Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 228259 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #700 on: 12 February, 2016, 11:08:38 pm »
Catching up, last Sunday was a funny night at the Fulford Arms (great pub, if you're in York and at a loose end). Sweet Baboo was headlining, again, he even referenced the previous gig there, where there was a very bolshy short audience member (not CrinklyLion) who couldn't see and chirruped throughout the performance until getting fed up and leaving.

Sweet Baboo was fantastic, still playing on the idea of being a singer rather than a singer-songwriter, and singing wonderfully throughout the performance. I love his effort at it, as he's clearly a bit self-conscious without a guitar, a keyboard or some other prop. A great, endearing performance.

The supports were what made it all a bit weird, though - if Sweet Baboo was Scott Walker leaving behind his folky/indie roots, then the two supports were Fred Neil, Tim Buckley and Leonard Cohen, so it all had a late sixties vibe about it. Except both of the supports would have been better if they'd hoyed out all their Fred Neil, Tim Buckley and Leonard Cohen records. They were both PDG for support acts, but the second support was especially surreal, in his suede jacket with matching shoes, singing songs that were way too old for him. He could really play the guitar and sing, but he may as well have just bitten the bullet and put a Leonard Cohen Best Of on the jukebox.

But we managed to get right at the front, and I wished I had my camera with me rather than just my phone:

Also, Sweet Baboo's drummer looked just like my old mate Adam, so I paid really close attention when he named his band (it isn't him).

Wednesday: Withered Hand and Billy Liar at the Empty Shop HQ in Durham.

"Alright, here's a song about social anxiety, 1-2-3-4!"

...wasn't quite how Billy Liar opened his set, but not far off. A staccato burst of two-minute acoustic punk songs followed, and I think he won over the audience. Such as there was - maybe a couple of dozen people. I don't think I'd have found the tiny venue without my Durham resident sister.

There's such an intimacy about a tiny venue with no amplification, where you can feel the vibration of the guitar strings, and I really enjoyed Billy Liar's set, but my only complaint about the night would be that it all started a bit late - a local band was lined up as first support, who couldn't make it, but instead of starting a bit earlier, we all sat around for about three quarters of an hour, which meant I had to miss the last few songs as I had an 11 pm train to catch.

Withered Hand opened his set with a lovely, lilting but frankly miserable song, and after he'd finished he announced "sorry, that's the high-energy portion of the night over with". He really lives his songs, and his songs are strong enough to survive a solo performance. I must see him with a band sometime, though.

We also got chatting with someone who works at Beamish Museum, and I'm sure she said her job title was "enticer". It was a good night.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #701 on: 19 February, 2016, 03:35:58 pm »
Joe Jackson at the London Palladium last Saturday.  I've lost count of the number of times I've seen him perform - certainly 15+ - and I've come away disappointed only once, after an uncommunicative performance at the Royal Festival Hall that I can only put down to the fact that he was touring to promote an uncharacteristically mediocre album.

Saturday, on the other hand, was very good. Joe played the first part of the set solo (I'm the support act, he said), which gave him the opportunity to demonstrate what an excellent pianist he is, before bringing on his long-time bass player, Graham Maby, and a guitarist and drummer for the rest of the 2 hour show. He was in chatty mode, occasionally talking about how songs came to be written or sharing anecdotes.  A story about being asked to perform in a Joni Mitchell tribute show in New Orleans was a great lead-in to a blistering jazz interpretation of Big Yellow Taxi.

Naturally, a good part of the set was given over to material from his latest album and, for the most part, he had selected what I think are the strongest songs.  They were interspersed with songs from the back catalogue but, disappointingly, nothing from any of his albums since 'Big World', which was 30 years ago.  He seems to have settled on a core "greatest hits" selection that get played at most gigs, interspersed with just the occasional surprise, and leans a little too much on his 'Night and Day' album for my liking.  I'd have liked to hear some songs from more recent albums like 'Rain' and 'Volume 4'.

20 years ago, Joe would stand at the mike for most of the show but these days he remains at the piano and, while he can't reach (or doesn't try to) some of the high notes in his older songs, overall, his voice seems to have become stronger and lost the slightly sneering tone that it had in his early days.  The band was excellent; superbly tight and strong on the backing vocals. 

At the end, Joe seemed quite overwhelmed by the audience reaction - "whenever I come back to the UK to do a show, I'm never sure what to expect," he said.  All in all, a good night and I'm already looking forward to next time around.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #702 on: 21 February, 2016, 10:54:50 pm »
That's a lovely review, Redlight. I only really know the odd Joe Jackson song, and it sounds like my loss.

« Reply #703 on: 21 February, 2016, 11:08:55 pm »
Two-gig weekend - first up, the Wave Pictures at the Crescent in York, accompanied by CrinklyLion and CrinklyCub the Elder (I mean we went to the gig together, they weren't the support act). I think CCtE enjoyed his first club gig (the venue is a former working men's club in the middle of York), though it was a very late night for him.

What a night it was. The two supports were excellent - first up, Chorusgirl, pretty much a power pop band reminiscent of 90s Britpop, but they had some good tunes, and they were a really tight band. Matching white t-shirts too -  they should really look into giving it the full-on Rocket from the Crypt sharp suits-and-slicked-backed-hair look, then they'll go far.

Second support was the brilliant Tigercats, who put on a really freewheeling, joyous set. Can't say I'm sure about the vocalist, especially after listening to the records, but the band were great, and there were some great noises coming from stage right, where the guitarist I couldn't see was standing, and who later came on to join the Wave Pictures.

Tigercats were also noteworthy for their bouncing-labrador-puppy of a bassist and his amazing floppy hair, jigging away at stage left. This could also be seen later in the night, when I think the entire band were right upfront, dancing like loons to the Wave Pictures.

It's a point worth stressing - the Wave Pictures got a York crowd dancing :o I don't think I've seen the band on finer form. All the bits that I love were there, the crisp sound, the luscious solos, there were no awkward moments at all, and it was fantastic. You can't beat seeing a rock n roll band at the top of their game.

Saturday was a different night, a jazz-folk-classical Indian fusion provided by James Yorkston, John Thorne and Suhail Khan.

Finding the venue (Fruit) was the first issue, it's buried away in all the renovation going on for Hull's city of culture 2017 moment. And there's a warehouse next door with the same name but better signs. We worked it out.

The music that's playing in a venue is always a good sign - the Crescent were playing the Television Personalities on Friday (though by the third time around, I thought they could have probably changed the CD), and Fruit was playing some really early Go-Betweens, of which I approved. They also had the most astonishing choice in beer - too much choice, really, and I commented to a couple of Tykes that if they were looking for the cheapest drink, it just wasn't there. They really need to put a sensible session ale on draft, rather than really nice-but-incredibly strong-and-expensive American imports. The weakest was about 5%.

I think CrinklyLion came down on the side of liking the support act, but I'm still broadly undecided. If you like performance cellists pushing the limits of celling, she may be your thing, and she was undoubtedly talented and wonderfully engaging inbetween playing, but it veered too much towards performing arts for me, and I struggled to keep a straight face during the first couple of numbers. I did nip out for a smoko, but you could still hear from outside, so I decided I may as well endure it from a comfy seat. Fruit has very comfy seats as well as two A4 sheets of beer choices. She could really play that cello, and very occasionally made it give out a wonderful noise, and she could sing, but I disagreed with her formal very formal vocal style, and mostly it was fucking about with the cello rather than letting it sing. When she did the throaty Marianne Faithfull impression, her vocals were far better. It was just lost on me, really.

Anyway. Bizarre as a jazz-folk-classical Indian fusion sounds, it not only works, but it's astonishingly powerful. They kicked off by not really kicking off, as we weren't sure where the tuning stopped and the performance started, but it became a great frenzy of noise. Yorkston gave us one of his rambling anecdotes (we heard the same one in Edinburgh, and CL pointed out that the urge to heckle "we've heard this before" or "your Selkirk accent was better" was almost overwhelming) and generally guided proceedings along, on the reasonable assumption that most of the audience (26 by his reckoning) had come to see him, and gave the other two lads space to play. Yorkston has a very self-deprecating air which is thoroughly unmerited, as he's a very fine guitarist* and sings wonderfully, but I think anyone onstage with Suhail Khan would feel like a clodfooted clown by comparison. He just sat there and brought the sound down from heaven.

Go and see it if you can, it's nowhere near as worthy middle-class as I've probably made it sound. Apart from the support.

http://yorkstonthornekhan.com

*I think - I know nowt about the technicalmawatsits of playing music.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #704 on: 22 February, 2016, 03:03:59 am »
VickI Swan and Jonny Dyer at the Green Note in Camden a week ago.
http://www.swan-dyer.co.uk/

Lovely people, fun evening, organic veggy bar snacks. I had last run into them at Tenterden festival last year where I had been forced to go in drag, but this time I was out as Me (and with a stripped down cheapo handbag just in case of meeting the Wrong Sort on the way home). I had purchased a copy of their last album, which should come with a booklet with all the music and lyrics in, and didn't so one came back with me free.

Jonny is one of those gentle men with a slight stammer that disappears when he sings, and a smile that could almost turn me heterosexual.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #705 on: 22 February, 2016, 07:07:40 am »
Two-gig weekend - first up, the Wave Pictures at the Crescent in York, accompanied by CrinklyLion and CrinklyCub the Elder (I mean we went to the gig together, they weren't the support act). I think CCtE enjoyed his first club gig (the venue is a former working men's club in the middle of York), though it was a very late night for him.

He has confirmed that he did indeed.  It was a long, though excellent, gig and he was a bit 'sensory overloaded' by the end so, combined with the late hour, he'd started to shut down a bit.  Having discussed it with him, he still preferred getting there early while the venue was fairly empty to watch the lot (he was always massively anxious if he arrived at birthday parties once they were in full swing too) although I have pointed out that he won't always be as lucky with support acts. He certainly wants to go see some other stuff with me anyway!

I think CrinklyLion came down on the side of liking the support act, but I'm still broadly undecided.
Although probably much too clever for me, she kind of won me over.  Definitely not Snow Apple, at least :D

Go and see it if you can, it's nowhere near as worthy middle-class as I've probably made it sound. Apart from the support.

http://yorkstonthornekhan.com
I don't particularly like male voices (strongly prefer the sound of women singing) and don't really 'get' instrumental stuff (not clever enough, see above...), and there was quite a lot of both.  But this was unbelievably beautiful and for the second time, albeit for very different reasons, Yorkston nearly made me cry. 

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #706 on: 22 February, 2016, 01:24:40 pm »
Woo, we haz Explosions In The Sky ticquets for that Manchester :)

I has Brizzle ones cos of my bro- looking forward to it!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #707 on: 26 February, 2016, 09:55:05 pm »
The Darlington Big Band and The Little Big Band, they generously did a fundraiser for our Church funds.  We raised £400!  Hurrah!

They were absolutely excellent.  St Matthew and St Luke's Church has very good acoustics, which helped.  The fact that some of the band members are off to University to continue to study music is indicative of the quality of musician here.  They played some technically difficult stuff, pretty faultlessly, and the swing numbers all swung along infectiously.  It was bloody good value for a fiver, tea and jaffa cakes included.

Some of the pieces were new to me, probly because they'd been specially written for the band by various composers and musicians.  I knew other pieces pretty well.  'Night Train' was a real treat.

They're playing at the Darlington Jazz Festival in a couple of weeks.  Worth a trip, I reckon.
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #708 on: 26 February, 2016, 10:10:29 pm »
Today has been a "book tickets" day.

First up, Nathaniel Rateliffe at Leeds O2, in November.
Then I got tickets for Terrorvision at Manchester Ritz, again in November.
Then, after a conversation over dinner, I got 3 tickets for Terrorvision at Holmfirth, in May (TLD 's first TV gig!)
Finally, and this is not a typo, Nathaniel Rateliffe, again, in Colorado, in August....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #709 on: 27 February, 2016, 10:45:08 am »
Puscifer at the Bridgewater Hall on 30th May (the May bank holiday).  Hey Tiermat, if you want to go, I'll go halves on petrol?

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #710 on: 27 February, 2016, 11:26:18 am »
Howard Jones at The Apex last Sunday 21st. I've never paid him any interest but Mrs W was a big fan in her teens so was v keen to go. I have to admit that I really enjoyed the performance. It was just him with a piano and I wasn't sure how well his synth pop tunes would work in that format but the bloke's a brilliant keyboard player and everything held together superbly.
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #711 on: 27 February, 2016, 11:30:12 am »
Twenty-One Pilots at the Brixton Academy. I felt old and a bit out of place (I was accompanying Miss W and some of her friends). Good show, but I was glad to be home afterwards.
Pen Pusher

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #712 on: 28 February, 2016, 08:04:56 am »
Puscifer at the Bridgewater Hall on 30th May (the May bank holiday).  Hey Tiermat, if you want to go, I'll go halves on petrol?

Already booked up for that weekend, sorry. I may also have reached the limit of my concert budget, especially with the Colorado gig!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #713 on: 03 March, 2016, 08:56:17 am »
Last night at Concorde 2 in Brighton Turin Brakes. It was great thank you very much.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #714 on: 13 March, 2016, 08:58:44 am »
A bit big for a "gig" maybe and at least as much about the visuals as the music, but last night in that London, Jeff Wayne conducting War of the Worlds.  A good time was had.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #715 on: 13 March, 2016, 06:58:28 pm »
Peter Hook and the Light at the tramshed  Cardiff on Thursday. Good gig, enjoyed it and Mrs Tween loved it.

First time at the tramshed and it will not be the last. What a revelation to find beverages worthy of consumption rather than the usual choice at gigs : cryogenic camel piss or vinegar in red or white. All the staff were friendly and the place is big enough to have a good atmosphere but still pleasantly small. We spent the whole time on the railings at the front and even though there was a group really cutting loose in the middle recapturing their youth no one was annoyed or would be purple in the morning.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #716 on: 14 March, 2016, 10:47:41 am »
Blackbeard's Tea Party at the Borderline. Bloody marvellous live band- damn good at what they do and obviously having a ball! Shame the beer was so bloody awful.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #717 on: 17 March, 2016, 02:59:57 pm »
Is non-music allowed?

Saw Sarah Millican last night. I've always found her funny since I first heard her (on the radio I think) several years ago. However, seeing her live I have increased respect, especially her handling of the school bully :thumbsup:. Great show, great night.

Pen Pusher

« Reply #718 on: 17 March, 2016, 04:35:33 pm »
Akhnaten at ENO.  Stunning production but the synchronised juggling wore a bit thin by the 3rd act!
The sound of one pannier flapping

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #719 on: 17 March, 2016, 09:52:51 pm »
WTAF is going on? No gigs forever and then everyone we like suddenly decides they're going to play Manchester in the same month - not on the same weekend we're down there unfortunately....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

fuzzy

« Reply #720 on: 18 March, 2016, 01:38:43 pm »
WTAF is going on? No gigs forever and then everyone we like suddenly decides they're going to play Manchester in the same month - not on the same weekend we're down there unfortunately....

They've heard all about you and are avoiding you.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #721 on: 21 March, 2016, 03:40:02 pm »
Steve Tilston accompanied by Keith Warmington playing the arts centre in Wotton-under-Edge.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #722 on: 23 March, 2016, 10:44:23 pm »
Wolf Alice @ Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall

I've not been to this kind of thing for such a long time, so I was a bit nervous about it. And the opening act did nothing to assuage my fears - a trio of callow youths in need of a haircut, going by the name of Bloody Knees. It was when I caught myself thinking "All the songs sound the same!" that I started to fear I was turning into my dad. I didn't quite get as far as "Is that a boy or a girl?" though. The Kids in the moshpit seemed to quite like them, but even from the comfort of my seat on the balcony, I didn't feel like I was far enough away from the stage.

Next up were Swim Deep. Now, I've listened to one of their long-players before and actually quite liked it, so I was looking forward to seeing them and accordingly moved down from the balcony (leaving all my fellow old duffers behind) to the rear of the main dancefloor. They were pretty good. The sound was shite, mind you (and I began to feel some sympathy for Bloody Knees, suspecting that having to be their own roadies - half-heartedly assisted by a 12yo who looked like he'd showered far too recently to be a professional muso-techie - and not getting the chance for a proper sound-check meant I hadn't seen them in their best light). But sound quality aside, I really enjoyed Swim Deep's performance. The front man is a real Rock StarTM and the keyboard player was whooping it up like he was the band's biggest fan (I later found out that he had only recently joined the band, so I wouldn't be surprised if he won his slot in the line-up in a competition). They finished on a rather splendid 8-minute spectacular called Fueiho Boogie which almost made me want to dive into the moshpit, though I settled for just tapping my feet and clapping enthusiastically. Magic.

There was quite a bit of faffing about on the stage before Wolf Alice came on - a pair of grizzled old roadies who really looked like they actually knew what they were doing very meticulously setting up the stage. And boy, did it pay off. Wolf Alice put on a proper show. Very slick, near perfect sound quality, great performers and fantastic songs. Ellie Rowsell is a mesmerising frontwoman. Wow. It was getting a bit lively on the dancefloor by the time they came on, but rather than pull back, I let myself get drawn into it and just cast off my inhibitions. Had a flipping marvellous time. Totally drenched in sweat by the end of the set - not all of it my own.

They saved my favourite song, Blush, for the encore - I am convinced this is one of the finest rock songs of the last ten years and the live rendition was totally spellbinding. The rest of the set was mostly a run through the album, and I'm sure that the fact they've been performing most of these songs for at least a good two years now is part of the reason it was all so polished. Would have liked to hear some new stuff though.

Great to remember what I always used to love about gig-going, though I can't help regretting that I ever stopped. Must make more effort to do these things in future before I really am too old to enjoy them.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #723 on: 23 March, 2016, 11:22:25 pm »
Ray Mears at Darlington Civic Theatre.  A treat from a dear friend.

Inspiring stories of endurance.  He delivers the stories very well, and very professionally.  A short Q+A as well.  His real gift was the way he gave a sense of the people whose stories he was telling, especially those he had met in person. 

Much food for thought that probably left much of the audience in a reflective mood.  There was a group of DofE kids in the audience, in fact there were many young people, which was great - they're interested in being outdoors, and in being self-sufficient. 

A lovely way to spend an evening.  I wish we'd had better seats though, we were right up in the upper circle - it had nearly sold out by the time we booked.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #724 on: 27 March, 2016, 11:00:04 pm »
We went to see Limehouse Lizzy again on Saturday. Missed the support band as we had been working all day and had a hour's drive to the gig.

Singer/bassist Wayne (Phil Lynott) is still recovering from shoulder surgery, and in his place was ex Saxon bassist Paul Johnson.

A really good gig, helped by an enthusiastic audience.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...