Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 228462 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #475 on: 14 July, 2014, 10:24:23 pm »
On Friday I went to see Pearl Jam. They were fucking awesome.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #476 on: 14 July, 2014, 10:45:46 pm »
A short while ago I saw

The Grey EarlsTheir best set yet
The Lottery WinnersRather Fun. Norty Northerners doing music and rude jokes
Kiki Dee & CarmeliEarnestly dull
The FeelingDidn't feel much at all. Especially during the elongated covers section
Suzanne VegaAs Kiki Dee but on a bigger stage
Sophie Ellis-Baxters Soup DragonLuckily only managed to see the last song
Jools Holland and GuestsRather Good. Marc Almond was rather flat and sounded a bit dry. Mel C was stunning
Southside JohnnySo reliable and timeless it was brilliant
The DualersNo thanks
Rusty ShackleMumford and Sons without their mum watching and with a drummer
Nina NesbitOne to watch
Scouting for GirlsOne trick rabble rousing wonders
Simple MindsClinically good
Gabby Young and other AnimalsQuirky and not on the list of bands to see again
Kid Creole and the coconutsHe still wears his trousers high. You know why.
Sam BaileyScreechily forgettable
10ccSimple but exceptional. A capella Donna stunning.
HoteiHow to not take yourself seriously and blow the crowd away, definitely a see again
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #477 on: 14 July, 2014, 10:49:26 pm »
Hotei

Simple Minds

Grey Earls

fuzzy

« Reply #478 on: 25 July, 2014, 09:58:53 pm »
Not seen yet but in the offing for this year-

Rewind at Henley (the Sunday line up).

War of the Worlds at the O2

Sparks doing Kimono my House at The Barbican.

Looking forward to all.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #479 on: 25 July, 2014, 10:05:09 pm »
The Ukelele Orchestra of Great BRITAIN are in my local park tomorrow afternoon :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #480 on: 25 July, 2014, 10:18:55 pm »
I used them as my 'favourite music' example when I was teaching databases, mainly so I could make the point that however long you set the character limit on a field to be, some bugger will come along with data that doesn't fit.  But also so I could tell the kids that they should totally look 'em up :D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #481 on: 26 July, 2014, 07:46:49 pm »

Massive security presence to protect audience from performers...

Looks like a cigar box.  Doesn't sound like one...

Freak out!

Clicky here for more ukelele-enriched goodness.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #482 on: 26 July, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »
The Grey EarlsAudience loved it, but the tension from difficulties with the monitors showed up those of us that know the band.
9BachInteresting. Don't think I've every heard Welsh music before. Current ranking of traditional music: Scottish : Welsh : English.
Bernie KrauseFascinating talk on how music may have developed from sounds in the natural world. Also how sound recording can be used to show how man's works on the planet affects animal life.
DebadembaHigh energy African 'rock' music
Magic Drum OrchestraAn orchestra made up of lots of drummers. Magic.
Richard ThompsonEarnestly dull. Only lasted a track and a half before retiring to the bar.
Swing ZazouSort of French tinged 30's flapper band with a bloke who seemed to be meant to be Eno, but didn't have the hair or the talent. When I remarked that we'd heard the 6th track already once there was general agreement. After a couple of pints it was bed time.
SiyayaDidn't grab me
Snarky PuppyStarted 15 mins late, so played a truncated set. They were struggling with the monitors. Fantastic musicians, playing together extraordinarily well, but with music that doesn't hit with me. Their last European set, but I'm sure they'll be back.
Trombone ShortyThe standout set. Musicianship and showmanship tangled together in a high energy embrace. Filled the house, then brought it down. A thoroughly charming man too.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #483 on: 27 July, 2014, 08:39:24 am »
Heard Richard Thompson at Cropredy in 1999.  His set made me glad I was in a nice warm narrowboat full of BEER moored directly behind the stage rather than outside in the pissing rain with the three masochists who made up the rest of the crew.

« Reply #484 on: 27 July, 2014, 12:05:51 pm »
Saw Richard Thompson at Folk by the Oak last sunday. He was pretty good, probably the best act of the day. It did rain though for which he apologised.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #485 on: 28 July, 2014, 02:27:43 am »
Public Broadcasting Service bought Womad to a right good climax tonight. They've certainly grown into bigger venues quite seamlessly. One of my highlights.
But Trombone Shorty pwned the festival.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

fuzzy

« Reply #486 on: 18 August, 2014, 08:12:36 pm »
Not seen yet but in the offing for this year-

Rewind at Henley (the Sunday line up).

It was absochuffinglutley great :thumbsup:

The South (what is left of The Beautiful South)
Howard Jones
UB40
The Boomtown Rats
Hazel O'Connor
Hugh Cornwell
A Flock Of Seagulls
Bonnie Tyler
Roland Gift
Jimmy Somerville
Tony Hadley
Thompson Twins' Tom Bailey

A real nostalgia fets for me.

My favourites were Hazel , Boomtown Rats and Tom Bailey.

Hazel O'Connor only getting time for 3 songs was sad.  Her saxophonist was Clare Hirst. She was fantastic on 'Will You'
Sir Bob must have felt a bit emotional doing tracks like 'I don't like Mondays' and 'Modern Girl.
Tom Bailey live for the first time in 25 years apparenlty. new all girl band to back him up. They were great.

A great day in the meadow :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #487 on: 20 August, 2014, 12:44:56 am »
Sunset Sons

In a pub, a small pub.
Free, but would not have felt fleeced for £12.
Keyboards/vocal
Guitars
Drums
Bass
Good set of songs. Described as 'Surf rock', a genre which has passed me by thus far.

Tight backline, charismatic lead, stylish guitar
Best song was the one before the encores. First encore was a cover of 'Stay with me' which was probably the weakest of the set.

Best audience participation:

"this song is a new one"
"they all are to us!"

Bez look-a-like dancing outside the window

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #488 on: 25 August, 2014, 04:08:44 pm »
South-West 4 yesterday - primarily went to see Deadmau5 (and he was amazing), but was delighted to see Kolsch on the bill as well - if anything, being in a tent, rather than the open air stage, the atmosphere was better for him earlier in the day and he was really rather good and extremely glitchy and twitchy (especially compared to the super-slick Deadmau5) and not afraid to really bend his music live.

I knew nitrous oxide was big (again), but was surprised at just how big. As we left, we were wading through disposed canisters!  Bonkers.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #489 on: 25 August, 2014, 04:45:39 pm »
Galtres Festival

Highlights

Littlemores. Up and coming York band with fantastic lyrics.

Strung to the Sky. Duo with lovely harmonies, great sound

Blackbeards Tea Party. Entertaining as always and boy can they play.

The Lungs. Duo with a great sound.

Good
The Levellers. Play their guts out. Their very old guts. Lead single looked likely to keel over, I was informed by backstage crew that he was absolutely drunk as a skunk before he went on stage. Still a great performance.

Not so Good

Bellowhead. I'd heard great things about them. Well, no doubt they can play - but every song sounds the same, the lead singer is oily and has a very uninteresting voice.

Human League. Meh. Just listen to the CD, live is no improvement.

Sh!te

Tricky. I didn't bother going over to the stage. Backstage manager described it thus "What an amazing talent. Absolutely incredible. What it must take to get so stoned, go on stage and do fuck all."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #490 on: 19 September, 2014, 01:18:50 pm »
A joyous performance from the Burning Hell at York Basement last night.

I've been their fan since last weekend :D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #491 on: 19 September, 2014, 05:37:05 pm »
They were Jolly Splendid Indeed.  And have been on loop all day, while I spent 8 hours trying make sense of updating other people's content on a website that someone else built. 

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #492 on: 01 October, 2014, 09:16:16 am »
More a concert than a gig - Mary Chapin Carpenter with the Royal Northern Sinfonia at the Sage Gateshead last night.  She's stepped sideways from her country origins recently, and her latest album 'Songs from the Movie' is a selection of her work from the last twenty years, accompanied by Vincent Mendoza's orchestral scores.  Mendoza and some of her studio accompanists are touring with her.  It was immaculately performed in the gorgeous main concert hall at the Sage.  mcshroom and I were wondering what Clarion would have made of the sound, which to our ears was perfect.  Carpenter's serene alto was never lost in the orchestra.  She was a humble performer, there to share her music, but I did love her simple black velvet dress with a red rose pinned on the back.  The highlight for me was one of my favourite songs ever, 10,000 miles.  She dedicated that one to Pete Seeger, who died on my birthday this year.  It got a bit dusty at that point in the Sage.

The support is more than worthy of a mention, Benjamin Scheuer.  Singer/songwriter, swapping between guitars for different songs.  The songs were all about true things, like the day he finished his chemo and went for his final test results, and about his family.  My favourite was the opener, 'Cookie Tin Banjo' about his dad introducing him to music.  Lovely stuff.  A close second was 'The Lion' which was about Crinklylion.

I bought the ticket for this gig on impulse, it wasn't cheap, but for once it was a good snap decision.  A great night.
Milk please, no sugar.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #493 on: 01 October, 2014, 03:12:15 pm »
http://youtu.be/qwlnmusOhLw

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwlnmusOhLw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qwlnmusOhLw&rel=1</a>

I like that.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #494 on: 05 October, 2014, 07:30:56 pm »
Arse.  Wrote a review, browser lost it.

It was dead witty and clever, honest.

Anyway, the Old Cinema Launderette in Durham - bonkers but brilliant.  The Burning Hell - I'd travel a lot further than Durham to see them again.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #495 on: 06 October, 2014, 12:30:17 am »
How much did they sound like Slayer with clarinets?

« Reply #496 on: 06 October, 2014, 12:50:07 pm »
Mary Gauthier as part of glasgow americana festival. It was OK, not that good. Thought the special guest, Ben Glover had a better voice. 1st time for me at St Andrews in the Square, great venue.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #497 on: 06 October, 2014, 01:47:18 pm »
I went to see Lulo Reinhardt and the Latin Swing Project at Stornoway An Lanntair last Thursday.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #498 on: 07 October, 2014, 10:50:59 pm »
Kate Rusby at Darlington Civic Theatre.  She was magnificently Yorkshire, and drank Yorkshire tea throughout from a Yorkshire Tea mug.  It can be draughty on that stage, indeed our Kate complained that she was reet Nesh.

She was her wonderful self singing her wonderful songs, and lots of traditional folk songs, quite wonderfully.

I do like her.

Most tempted to see her again at the Barbican York on December 12th.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #499 on: 10 October, 2014, 03:43:16 pm »
Just for a change I saw Half Man Half Biscuit at the Robin2 in Bilston. Urge for Offal, their new album was on sale. Irritatingly I've pre-ordered it, so will have to wait. Despite other people's good reviews, I thought it was rather subdued, but then I do enjoy a good mosh and it never really got going. Saw lots of familiar faces and met some new people too. Roll on Leicester in a fortnight.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.