Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 228379 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #775 on: 26 June, 2016, 11:26:58 pm »
Stornaway in Oxford. Also my son's firsts gig!

We had rain, mud and a tent but it wasn't Glastonbury. On the plus side small venue (the tent) and a couple of hundred people in the audience. Great band live especially in an intimate setting. Very west coast vibe with great harmonies reminiscent of CSN&Y.

All in all a great night but sadly had to leave early as its a school night for son at least

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #776 on: 28 June, 2016, 02:46:05 am »
I saw DakhaBrakha on Tuesday. I have no words for how amazing it was.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #777 on: 09 July, 2016, 11:29:21 pm »
Brian Ferry. Way better than anticipated.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #778 on: 10 July, 2016, 08:06:12 am »
Xavier Rudd in Bristol. I got into his music when he was a multi-instrumentalist. Apart from being talented he campaigns for Australian aboriginal land rights etc. An amazing package.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #779 on: 11 July, 2016, 01:11:18 am »
Wilko Johnson

Apart from being alive, a superstar in the art of being able to make a lot from a little.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #780 on: 11 July, 2016, 09:15:00 am »
Not to mention His Normanness, the man who plays a bass guitar in the manner of Michael Heseltine wrestling a crocogator :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #781 on: 11 July, 2016, 10:33:44 am »
Ah yes...

« Reply #782 on: 12 July, 2016, 07:39:40 pm »
Just seen that Zoe Keating is playing a gig in London next year,  that's going to cost me a weekend away. 

http://www.zoekeating.com/perform.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAHno0eyAb0
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #783 on: 16 July, 2016, 07:33:06 pm »
Jah Wobble. Humble, funny, funky, and legendary. He's touring all over everywhere at the moment.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #784 on: 22 July, 2016, 08:46:29 pm »
So far, White, Lonegirl, Fronteers, Mahala, Gwenno and currently enjoying Eagles.

Best has to be The Fronteers, though. Imagine The Housemartins getting stuck on the wrong side of the pennines during the Madchester days.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #785 on: 22 July, 2016, 09:04:36 pm »
I've just booked to see Peter Hook in Sheffield a week today (the 29th).  Time for some proper dad rock  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #786 on: 09 August, 2016, 12:40:56 pm »
Bryan Adams last Friday in Peterborough, open air by the river, great set and very well attended. Some of the acoustic stuff better than plugged in.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #787 on: 11 August, 2016, 09:35:51 pm »
Great line-up at the Fulford Arms last night, in support of CALM

First up, unobjectionable but mostly forgettable Americana-ish band who should've chucked in a few more foot-stompin' tracks. We were out for a fag for that bit as the first 20 minutes of misery was a bit much. Started with an Em.

Second up, York's answer to Bruce Springsteen and the city's hardest-working gigger, Boss Caine. He's entirely likable and engaging, and if you go down to the Fulford Arms in August, it's highly likely he'll be playing a support set there.

Then, for most people, the main set. Richard Dawson is just so out there, it comes from a completely unexpected direction. I can't really describe it, it was fucking extraordinary, and he even got the talky people in the corner to shut up. One thing I can't get over is the intensity of the performance - whenever I thought he'd gone as far as he could, he amped it up a bit more. Proper Geordie accent, too, and brilliantly engaging inbetween songs.

There's an entire gig here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af7Gk2jY3pQ

N.B. he said he did buy a modern guitar, but got rid of it as the damn thing just stayed in tune...

Poor Charlie Parr had to follow all of that, but he was characteristically relaxed about the prospect. I doubt much fazes him, except possibly the prospect of fame and fortune - my mate reckoned he'd fill much bigger venues, but I doubt he's bothered. He has the wonderfully easy air of someone who's effortlessly brilliant at what he does, which is yer traditional US folk/blues. He managed to follow the unfollowable, and it was a fantastic night.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #788 on: 16 August, 2016, 12:55:41 am »
KT Tunstall supported by The Pictish Trail.

Great fun gig.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #789 on: 21 August, 2016, 10:56:52 pm »
Ministry at the Forum in London last night. Before the show I had it pegged as 'gig of the year apart from Rammstein' (who topped off an excellent weekend of heaviness at Download Paris with a flaming marvellous performance). I was so, so wrong. Rammstein was 'gig of the year apart from Ministry'. Al Jourgensen and his various bandmates over the years have always been good value live. The first UK show (Brixton Academy 1992) burnt itself into my memory- intense, ferocious, setlist the definition of all killer no filler. The last two or three shows lent rather too heavily on newer material, and at the last one Al was not looking or sounding in good shape, pretty much rooted to the mic stand. What a difference. Al seems to have worked out his fans like the newer stuff, but they really, really like the old stuff, and the setlist had an opening stretch of newer ones as warmup before NWO, Just One Fix and (yay!!!) Stigmata. The man himself roamed the stage with vigour and seemed thoroughly revitalised. Gates of Steel (covered on the Surgical Meth Machine album) closed off a terrific evening.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #790 on: 22 August, 2016, 03:53:25 pm »
Last night (well this morning, UK time), Caroline Rose, Shovels and Rope followed by Nathaniel Rateliffe and the Night Sweats at a small, unknown, venue called Red Rock Amphitheatre in Morrison, CO.

A cracking night it was. 
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #791 on: 23 August, 2016, 09:26:25 pm »
Did the weekend at Rewind, Henley. Feature were Tony Hadley, Heather Small, Jimmy Sommerville, Snap, Earth Wind and Fire Experience, Glenn Gregory (Heavenes 17) Marc Almond, Rick Astley, Roland Guest, Andy Bell, Trevor Horne (accompanied by Lol Creme) amongst others and my favourite of the weekend- Adam Ant. Many others featured and Rusty Egan DJ'd during the down time with a few tribute sessions to Bowie and Prince. A good though wet weekend.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #792 on: 25 August, 2016, 07:03:06 am »
Last night at MIMA:  Jeffrey Lewis.

There was food, supplied by The Waiting Room, the best restaurant in the North, which was inevitably stupendous.

The support:  Pelletheadhttps://www.facebook.com/Pelletheadband/app/2405167945

They were awful.  With odd touches of true greatness.  It would've helped if most of the band weren't off their faces.  'Living In Skips' shoulda bin a classic.  Kind of, what happens if you fall asleep listening to The Clash and then sleep-learn all the Roxy Music riffs.  But you never learned to play an instrument.  And then they make you play a gig.  Would not see again.

Jeffrey Lewis:  excellent in that space.  Some of my favourites, some I didn't know, but honed to perfection and wonderful.  Quoth The Pigeon Bupkes, about a pigeon in New York, was priceless.  There's not enough parody in the world.  A new cartoon/film show.  Is this man a genius?
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #793 on: 25 August, 2016, 07:21:39 am »
Jeffrey Lewis. [...]  Is this man a genius?

Yes.  Yes, he is.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #794 on: 29 August, 2016, 07:27:21 pm »
Ruthie, I enjoyed your review of Pellethead :)

In other news, 65 Days of Static are touring again \o/

Currently deciding whether to fork out to go and see them in Brussels so we can avoid Glasgow...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #795 on: 30 August, 2016, 09:14:40 am »
Jeffrey Lewis. [...]  Is this man a genius?

Yes.  Yes, he is.

I concur.  Hence why, even though nobody could come out to play, I went to see him last night on me tod at the Crescent in York.

First support was "Me & My Bro".  2 chaps with guitars singing sweary and snort-inducingly funny stuff.

Second support was Meabh McDonnell.  I quite liked the opening number.  The second one was called 'dyslexic bitch' but I really think, from the lyrics, that she should think about the co-morbidity of dyspraxia.  At one point she said she'd do one more number but the tech said 'three' so she compromised on two before admitting she'd run out of songs.  Hell of a voice.

Jeffrey Lewis had the same line up as when I last saw him in Leeds but with bonus added brother Jack!  Maybe that's why there were a several of numbers from City and Eastern Songs - either way, I was happy to hear 'em.  2 films too!  They were a bit late getting started due to technical issues with one of the keyboards but then delivered a generous set that even had a few of the Yorkies moving in a manner somewhat resembling dancing at times.  And then for a post encore encore he did Don't Be Upset.  HappyCrinkly.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #796 on: 30 August, 2016, 10:07:27 pm »
Blue Oyster Cult at the O2 Forum Kentish Town on 29th July.  Former drummer Albert Bouchard joined in for the play through of the entire Agents of Fortune album on its 40th Anniversary and then for the encore after they did their regular show.  Poignant moment as their original producer and manager Sandy Pearlman had died three days before.  They showed a few signs of slowing down so it might have been one of those last chance to see moments - which was good for CET Junior who has been corrupted by overplaying of Extra-Terrestrial Live in the car.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #797 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:03:17 am »
Nine barrow at the Unicorn Theatre* in Abingdon.

excellent folk due from Dorset playing a mixture of traditional tunes and their own songs. Very much like early Simon and Garfunkel in their harmonies.

*an amazing venue that I hadn't been too since my schooldays [redacted] years ago when we used to put productions on there

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #798 on: 04 September, 2016, 04:27:22 pm »
Among others, these incredibly talented nutters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Em7UmdTWc&index=13&list=PLn09QzYUbGaIOivYujFi7IBVfRJY6sQow

ETA: "If you've enjoyed it, we've been Sheelanagig. If you haven't, we've been Mumford and Sons"
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #799 on: 04 September, 2016, 05:27:27 pm »
Blue Rose Code, at the Vic in Saltburn in the always splendid company of Ruthie otp.  Unfortunately her mate who was going to go (and give us a lift) had to bail due to injury, so we needed to resort to train tactics.  Doors at 8 and when we got there just before 8:30 the support was in full swing.  Nice venue - looks like a decent pub, and the upstairs room (once you find it, having gone through a door with a 'no entry' sign on!) has good sightlines and splendid fairy lights.  Support, 2 beardy blokes with guitars, sounded OK - only caught a couple of numbers and didn't catch the name.  Then the MC announced there would be a break until 9:00 when the next support - his band - would play.  Oh shit.

I asked the nice lady on the door what the running times were and they were expecting Ross on stage around 10.  Or maybe 10:15.  And we would have to leave at 10:25ish for the last train.  Bah.  Ah well, we figured that we'd get either a couple of songs or a song and a really long story.

Second support - somebody and The Murder.  Musically, they made a pretty decent noise.  Lead singer was an 80s goth clearly refusing to grow up... I wondered if I might have known him at school.  :Lyrically, it was music to slit your wrists to.  It got increasingly painful.  I couldn't even bring myself to politely clap the one aboutr dying Syrian refugee children - which left me feeling distinctly UnBritish.  And the bastards ran over.  They stoppped, the MC extracted himself from his corner behind the drummer and said that he couldn't ask for a round of applause for his own band, so we cheered the fairy lights instead before he announced another break before Blue Rose Code would play at 10:05 'but as late as they like'.  After hours is no sodding use to us, matey!  The nice lady next to us offered a lift back to 'boro (I think) but Darlo would have been a touch too far.  We moved to the standing space at the back so as to avoid creating a kerfuffle when we left and pointed out our now free seats to a couple standing there.  The other chap standing told me that the bloke I'd given my seat to was 'quite famous actually' but I haven't got a scooby who it was.

BRC on stage exactly when the MC said, 10:05, and managed to fit 4 songs and a story and the HollyOaks joke into the 22 minutes we had available before we had to skedaddle downstairs, past the rowdy hen party and to the station where there was a pair of gigantic hounds to spoffle before the train back to Darlo for hot chocolate and gossip (not the dancing sort) and a sofa to crash on before my half 7ish train home the next morning.

The Vic gets a thumbs up - although I might look for a B&B another time.  Promoters who schedule doors at eight, start the music at 8:15 and then don't get the headliner on 'til after 10 in a venue at the arse end of a tiny train line get a double thumbs down, even if it is their birthday.

And Ruthie gets a big fat  :-*