Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 228297 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #550 on: 02 February, 2015, 10:09:21 pm »
Just don't get him and MattC started on bike lights.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #551 on: 02 February, 2015, 10:12:28 pm »
Yes, I was quite surprised when he said he does all his training indoors because the roads are too dangerous.  But his list of dead friends kind of supported his point, sadly. 
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #552 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:05:55 pm »
The Carducci Quartet at St Georges Hall.

A lovely performance to a packed hall.   I was late getting out of the office so didn't go home, I had a Lebanese mixed grill & pint of Roosters before the concert.  This was a mistake,  I kept nodding off during the first set.  I hope I wasn't snoring....  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6iskscxDes
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #553 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:42:04 pm »
It's a weekend of funny women for me.

Lucy Porter was at the local arts centre tonight. Have heard her on the radio but not seen her live before. An engaging, likeable performer, and very funny with it.

Tomorrow it's Josie Long in Canterbury. I've seen her several times before, she's my favourite comedian, and I'm really looking forward to this new show.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #554 on: 08 February, 2015, 12:24:46 am »
Finally heard a set by The Lungs (thought of Kim) and followed it up with the utterly splendid Wave Pictures.  There were people dancing.  In York.  Joe (everyone's favourite promoter) gast was positively flabbered.  Or his flabber was gasted.  Or something.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #555 on: 08 February, 2015, 12:55:35 am »
Finally heard a set by The Lungs (thought of Kim)

Hope they sounded better than mine...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #556 on: 09 February, 2015, 01:53:04 pm »
The fantastic Terry & Gerry.  I last saw them at their farewell gig in 1987 at Dingwalls. Golly.  They reformed last year. Cowpunk skiffle at its best.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #557 on: 09 February, 2015, 02:15:04 pm »
One of whom is otp, of course. :D
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #558 on: 09 February, 2015, 02:26:41 pm »
One of whom is otp, of course. :D

Do what?   I shook them all by the hand. Bored them to death with tales of how I'd seen them back in the day. Go the EP signed.

« Reply #559 on: 14 February, 2015, 02:13:09 pm »
That'll be me then - now that I know OTP = of this parish!
It was great to meet you Tim!!
Thank you for the kind words,
Terry

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #560 on: 24 February, 2015, 02:31:28 pm »
Saturday I saw The Charley Farley Sunday Four. Mission statement:"Don't be shit". Top stuff.

Sunday afternoon I saw, amongst others, The Hallelujah Junction Blues Collective. No members of YACF in the line up as far as I know. Blues from Chicago to the Delta, but I think it was probably the Mole Delta. Harmonica by Deep South Dave, sc called because he comes from Horsham.  Good musicians not taking themselves too seriously.

« Reply #561 on: 25 February, 2015, 12:28:40 am »
Hurrah! I'll celebrate the unlocking (?!) of this thread with a slightly belated review of Simon Joyner and the Ghosts' gig at the Newcastle Lit & Phil Society. April 2013.

The Lit & Phil is a cracking place, all the famous north east engineers were members, and their portraits line the walls. It has a wonderful library, and the staff will serve you coffee in the reception between reading sessions, it not being a lending library.

However, it is an utterly bizarre venue for a gig. I had bought a ticket on the understanding that it would be at the Star and Shadow Cinema, which has an altogether more down-at-heel vibe, which has bike parking inside, and where I saw Melt-Bananana play a set lit only with their own headtorches.

My problem was transport. The last train back from Newcastle was 22.20, which is useless for any sort of gig, so I rode my bike up, and met a mate for some beer. He did say I'd be welcome to kip on his floor, but he lives all the way out in Westerhope, and by the time I'd got there I might as well ride to Darlo (ish).

I got to the gig, fastened my bike to some handy railings, and had another beer, since they were serving bottles at the coffee hatch. I also got chatting to a bunch of Carlisle hipsters - Simon Joyner's audience has a large hipster quotient.

The support act was a local bod playing John Fahey-Jack Rose type of guitar instrumentals, with a distinct Northumberland lilt. It went down well, with the mostly-very-polite audience.

In the interval, I was chatting to Simon Joyner's band while out for a fag - me and Dave the guitarist are like that *makes crossy-fingers-gesture*

Turns out, Dave had been attacked with the squits, though you couldn't tell by his performance onstage. Jeez, that was some energy, which nicely offset SJ's typically languid vocals. It was an utterly surreal gig, sat on the floor watching the band leap about in front of the portraits of North East grandees. Someone videoed it, and it does capture the surrealness, if not the sound:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-8RzIKcgMc

It was such a good gig, I even bought a t-shirt, and gushed embarrassingly at SJ.

I had missed the last train by that time - however, the Carlisle hipsters invited me back to their gaffe in Heaton, as a flatmate was away. Probably just as well, given the amount I'd drank. I had a cup of tea and was away to sleep in a comfy bed, and I was the first up in the morning - which was when I noticed that the absent flatmate had an expensive-looking laptop and an iPad lying about in the room.

It was a bloody good gig, and lovely to meet some decent hospitality.

(click to show/hide)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #562 on: 25 February, 2015, 12:36:39 pm »
Dean, I'm shocked. 

(click to show/hide)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #563 on: 25 February, 2015, 06:25:21 pm »
I think Deano collects tame hipsters at gigs, as if they are guided to him by some mystic force - all the way from Carlisle, if need be.  There was one who kept turning up like a stripey-shirted and beard-be-wisped bad (although actually perfectly pleasant) penny.

« Reply #564 on: 25 February, 2015, 10:19:42 pm »
Dean, I'm shocked. 

(click to show/hide)

:)

I knew someone would mention that. I assume they were made Not Welcome in the border city and had to move elsewhere to live out their lifestyles.

I think Deano collects tame hipsters at gigs, as if they are guided to him by some mystic force - all the way from Carlisle, if need be.  There was one who kept turning up like a stripey-shirted and beard-be-wisped bad (although actually perfectly pleasant) penny.

Like a freak magnet, but with better facial hair.

« Reply #565 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:35:10 pm »
In slight contrast, last gig I went to was Andre Rieux (sp), which turned outbound be anon evening of popular classics presented with gushing Dutch humour. Slightly shocked by ticket prices, but then I didn't pay for that one.

Next couple are the Aussie Pink Floyd and, my think, The Unthasks. I may be called to London for the latter, which would be a right pain.

Also bizarre juxtaposition last year of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at the Brudenell with the Eagles at Leeds Arena. 

« Reply #566 on: 01 March, 2015, 05:32:07 pm »
Just back from a very enjoyable afternoon at the last day of the Liverpool Jazz Festival,   3 really excellent bands.

Jam Experiment

Rory Ingham (trombone)
Alex Bone (saxophone)
Toby Comeau (piano)
Sam Quintana (bass)
Oren Mcloughlin (drums)
Formed in early 2014, the quintet is mainly comprised of jazz students at Chetham’s School of Music, Manchester. The ensemble is based in the north, and plays styles ranging from bebop to contemporary, showcasing an exciting set of arrangements and original compositions. The five-piece includes the Young Jazz Musician of the Year ’14 Alexander Bone – on saxes.

The quintet formed as a vehicle for composing and arranging, which was the result of a weekly 'jam'. The band rehearses regularly at Chetham’s, and hope to carry on playing together for many years to come.

Influenced by the likes of Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock, Christian McBride, Keith Jarrett, The Jam Experiment play exciting melodies, soul injected improvisations, and chewy grooves, creating a truly original sound.​

The band has been selected as winners of this year's Jazz North Introduces scheme and will be performing at a number of high profile jazz festivals throughout the region.

Can't find a video of the group playing together, but here's the sax player.    You know you're getting middle aged when the musicians are younger than you...... ::-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjc6kAHX47w

White Canvas
Barry Dallman (piano)
Andy Hulme (guitar)
Grant Russell (bass)
Adam Goldberg (drums)

This exciting and eclectic quartet was formed by pianist Barry Dallman as an outlet for his original compositions and his writing is influenced by artists such as EST, Michel Petrucciani, Bill Evans, Michel Legrand and Miles Davis.

Barry has always maintained that jazz doesn't have to focus solely on complexity and technical facility and his own music reflects a love of space, melody and dynamic contrast.

White Canvas made their debut at the inaugural Liverpool International Jazz Festival in 2012 where they supported Robert Mitchell and the Kit Downes Quintet and are currently working on their first album which is due to be released late 2015.

Really liked this lot, but again I can't find any videos of them together,   here's their website http://barrydallman.com/white-canvas/, there are some tunes there , and here's a video of Barry Dallman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVkAVwRlC8U

Blind Monk Trio

Bob Whittaker (tenor saxophone)
Hugo Harrison (double bass)
Johnny Hunter (drums)

Blind Monk Trio have caused quite a stir over the past couple of years in the UK Northern jazz scene, putting a fresh spin on the sax/bass/drums trio format. With influences from the whole history of the genre (Sonny Rollins, Joe Henderson, FLY) blended with alternative rock and eastern folk. The trio’s debut album COULROPHOBIA was released November 2014. For more details visit the trio's website.

"Some bands exude cool and Blind Monk Trio have their unique musical style down to a T. We can't get enough of this fantastic trio. Join the Brotherhood for a Live Music Treat!" - Claire Turner, owner, Matt & Phreds Jazz Club, Manchester

"Energetic, original and quirky - think John Coltrane meets Led Zeppelin" - Barney Stevenson, producer, Marsden Jazz Festival

Blind Monk are local boys and are often to be found playing in The Caledonia, Bob Whittaker also leads "Marley Chingus"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F11dksohTLE

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #567 on: 02 March, 2015, 05:53:55 pm »
Jesus and Mary Chain, Cardiff University Students' Union last Friday. Playing Psychocandy in its entirety. Sounded much better than a 30-year old album has the right to be.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #568 on: 02 March, 2015, 07:13:44 pm »
I hope it sounded better than the actual album.  Whoever mixed it should be shot.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #569 on: 09 March, 2015, 11:05:37 pm »
Saturday night I was at the art centre in Wotton-under-Edge to listen to Gren Bartley's band. The first time I've been to a folk concert. Quite enjoyed it.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #570 on: 13 March, 2015, 10:52:47 pm »
Alasdair Roberts at the HEART* Cafe, Leeds

Owing to work and trains and finding the damn place, we arrived about fifteen minutes before the end of the second support act, which was about enough. It was strictly OK - I mean, I always like to see a handsaw on stage, and a hurdy-gurdy even more, but vaguely folky wordless guitar noodling ain't my thing (unless it's dead good, of course). He was all over that guitar, too, waving about like a main mast in a Force 10. I found myself yearning for the squirly brass which had been emanating from one of the practice rooms.

Anyway, I wasn't there to see him, and despite the tired-corporate-conference air of the room, Alasdair Roberts was excellent. He has an incredibly arresting voice, just on the right side of being completely wrong, and a fabulous accent. He kicked off with the Fairest Flower of Northumberland, which kinda set the tone for a more trad set than I'd been hoping for, but I'm happy with whatever he chooses to do. The annoying support act came on to support him with a double bass, and continued his bobbing-dog antics while playing it (as CrinklyLion pointed out, if you closed your eyes, he was fine, but he did remind me of the old French and Saunders sketch about Meryl Streep holding an orange in the background to draw all eyes to her *acting*).

I'd go to see Alasdair Roberts again, whether solo, in a band, or even with his bobbing-dog tourmate. Not sure I'd bother with the HEART cafe again, unless it was someone really good, like Alasdair Roberts.

*It stands for Headingley Enterprise and Arts, no Riff-raff, Thankyou. I think. The dragons ladies at the front desk seemed a bit scornful at my incompetence with the tickets, but I stand by my assertion that an e-ticket which has to be downloaded and printed is a damn stupid e-ticket. The cafe was alright, a decent range of (bottled) beers, and I wouldn't mind nipping in for a coffee if I was passing. And the dragons ladies at the front desk were very helpful with advice about getting back to the station.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #571 on: 15 March, 2015, 12:40:07 am »
Just got back fro,m seeing Paloma Faith, supported by Vintage Trouble, a good old style Soul band all the way from the US of A. They were good, Paloma even better (TLD was in awe as PF is her favourite singer, ever!). The event hit a high note, literally and figuratively, with the closing song, that being a BELTING cover of "River Deep, Mountain High"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #572 on: 15 March, 2015, 09:15:20 am »
... supported by Vintage Trouble, a good old style Soul band all the way from the US of A. They were good, ...

I'm sure I've seen Vintage Trouble  - I think they opened for the Who when we saw them at the O2.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #573 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:00:48 am »
Just back from the Handsome Family's gig at Gateshead Old Town Hall.

It's a grand old place, but I thought the formal public speaking auditorium didn't suit them that well. They were very good, with the usual hammy husband-and-wife schtick making everyone laugh. Two of us had to explain to a third member of the party why Brett became quite annoyed at someone in the audience requesting Free Bird for the encore. Not enough of Renee singing, in my opinion, but the new songs were good, inhabiting the usual hinterland between Hank Williams and Edgar Allan Poe.

The sound wasn't great - I thought they'd have been better without the amps, though that would have reduced Brett's opportunities to let rip with his axe(s), and that would have been a shame.

The sound also kinda crippled the support act, Daniel Knox. I thought he was alright, but everyone else seemed utterly enthralled. He has an amazing voice, but he seemed like a poor man's Daniel Johnston to me - twice the singer, but not half the songwriter. I'll probably give his records a listen, mind, to see if he sounds better when I can actually hear what he's on about.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #574 on: 18 March, 2015, 11:54:14 pm »
Excellent - I'm going to see them in Cardiff on Sunday. Probably 5th time I've seen them now. "There's a free bird right here".  ;)

I'm just back from Morrissey at the Cardiff Motorpoint Arena. I went dressed as a Smiths fan from 1986, which is what I usually look like really. Started off very promising with The Queen Is Dead and some rather subversive backdrops poking fun at the Royal Family. Who else could get away with that? Very, very slick performance with Moz looking good but a little too much of the latest album (which I haven't got round to buying yet) and not enough of the old favourites.