gigs.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #186 on: 23 July, 2012, 11:21:11 am »
Deershed @ the weekend.

For once it was more about arts and crafts thaan the bands, but I did get to see a grand total of three bands...

The Janice Graham Band - BRILLIANT! An odd cross between The Specials and Happy Mondays, check them out, you won't be wasting your time.  http://janicegrahamband.com/

Saint Etienne - Outstanding, I had waited nearly 15 years to see these guys play live, and they didn't disappoint, even with the technical difficulties they had.

Cherry Ghost - the weekend closers and, to be honest, not my cup of tea.  Musically they are excellent, but they could do with just cheering the fuck up.  Miserable feckers.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #187 on: 23 July, 2012, 11:24:35 am »
Mancs are never happy in Yorkshire, innit.

« Reply #188 on: 23 July, 2012, 11:26:03 am »
Saturday night: Mariza and Buika, Penguin Cafe (with Fyfe Dangerfield from them Guiilemots) in the courtyard of Somerset House.  Unremarkable, pleasant.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #189 on: 23 July, 2012, 11:30:29 am »
Mancs are never happy in Yorkshire, innit.

Janice Graham Band are from Manc, and they seemed happy enough!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #190 on: 23 July, 2012, 11:31:49 am »
Shoots my theory right out the water.

« Reply #191 on: 30 July, 2012, 01:20:25 am »
Just got back in from seeing Robert Plant Presents the Sensational Space Shifters from stage side at WOMAD. They were really, really good.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #192 on: 30 July, 2012, 04:07:11 pm »
Springsteen, a couple of weeks back in Hyde Park.  After Macca at the Olympic Opening Ceremony I have kind of got over them pulling the plug on the end.  It might have saved me from yet another rendition of Hey Jude.

LindaG

« Reply #193 on: 06 August, 2012, 12:13:58 am »
James, tonight as the finale act at Stockton International Riverside Festival. It's 25 years since my student friends were all going to see them while I was busy having babies. This time it was my turn. All the energy was still there, great songs, marvellous trumpet and I was there with the kind of mate who I was never lucky enough to have back in the day. I had a really good time and the only criticism is that the set was too short due to council regs and they didn't do Sit Down.

They did Laid instead  :smug:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #194 on: 25 September, 2012, 10:32:08 am »
George Michael, Symphonica, at the SECC last night. His voice is back to perfect. And he did A Different Corner. I nearly cried.  :-[  :D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #195 on: 24 October, 2012, 04:35:34 am »
Went to see Newton Faulkner on Monday for Lyns birthday at Sheperds Bush Empire. It was a great gig, the sound was off at first but it was soon corrected though not fantastic and the subs where set to dubstep levels. But apart from that, it was a great performance!

Support Equilibrium

CrinklyLion

« Reply #196 on: 28 October, 2012, 08:38:43 pm »
Euros Childs (and support, who mostly turned into the band) at Westgarth Social Club.  Good stuff.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #197 on: 29 October, 2012, 04:28:38 am »
I got to see Simian Mobile Disco last night as part of my job. Was very good.

Support Equilibrium

fuzzy

« Reply #198 on: 29 October, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »
Muse at the O2 on Friday.

I do like em :thumbsup:

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #199 on: 29 October, 2012, 02:32:58 pm »
Lacuna Coil, supported by This Is She, at Koko in Mornington Crescent.

Absolutely amazing performances from both bands. Lacuna Coil were playing the final UK gig of their 15 year anniversary tour and were mindblowingly good.

Also, credit to the sound crew, who were either too new to the business to have lost their hearing, or very dedicated, very skilled or very lucky. Or some combination of all of those. Lacuna Coil have what must be a difficult sound to set up which combines very, very deep bass, two highly distorted guitars, an operatic-style female singer and a metal-screaming male singer.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart