Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 228263 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #750 on: 12 May, 2016, 10:11:35 am »
Elvis Costello, solo, last night, in London.  An eclectic mix of old songs, new songs from a musical he is co-writing and a few covers. If he occasionally went a little over the top with the various effects pedals ("Watching the Detectives" was a bit of a mess, for example) his blistering version of "I Want You" more than compensated for the excess.

He also brought his support act, Larkin Poe, on for several songs, which made the show even more visually appealing :demon:

It was a lengthy set. He played until about 11.15, which unfortunately meant that my friend had to leave before the end to catch her last train - she wasn't the only one from the look of it; there were quite a few empty seats by the time he closed with "Peace, Love and Understanding".

Overall, a good, rather than great, show. But well worth it.  There are still tickets available for some of the nights this week. I'd recommend it, even if - like me- you're an long-term admirer rather than an out and out fan.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #751 on: 13 May, 2016, 12:16:18 am »
Repeat performance of one from three months ago - Ben Poole (small English) and Stevie Nimmo (large Scottish) for a couple of hours of blues-rock Splendid.  Bassist Matt and drummer Craig played both sets; Ben Poole also has a keyboard player who clearly goes to the same barber as Bradley Wiggins.  They all seemed a fair bit sharper than last time, as well they might after a further fifty-odd gigs this tour.  Recommended.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #752 on: 13 May, 2016, 11:04:08 pm »
I was feeling a bit down so my friend Ian dragged me out to see an Adam and the Ants tribute act at the Quakerhouse in Darlo.

Worst.  Tribute band.  Ever. 

I used to be a fan of the Kings of the Wild Frontier and this was almost parody.  Ian isn't a tall man and he was behind an eight foot man in a ponytail.  The man standing beside us had shit himself, from the stench coming from his trousers.  You couldn't get to the bar because, well, it's the Quakerhouse to be fair.  We left after the first set because we're getting old and wanted our beds.

I've never laughed so much in my life.  What a great night.  Knackered now.
Milk please, no sugar.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #753 on: 14 May, 2016, 05:45:48 pm »
an Adam and the Ants tribute act

Mind still boggling at this concept.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #754 on: 18 May, 2016, 12:43:48 am »
First The Burning Hell gig of the week - I'm slightly stalking them, but not to the extent of going up to Aberdeen tomorrow or Glasgow on Friday. Though there are loads of decent bands play the Lemon Tree... And they're playing Spanky Van Dyke's in Nottingham next week - it has to be worth going there just for the name, but I'd be really disappointed if it turns out to be the Roxy rebranded.

The support was... well, he might have said, but there was so much reverb that you couldn't understand him. It was all a bit J Mascis, without the energy. But with all the hair. I kept waiting for him to really cut loose on his axe, but he never did. J Mascis plays Galaxie 500, maybe. 

Enough 80s US indie references already. Onto the main act, who were actually the second support, as the actual second support had van issues, and were going to be late. Great news for me, as I could make the early train rather than the slow-as-snot train at 20 to 1 which takes twice as long to reach Darlo as normal.

But, I'd have tolerated that train to see the Burning Hell. They're such a joyous band live, sharp lyrics and freewheeling tunes, and even an electric clarinet wig-out. I have seen them a lot the last couple of years, and it was a bit surreal to hear them sing a song about being rescued from Scotch Corner by a magical mechanic, when last year I heard them tell the anecdote. They do good t-shirts, too.

They're playing Mickleton* on Saturday - I have tickets. I might even stalk them properly and go see them at MIMA** on Monday.

* It's in Teesdale
** Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art. Yes, Middlesbrough has museums.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #755 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:59:49 pm »
Not me sadly, but friends have just seen Bruce Springsteen in Spain.

Sang 33 songs in 3 hours 45 minutes. They were very very happy bunnies. Certainly had their money's worth I'd say.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #756 on: 22 May, 2016, 08:58:54 pm »
Second Burning Hell gig of the week :D

I was astonished at the marvellous set-up they have at Mickleton Village Hall. It ain’t like no other village hall I’ve been in. They’re obviously proud of the acts they get to play there, and they’ve lined the walls with posters of past acts. Plus a full bar, and a pie-and-pea supper was the icing on the cake, or the peas on the pie. PSA for vegetarians: flesh pies only, though they’d probably be accommodating with some warning. We ate beforehand, otherwise I’d have had the pie and Peter would’ve had the peas. It had the air of a decent working mens’ club, with a crowd that most bands would love - quietly appreciative at worst, and prepared to dance, sing along, whatever.

We arrived early, and sat through the perfectly-adequate support acts. Can’t remember the first guy’s name, but his stand-out song was one about being a parent in the Facebook age, and made him sound about a million years old. Pretty much unobjectionable, and decent enough for a first support.

Second up - the Dan Webster Band. Bit of an egotistical name, I thought, especially as he was clearly outclassed by his band of mandolin, double bass and cello. It’s always good to see a bit of slapping-the-strings double bass action. But they were proper musicians who were just playing with him for the gig. Lovely warm sound, annoying strangulated American accent which meant you couldn’t hear the words. Strictly OK, and definitely at the right spot in the line-up. Peter was gently heckling him during his mid-song banter when he’d have better spent his time actually tuning his guitar. Dan, not Peter.

Finally The Burning Hell. The sound wasn’t perfect, so it was hard to pick up some of the words when Matthias was verbalising at a million miles an hour during Grave Situation and a couple of the newer ones, but that’s a minor quibble which I’m only mentioning as the raffle ticket paid for the sound tech. They were fantastic, again, a similiar set to Tuesday but different enough that I don’t think I’ll be bored on Monday. They even finished their first encore with a cover of La Bamba which had the whole place bouncing. I reckon that’s a local favourite which they were asked to play, and it bloody worked. The band even got the guitarist to sing - I’ve never heard him say a word onstage, and I don’t think they ever bother miking him up, so I was fairly surprised. He could sing pretty well, too, but maybe his nerves explain why he was rarely seen without a pint in his hand all night and looked a bit more out-of-it than usual onstage. Mind you, La Bamba is a great boozy song, so it all worked out. There was some amazing dancing on the go, too - I assume this was in reference to the line in Wallflowers, “when I dance, people think I have some rare syndrome or disease” and if so, it was well done.

After the first encore that everyone knows is coming, there was a second, proper encore, and the audience en masse decided that they’d make their cabbies wait rather than leave early. It was Grown-Ups, for those who know the band.

Yes, I loved it, and they were great even by their high standards, though there was a little part of me watching Uncle Peter to see what he made of it. If he really didn’t enjoy it, then he’s an accomplished liar and not to be trusted under any circumstances. That might be true anyway.

(Jonah on bass was Peter's comment - I can't see it myself ;) )

« Reply #757 on: 24 May, 2016, 12:19:44 am »
Another day, another Burning Hell gig.

I've not deliberately stalked them, and I've stopped stalking them now, and soon I'll stop boring you lot. But they have a thing for Teesside and Teesdale, and it's mutual.

What a great venue there is in the making at the Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art. The Waiting Room (famous Teesside vegetarian/vegan restaurant) has also set up shop at the cafe, and you can now get a damn good meal to go with your gig experience.

The support, it turns out, was Dressed Like Wolves. He never said. We spent ages trying to work out where we knew him from, and eventually we realised he was the waiter from the Waiting Room who wore the most astonishingly baggy ganzie while waiting tables. Good to see he was maintaining his reputation as the worst-dressed man on Teesside (and taking the pressure off me) with his shorts. Not even wolves would have worn these...

I enjoyed their set, though I would have probably enjoyed it more if I could've heard the words.

One of the reasons I've been happy to go and see three gigs on the same Burning Hell tour is how mutable they are. I've seen them in a WMC, a village hall and a museum within a week, and each set has been different. Tonight they played with the huge echoes created by the space, and tret us to a version of Kings of the Animal Kingdom, a song full of bathos and genuine heartache. The crowd was a bit unwilling to sing along, but there were quite a few Fuck the Governments echoing up the chamber. It all worked, it was great, and Peter was right - that drummer is really short.

Probably the best line of the night - during the intro to The Song About Sportsball, was a brief congrat to Middlesbrough for being promoted, and how this sounded as though they'd gotten a new job...

« Reply #758 on: 24 May, 2016, 12:35:26 am »
It was genuine pleasure, Dean!  They are very good indeed.  A wonderful night.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #759 on: 29 May, 2016, 12:47:12 am »
Unsurprising, to those who know me, I went to a Terrorvision gig, tonight. This one was a little different, though as 1) it was at a venue I have never been to (Holmfirth Picturedrome) and 2) it was TLD's first non-festival gig.

A good night was had by all, I am now really tired.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #760 on: 31 May, 2016, 04:49:30 pm »
I went to the Springsteen gig at Manchester last week.  I enjoyed it but not as much as the two gigs I saw on the 'Wrecking Ball' tour with the big horn section, ace backing singers and guest artists like Tom Morello and John Fogerty.

« Reply #761 on: 31 May, 2016, 10:17:45 pm »
For a change, not the Burning Hell, but Chris T-T in the Games Room at Brudenell Social Club.

I wasn't in love with the support acts, but I've been a bit spoilt recently, and I have an unusually low tolerance for run-of-the-mill bands. Chris enjoyed them, but after a week or two of playing folk clubs you couldn't blame him for enjoying an actual rock band.

It was excellent, funny and sharp, including some lovely interplay with the audience. The dick jokes came out early, around the same time as the AA Milne songs, and just before the angry political songs. It's a good mix of sweetness, swearing and rage. He pushes the audience a bit, too, though I really wanted to ask how well his line about obeying well-spoken middle-class English people for years went down in Scotland...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #762 on: 02 June, 2016, 01:32:28 am »
Just back in from Rory McLeod & The Familiar Strangers at the Green Note in Camden, accompanied by Miss von Brandenburg and Miss von Brandenburg's skoolfriend's teenage daughter Jana, who is doing some sort of work experience thing with a firm of architects in Beckenham.  Mr McLeod was on fine form - the only problem is that his branes work faster than his mouth so he usually only gets halfway through telling a story before shooting off at a tangent.  Some rubbish phone photos:

Getting the audience's attention via the medium of harmonica abuse by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

L-R: the back of Jana's head, Rory McLeod, Richard Sadler (double bass), a random Canadian, Diego Laverde Rojas (Colombian harp & cuatro), Bob Morgan (clarinet & sax) by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Trombone appeared to have been molished by Dyson by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Improvisation on a theme of "Happy Birthday" while Rory changes a string by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

Shirt off for the grand finale! by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

We all thought it was dead good, though Jana was possibly just being polite.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #763 on: 03 June, 2016, 04:53:57 pm »
The Blockheads
A bunch (7, to be precise) of old blokes who really know how to knock out a tune. Lots of the old favourites like In Betweeners. Billericay Dickie, Wake Up and Make Love with Me plus the singles What a Waste, Reasons to be Cheerful and Hit Me with your Rhythm Stick. Derek the Draw does a pretty good job of filling the late Ian Dury's shoes and the rest of the band are as tight as a gnat's chuff, as you might expect. Plus Norman Watt-Roy is a demi-god of bass.

The support act - Three Kings High - put on a good show and are definitely worth checking out.
Pen Pusher

essexian

« Reply #764 on: 05 June, 2016, 07:29:13 am »
Bruce Springsteen Coventry Ricoh Arena.

As I have often said to CBH, length does not always mean quality. So, a 3 hour ride may not be as enjoyable as an hours blast. The same with gigs. Thus, playing for 3 hours and 10 minutes might seem excellent to some people, to me, a bit of editing to remove some of the filler there was: including what seemed to be a 10 minute version of Lulu's "Shout" would have been most welcomed and would have made the gig more enjoyable, rather than at times, a bit of a drag.

As to the sound.... too loud and far too much base for my liking. I shouldn't really expect more from a rugby stadium should I.  :facepalm:

What I should expect however, is not to pay £20 to park in an official car park, and then have to queue for nearly 2 hours to get out of Coventry. Frankly, given the traffic problems there were after the gig, we are never going back to the Ricoh again. It would have been quicker and easier to go to Wembley to see him this evening!

Overall, give me a smaller band playing in a decent venue any day. And yes, I have seen Springsteen twice before so knew what I was going to get.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #765 on: 05 June, 2016, 10:43:17 pm »
I'm just on my way back from Wembley.  Long, yes (3 hours 35) but excellent. Really enjoyable, obviously not the same as an intimate gig in a pub, but excellent just the same.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #766 on: 06 June, 2016, 12:00:36 am »
... and another satisfied Wem-ber-ley customer here, although I was disappointed with the sound quality this time. Astonishing energy and, as ever, some interesting versions. In particular, the songs from The Rising were treated almost as a joyous celebration,  which surprised me.

fuzzy

« Reply #767 on: 20 June, 2016, 02:03:26 pm »
Coldplay at Wembley.

Chuffing good evening :thumbsup:

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #768 on: 20 June, 2016, 03:09:09 pm »
At the start of the month we listened to The Odd Folk at the local arts centre. A band that can sing lyrics so that you can hear them.

On Friday we went to Amped - The end of course gig for the music students at Stroud College. We listened to 4 of the bands - Confetti Underground - Reminiscent of X-Ray Specs: Surf Switch - Hawaiian Shirts, and bad language; Corrupting Jose who were brilliant [/proud Dad] and Cashes Green - An amalgam of Prog Rock and Drum and Bass (Lead guitarist praying Prog, Bass and drummer playing Drum and Bass).

Why is it that modern music has to be so loud that you need to wear ear plugs and lose 40% of the tonal range (it wasn't just us olds wearing the ear plugs) I chose to use one ear plug to appreciate the music and leave one ear working.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #769 on: 20 June, 2016, 04:21:08 pm »
A while ago I resorted to having custom made earplugs for scenarios like that. We are happy to buy sunglasses to protect our eyes.
The earplugs block all frequencies pretty equally, so tonal range isn't affected much.
It is simpler than it looks.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #770 on: 22 June, 2016, 09:43:24 pm »
Explosions in the Sky, Royal Albert Hall.  "Thanks for coming out to see us guys, so we can get to play rooms (sic) like this!"  A 90 minute medley of out-of-this-world post-rock.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #771 on: 22 June, 2016, 10:54:20 pm »
Couldn't we arrange another version of this thread just in case David Cameron ever popped his head around the virtual door? "What's the last pig you went to see?"

Just a thought, we ought to be inclusive.

« Reply #772 on: 25 June, 2016, 10:56:26 am »
Martyn Joseph at The Atkinson in Southport.

http://www.martynjoseph.net/

An excellent singer & guitarist, who can be a bit political & preachy, but not in a bad way.  (There was comment on The Referendum, and an appeal to contribute to his charitable foundation)   A much bigger audience (and better venue) than the last time I saw him.

Mostly his own stuff with a couple of Springsteen covers (he's done an album of these, apparently with The Boss's approval).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IBmmXn1QwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58nBku4C4ag

A few more dates in his current tour, if you can catch him he's worth the time.

25 June 16 DARLEY DALE Peak Concerts, The Whitworth Centre, Station Road, Darley Dale, Derbyshire, DE4 2EQ
 Tel: 01246 860022 | Website: www.peakconcerts.co.uk
30 June 16 BROMSGROVE Bromsgrove Folk Club, Catshill Club, 13 Meadow Road, Catshill, Bromsgrove, B61 0JJ
 Tel: 0121 476 5938. | Website: www.bromsgrovefolkclub.co.uk
16 July 16 SWANFEST The Swan Inn, Ascott -u- Wychwood, Chipping Norton, Oxon, OX7 6AY
 Tel: 01993 831427 or 07870 563299 |  Website: www.wychwoodfolkclub.com
19 July 16 CHURCH VILLAGE, PONTYPRIDD Gartholwg Centre, St. Illtyd Rd, Church Village, Pontypridd CF38 1RQ
 Tel – 01443 219589 | Website: www.gartholwg.org
24 July 16 FOLK BY THE OAK FESTIVAL with Sweet Liberties, Hatfield house, Herts

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

fuzzy

« Reply #773 on: 25 June, 2016, 10:58:33 pm »
Bill Bailey at The Hexagon Reading.

Front row seats. Often a bad choice for a comedy gig. We survived but I did get picked on.

Bill is funny and a good musician.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #774 on: 26 June, 2016, 07:32:51 am »
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Birmingham

It could have all gone horribly wrong.  A 71 year old guitarist dusting off stuff from 20 or 30 years ago.  It could have fallen so far short of those glorious Live in Germany recordings of Blackmore, Dio, Powell, and that ethereal guitar playing, those concerts which were the first I would go to see if someone invented a time machine.

Then they kicked off with Highway Star.  Drums and bass up to scratch, big beefy organ making that wonderful fat Purple sound, and then Ronnie Romero. What a voice!  He carries off both David Coverdale's reptilian vocals and Ronnie James Dio's huge operatic style, especially in Mistreated.  Then the guitar, some notes drawn out until you feel your soul is going to expire and then the fingers move in a blur, all those beautiful sounds from memory being reincarnated on stage.  Modern lighting makes the 'Rainbow' more practical and it lights up one ray at a time during 'Catch the Rainbow'.  The whole crowd sings along with Child in Time and Ronnie Romero lets us sing the first part of the chorus on our own, a 10,000 strong choir before he takes over for Gillanesque screams.  He doesn't even need to introduce Black Night, we just sing along for a while.  They open up the encore with Burn, which I've never seen Blackmore play before, before the final classic riff of Smoke on Water, the whole first verse done a cappella by the crowd. 

The time machine worked, for one unforgettable night.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rainbow-adds-deep-purples-burn-and-soldier-of-fortune-to-setlist-at-birmingham-concert-video/
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)