Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 228441 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #325 on: 05 July, 2013, 12:32:42 pm »
Just for a change, I saw Half Man Half Biscuit at The Junction in Cambridge last night. The lilac Harry Quinn had its first outing and it was a great gig, though banter free.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #326 on: 05 July, 2013, 01:17:13 pm »
Manchester International Liz Frazer

She's touring???

« Reply #327 on: 05 July, 2013, 03:55:35 pm »
She's playing with Massive Attack at the MIF and, IMO, being criminally underused.
She did a Dusty* Springfield cover, "The Look of Love" and a Russian punk song (I think).
Both were good, although she's no Dusty.
I thought the night was winding up for a rendition of the Massive's "Group Four".
But no. Missed opportunity.
Highlight of the evening was probably Horace Andy singing "Sugar Sugar" although the cover of a JAMC song (I forget which  :facepalm: ) was nearly as good.

*Strangely appropriate given the conditions.

« Reply #328 on: 08 July, 2013, 06:41:19 pm »
Cornbury Festival (Poshstock). Me and the Mrs were laminated up to the tits and had access to all VIP areas and gatecrashed a couple of corporate dos as well ... but none of it could hold a candle to seeing Wilko Johnson with Norman Watt-Roy on bass. Grown men and women, including us, cried our eyes out. Especially when Wilko said "You don't know how grateful I am to be here". Stunning.

After last years, ahem, contretemps, Call me Dave's security kept him well away from Mrs Ant. They ended up putting him in the one place they knew she wouldn't be - on stage with Keane. She was at the other stage - on stage with Echo and the Bunnymen.  :thumbsup:
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

« Reply #329 on: 10 July, 2013, 12:15:34 am »
Another vist to Manchester International (L) Festival, this time to see XX at the Ritz.
And another 3 hours of my life that are gone.

If you're playing a "residency" you would:-
a) Know how long it takes to get from the hotel to the venue
and
b) Sort the sound out

So Why TF did they turn up ~45 minutes after they were due on and why did it sound so shit ?
If it hadn't been 30+ deg. C inside, I might have been more forgiving of the late start but when a roadie came out and crossed a song off the set lists long before they appeared, I knew they were taking the piss.
Arrogant bastards.

For once, I'll borrow the CD and copy it.
Stealing ? I don't think so; they owe me lots more than the price of a CD.

Can anyone tell me why they were wearing black arm warmers ?

On the positive side, Festival Square (Albert Square most of the year) had a really cool vibe.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #330 on: 18 July, 2013, 11:56:11 pm »
Just returned from the first night of the HebCeltFest. Van Morrison the main act. Not the 'dream ticket' but a good show. He lasted 1 1/2 hours. First 1/2 a bit slow with new stuff but got - Baby Please Don't Go (some great improvisation), Jackie Wilson, Gloria, Here Comes the Night, Moondance, Bright Side of the Road,  brown eyed girl, and a couple from Avalon Sunset - including the Goddy one + a couple of 'jazz' classics in the second 1/2 :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #331 on: 26 July, 2013, 12:36:55 am »
Polly and The Billets Doux, at the basement.  Support was Dan Webster and Boss Caine.

First time I've actually caught a bit of a Boss Caine set, which is frankly implausible given that I think he might be York's hardest-working gigging performer.  Loses a point for accent, gains a couple for epic facial hair.  Comfortable and confident.  Had to abandon the penultimate song due to a particularly awkward sting breakage - so Dan Webster popped out of the green room and lent him a guitar for his last track.

Dan Webster I've seen before, albeit with a bigger lineup.  Just him and the cellist (who guested for the blueprints at their EP launch) tonight.  My word, she's good.  I'm still undecided about Mr Webster. 

Polly was a diminutive sweet middle class girl in a floaty frock and bare feet, with a flower behind her ear.  She also has a passion for pickled eggs, a sideline in taxidermy and aspires to one day make a giant rocking horse out of a dead suffolk punch.  An infeasibly tall hipster in skinny jeans and breton fisherman's top on guitars and harmonica and additional vocals, a gangly and oddly-familiar-looking bassist also taking a turn on the mic on occasion, and a smiley chap on drums complete the line up.  Actually, they mostly sounded bloody good.  Some silly instrument swappery, including Polly on the double bass (which was about 2 foot taller than her) for one track, and that's often good for a giggle.  Her taking over the guitar mid-song whilst the guitar chap did a harmonica solo in the final number, a fairly non-standardly interpreted cover of House of the Rising Sun, was pretty entertaining but they then lost me with the wanky guitar solo, massively extended instrumentals and dancing around with a tambourine.  I might not have been the only one either - there was no calling for an encore, although everyone had seemed to have fun.  Especially the two couples that got up and danced - one pair of barely-more-than-teens and one couple in, at a guess, their late 40s who did it with _much_ more style.

Very nearly very very good, certainly very accomplished, and an evening's entertainment well worth the fiver I paid.  I'd certainly give 'em another go - I suspect that a slightly less polite venue and maybe not a Thursday might be what was needed.  And sweet holy fuck, that woman has a voice. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #332 on: 26 July, 2013, 12:40:48 am »
Y'know, I'm coming to the conclusion that, in a manner not unlike Wowbagger's ride reports, CrinklyLion's gig reports are usually more entertaining than the actual gigs.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #333 on: 26 July, 2013, 08:34:32 am »
The Grey Earls at Molly's Green Bar. A tight popular beat combo that mix expert artistic skills with a selection of other people's songs. Their easy on the eye drummer sets the pace for a set of catchy interpretations of recognisable

sorry got interrupted, there was a slug climbing up inside the tent

the lead singer has a corking voice.
It is simpler than it looks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #334 on: 26 July, 2013, 08:44:13 am »
As none of those therein present seem to have mentioned it, I will.

At the weekend a group of us went to Deershed Festival.

During the day plus 2 half days there (Friday afternoon through to Sunday afternoon), I managed to see, in no real order:
The Moulettes
AlascA
Smoove and Turrell
The Milk
Tubular Bells for Two
Edwyn Collins
PSB
Stealing Sheep (well I might have been dozing when they were on)
Plus, possibly, a few others.

The majority were good, Edwyn Collins disappointed, big time.  AlascA were the perfect Sunday morning lazy start to the day music, The Moulettes were fab, every band should have a Bassoon!

PSB were ok, but I prefer a bit more life in my musicians when on stage.

Tubular Bells for Two has to be seen to be believed, really, yes, there is just two people on stage and they do the whole album (Parts 1 & 2!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #335 on: 27 July, 2013, 09:54:36 am »
Kissmet. Rip roaring bangharing set signed off by Whole Lotta Love.

Splendid.

Went off to sleep to the sound of the Malawi Mouse Boys. The rhythmic African gospel tunes splendid as lullaby, belying their back story. 

Saw some sitar, can't remember when I last did. I seem to remember seeing Ravi Shankar playing somewhere, but I'm sure everyone says that. Anyway "Samanwaya Sarkar, a sitar-player who, alongside singer Debapriya Adhykary, forms one of the more potent duets - or jugalbandi - in Indian classical music today." So there.

Later someone billed as a new Bat for Lashes. Mellow, certainly, engaging Post-Mormon tales interspersed with (to me anyway) less engaging music. Jessica Hoop, if you are interested. Or Jesca if you spell it right.

And on to the Siberian throat singers. Fresh from scaring tigers, Huun-Hur-Tu provided a master set of understated, melodic rasping.

Who knows what today will bring. I'll be paying special attention to the Charlie Gillet stage, as the MMBs are on it later and we can probably slip backstage for them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #336 on: 27 July, 2013, 10:10:58 am »
As an aside, two of the biggest cheers I've heard have been for classic rock or punk songs played by world music bands. Interesting observation on the audience, the bands playing for popularity or something else, or nothing?

It's definitely a Guardianista enclave. I keep on wondering why my strategically placed YACF water bottle hasn't been spotted by dozens of people, quite a few of them paying homage to Wowbagger.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #337 on: 28 July, 2013, 01:03:27 am »
Well, what a day.

The Malawi Mouse Boys were stunning. They've been out of Malawi once, one a plane once and played at one festival. This one. It's a long time since I've see musicians so happy to be playing. Even got to sing one line of a chorus for them. However missed out on getting a CD as they sold out, with stock being pulled in from across the site.

Lots of other stuff including a snatch of Arrested Development, but the second knockout set was by Mohammad Reza Mortazavi. Captivating, riveting, stunning. 75 mins of set seemed like 20 mins, so entrancing his astonishing music was. Eyes shut and there were three or more musicians on stage. Open, and there was just him. I was wise to the possibility of CD sell out, so bought one and asked him to sign it before he hit the queue.

Made the German electronic dub step techno rave funk bass duo Schlachthofbronx seem simplistically pedestrian by comparison.

Night all.

« Reply #338 on: 28 July, 2013, 06:18:13 pm »
I've broken myself at WOMAD. Just run out of energy and legs.
Never mind, I managed a fair bit and enjoyed just about everything I saw and heard.
Mrs Ant has been blagging her way onstage at every opportunity and she really got dressed up to go and see her old mate Lee Perry.

I don't know if it was her or the phone that went  misty-eyed when they were reunited.

Last night she went and sparkled on the stages of both Babylon Circus and Arrested Development. I'm home resting, she's back over there doing gawd knows what.
The ever obliging Jaded is bringing her home later. At least that's what she said.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #339 on: 30 July, 2013, 12:35:59 am »
I brought her home.

Master and Miss Jaded had their festival experience brought to a close by giggling. Monstrous, industrial, endless, staggering giggling.

What's not to like.  ;D ;D

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #340 on: 06 August, 2013, 08:07:57 pm »
I was at a gig on Sunday seeing this man:

and this one

Together:

Wilko and Sweaty Norm were on scintillating form. I am sure I was not the only one in the crowd with wet eyes when he changed the lyrics  of a well-known song to "Bye, bye Johnny bye, goodbye Johnny B Goode"

I am also sure I wasn't the only one to get the joke in his penultimate song, considering who was on stage after him. The song was "Don't Let Your Daddy Know"

The following act was this man:
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

CrinklyLion

« Reply #341 on: 07 September, 2013, 02:17:51 am »
Last night, a different Herman Dune at the basement. Support was a Random Sam who I've seen before. Nice enough, nowt thrilling. Then either Turner Cody or Cody Turner, I forget which. As I commented to the promoter after his set I couldn't work if he was actually a performance artist assuming a persona. Hat and 'tache were prob the highlights. So american we concluded he was probably actually from Leeds.

The main man encountered a technical issue in the second song with a misbehaving mic. So unplugged and stepped over the.monitors and went acoustic. I liked. Would have been better without the 3 noisy pissed uber fans who comprised a significant proportion of the tiny audience...

Then tonight Krystle Warren at the Purcell Rooms in the Southbank Centre. Forgotten the support act's name. They were accomplished and interesting and totally not my cup of tea.  Some of the (excellent) company I was in disagreed tho.

Krystle Warren was amazing. Just her and her guitar. Some tracks I knew, some I didn't, a couple of splendiferous covers and the audience singing in three part harmony. She has the most spectacular voice. Worth every penny of the £12.50 ticket. Andnthe train fares that will total 4 times that for the weekend. And best of all, since I booked the tix for this one she has announce a york gig so I get to see her again in the sticky-floored duchess. Next week!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #342 on: 10 September, 2013, 11:42:16 pm »
Krystle Warren, again.  At the sticky-floored-Duchess this time.

Right now, I have no words.  I may do later.

Actually, I do have a few....

Manchester, tomorrow.
Hebden Bridge, Thursday
Brighton, Sep 18
Nottingham, Sep 19
Then some overseas stuff.  Go.  You owe it to your ears.

ETA: and apparently the Sage on Monday.  My word.  That would be a good'un...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #343 on: 11 September, 2013, 09:38:46 am »
Trades Club is a fantastic venue (not that I'd take anything away from the beloved Duchess).
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

« Reply #344 on: 26 September, 2013, 09:45:00 am »
Trades Club is one of those venues that I'm determined to get to, one day.  They have some stonking good bands on. 

I'm slacking here, aren't I? Catch up time....

So, there was the utterly sublime Krystle Warren.  I'd liked her in London the previous Friday, but the York gig was a whole other level.  I even quite liked Gwyneth Herbert supporting, solo this time, who had left me pretty cold the Friday before - in York I still didn't particularly like her songs but I enjoyed her performance of them a lot more.  Maybe 30 people in the audience; when KW came out she unplugged the guitar, stepped off the stage, apologised to the sound guy for wasting his hard work at the sound check and did the entire set acoustic with a sense of engagement and urgency and intimacy that the Purcell Rooms didn't come even close to.  The 3 part harmony audience participation wasn't as impressive but worked and made everyone smile - and huge kudos goes to the one solitary soprano in the audience who carried that part single-handed but assuredly.  And I got to talk to the woman herself after, and my two new friends who shared my table (turns out I taught one of their daughters) nicked a poster and asked her to sign it for me.  I still don't have the words to do the show justice.  One of my favourite gigs ever.

Then last week at the Basement, promoted by our favourite Joe from PPY, Laetitia Sadier.  Blurb described her as french and feminist, so I figured that'd do for me :)  I was subsequently informed that she used to play with a well known beat combo of some repute but tbh I've never heard of Stereolab so that meant nowt to me.
- First support - some name to do with sunsets, turned out to be some dreary chap with a guitar apologising for being a bit crap.  Meh.  I resisted the temptation to be excessively rude about him because you can pretty much guarantee at the basement that you'll be overheard by someone who turns out to be a FriendOrRelative of the talent.  But, yeah. Meh.
- Second support - Alisia Casper, who I've seen before supporting someone else.  I liked her a lot last time.  Less so this time - she was poorly apparently.  Stonking voice, but the songs did nowt for me and forgetting the words didn't help.  Quality banter at times, and the beetroot joke halfway through an otherwise terribly sombre track made me laugh.  Mildly disappointed that she didn't meet the expectations created from her previous set.
- Then the headliner. I liked her, actually quite a lot.  I'm not sure if it was partly the effect of being the thirs 'person with guitar' in a three act line up but I felt the lack of any additional instrumentation.  I liked the voice, I liked the songs, and I found her quietly engaging but I wanted more sounds somehow.  Stupendous accent mind, and excellent taste in stripey tops.

Then for Friday, with a Nikki and a Kim expected to arrive at the Den having ridden their bikes A Long Way to get there, I had discovered that local band Bull were headlining somewhere.  My Mate Soph (the punk fan who is raising her kids to appreciate Proper Music too) has been trying to get me to a Bull gig for months and describes them as 'surprisingly good for a bunch of teenagers'.  Plus someone in the band is the big brother of the kid who has been her daughter's best mate since nursery :)  So I dragged the cycle-tourists out to experience the delights of Fibbers.  Apart from anything else, one of the support acts was the Lungs.  How could I not take Kim to that?
So, first up was The Epilogues.  I think I've seen one of them before, and described him as looking like Harry Potter's younger fresher faced little brother.  We didn't get down to Fibbers til after their set though as we prioritise curry eating over listening to all the supports so we walked in as The Lungs, next on the billing, were doing their last couple of tracks.  Sounded OK from what I heard.  We found My Mate Soph and her husband and her teen son who was playing it very cool at his first 'real' gig.  And spotted MrCharly and Mrs MrCharly :D  Next came the Littlemores, who I've seen and liked before.  Unfortunately the vocals were pretty inaudible although a proper York accent was definitely present which I approved of heartily.  I was kind of hoping it was going to be one of those gigs where the sound check was optimised for the headliners and a bit tough luck on the supports but then Bull started and it didn't sound any better.  I thought they were pretty good though and, like the Littlemores, are undoubtedly better than the crappy sound and the excessively noisy talking audience made them appear.  I'll certainly keep an eye out for their upcoming gigs.  But not at Fibbers which, I've decided, is clearly not the venue for me.

Now, what's going to be next....

« Reply #345 on: 26 September, 2013, 12:50:15 pm »
I've been slack, too.

Yup, that sound was really crap. The Littlemores have some really great lyrics and even knowing the songs I couldn't make out one word in ten.

Fibbers p!ssed me off for three reasons:

Sound

Miserable slow bar staff

Giving 15-year-olds who looked maybe 12 wrist stamps, then serving them at the bar. I tackled the admissions guy who tried to make some excuses.

I don't think we'll be going back to Fibbers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #346 on: 26 September, 2013, 02:55:30 pm »
CL took us to a gig in a murky basement full of unreasonably tall people behind the smoking stops in York.  The sound was both Too Loud and atrociously mixed (though I accept the venue is probably a feedback nightmare), and being in cycle-touring mode I'd forgotten my musicians' earplugs, so I spent most of the night with a finger in one ear in an attempt to hear anything other than bass and my own timpanic muscles.  This made signing difficult, but since I'd foolishly forgotten to bring anyone who could sign, it didn't really matter.  I may have sent a ranty SMS to barakta to that effect later in the evening.

The Lungs were basically inaudible.  Which is usually a good thing for lungs to be, I suppose.

The Littlemores were better, if only because their music was slightly less top-heavy, which gave me a sporadic opportunity to fail to hear the lyrics.

Bull also suffered from the bad sound, but demonstrated musical skill and a high level of enthusiasm that failed to be matched by the audience, who were mostly talking amongst themselves (no, I've no idea how).  They might be quite good in a venue with proper acoustics and a sound engineer who can be arsed to do a bit of knob-twiddling.

To demonstrate how long it's been since I went to a gig, I was delighted to leave suffering only sore feet and mild deafness, without having to resort to either Ventolin, or half a bottle of shampoo.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #347 on: 26 September, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »
I'll find one in a better venue with a higher probability of a competent tech for next time, Kim ;)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #348 on: 26 September, 2013, 06:17:48 pm »
65daysofstatic tomorrow :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #349 on: 27 September, 2013, 01:15:49 am »
Not long back from seeing The Wave Pictures in Leeds.
Definitely worth sitting through two support acts (one strictly OK, one ear-gougingly shit) for. It's been a while since I darkened the doors of the Brudenell Social Club but I think I'll be doing so more often in future.

I have no doubt that a fuller review will appear in due course ...