Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 228007 times)

Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #75 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:02:57 pm »
Jeffrey Lewis and Peter Stampfel, The Waiting Room, Eaglescliffe

I so nearly went to that!  It's my favourite restaurant, and Crusty was going to take me as a birthday treat, but I over-exfoliated my face on the road and decided against.

Oh, well, at least I know what I missed.  I've been very tempted by some of the gigs there but never get round to it.

It was a good gig.  This geezer seems to have filmed most of it.  I was sat at the back on the comfiest sofa I could find rather than faffing on with a camera, but good work, that beardy man.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p8188Q5iZUU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/p8188Q5iZUU&rel=1</a>

LindaG

« Reply #76 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:30:55 pm »
Thanks for that Dean.  I can't figure out where that is, is it in the back?

« Reply #77 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:37:31 pm »
Aye, behind the bar.  I've not been before - but it's the room between the bar and the bogs.  It was amusing to watch people coming from the restaurant at the front to the loos, and clapping awkwardly as they made their way back.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #78 on: 08 February, 2011, 04:42:48 pm »
British Sea Power at Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff, last night.

They're playing smaller venues than they were last time I saw them, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves just as much. Disappointed not see The Bear though, and a distinct lack of foliage.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #79 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:20:28 am »
Ben Weaver at the Green Note in Camden, last night.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #80 on: 12 February, 2011, 12:41:53 am »
The Singing Adams (lead singer outta the Broken Family Band) + support, York Playhouse Basement, tonight.

Firstly, I've just got back.  I left  York Playhouse at 23.14, and my train departed York Station at 23.20, from platform 10 *pantpant*

The gig was good.  Pleasant support, and the headliners had a good bunch of songs.  Their first time oop north, apparently, but they were no less willing to get us all singing along than when I saw them in Dorset.  Stephen Adams has a very good voice, and the songs were PDG.  There were a couple of wig-outs where the guitarist seemed to be pushing the point a bit..

Deffo a band worth seeing.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #81 on: 13 February, 2011, 12:45:24 pm »
Last night.  I went to see a Pink Floyd tribute band ' The Floyd Effect' at The Secombe Theatre in Sutton.  They were an unknown quantity so I wasn't sure what to expect.

They performed for three hours solid apart from a 15 minute break.  Managed to fit in pretty much all the biggies including Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety in the second half.

The venue is a tad downmarket and I did chuckle to myself when they finished with Comfortably Numb, given how my botty was feeling from the rather tired seating.

Great evening's entertainment and the best £12 I have spent in a very long time.  I would definitely go again.

« Reply #82 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:09:41 pm »
August 2009...  :-\  Wembley Stadium U2 360

P1010733c on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Chris S

« Reply #83 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:16:22 pm »
The Edge seems to have gone straight to the gig from redecorating his lounge  :D.

« Reply #84 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:38:07 pm »
 ;D   DIY chic...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #85 on: 03 March, 2011, 10:54:14 pm »
Ask me on easter monday and it will be 2manydjs.

Cant wait  :P

Simonb

« Reply #86 on: 03 March, 2011, 10:57:32 pm »
Other than festivals, the last one I went to was Richard Hawley at the De La Warr Pavilion -- sublime.

« Reply #87 on: 14 March, 2011, 09:36:19 pm »
Courtney Pine in Liverpool last night... rather good  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #88 on: 26 March, 2011, 08:29:31 pm »
Alabama 3 unplugged last night with Mrs Dan. Good fun.

« Reply #89 on: 26 March, 2011, 11:41:42 pm »
Funeral For a Friend, O2 Birmingham, last Wednesday (It's my daughter's thing).  F'in loud, I mean really F'in loud and very very sweary... wierdly, the emo-like pierced followers were one of the 'nicest' audiences I can remember!  Or maybe they took pity on the old fat bloke at the back.
Prior to that, Paramore at the NEC.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #90 on: 28 March, 2011, 04:16:59 pm »
Levellers and the Wonderstuff at Brixton Academy last Saturday. They did Levelling the Land all the way through (that's the point of the tour, it's 20 years old  :o)

Fantastic! I've seen the Levs loads of times, never get bored  :) First band I ever went to see and still the best I reckon.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #91 on: 28 March, 2011, 04:52:49 pm »
...Levelling the Land ...20 years old  :o

:o :o :o

*feels old*
Getting there...

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #92 on: 29 March, 2011, 04:23:01 pm »
So few interesting (to me) bands mean that I haven't been to a gig since going to a gig in Texas over a year ago whilst out for my friends wedding. That was a Scottish band 'We Were Promised Jetpacks'. Awesome gig as it turned out.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #93 on: 29 March, 2011, 04:38:26 pm »
Saw the levellers at the Heb Celt Fest 2 years ago  :thumbsup:

Last time I saw them prior to that must have been 1993 at Wolves Civic - a roadie gave Deanne a free kids t-shirt (she was very pregnant at the time and sat the concert out in the balcony whilst I joined the mosh pit)

Levelling the Land is a classic album that still gets a lot of play at 'Chez Windy'

Last gig for me was the Wiyos at An Lanntair, Stornoway, 2 weekends ago

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #94 on: 29 March, 2011, 04:39:59 pm »
Last band I saw live was Show of Hands in Hyde Park ;D

There was a samba band on after that, with some scantily-clad young ladies dancing.  I don't know what the band were called.
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #95 on: 29 March, 2011, 06:01:35 pm »
Monsters of Rock 1982 at Castle Donnington

Status Quo
Gillan
Saxon
Hawkwind
Uriah Heep
Anvil

My memories of the event get mixed up with "This is Spinal Tap" but my overriding memory is of trying to find my mate's Mini, parked in one of the many surrounding fields, at night, amongst about 2000 other Minis when the gig was over.

I probably went to more gigs after that but I can't remember them, my mate was a DJ on Piccadilly radio in Manchester so we got freebies to see lots of bands but I don't particularly like live gigs.

LEE

« Reply #96 on: 29 March, 2011, 06:07:49 pm »
The Edge seems to have gone straight to the gig from redecorating his lounge  :D.

These young people today.

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #97 on: 29 March, 2011, 09:58:14 pm »
Last stand up gig: Doctor and the Medics, Swansea University Union, 1986.

Good old fashioned hippy band when they played live. I'd graduated a couple of years earlier (from another university); it seemed really strange to be back amongst immature students necking beer, me being a staid working chap by this time.

Last sit down gig (do they even count as gigs?): either Christie Moore at St.David's hall, Cardiff, or Steeleye Span at what appeared to be a boomin' big sports hall, Kiddermisnter (Maddy Prior's voice wasn't quite what it had been but you could tell it had been really good), both early 1990s.

Then children, a move to west Wales and time devoted to work, home and garden intervened... 

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #98 on: 30 March, 2011, 08:27:42 am »
Elbow in Cardiff. Excellent uplifting gig. They made a large venue feel incredibly intimate. Guy needs to loose some weight I feel. Adrian Jones will probably never be quite the same again.

« Reply #99 on: 30 March, 2011, 11:09:53 am »
John Grant Exeter Phoenix, last night.
Very good, if different from most of what I've seem before.
Strongly recommend the Queen of Denmark album.