Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 227256 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #100 on: 30 March, 2011, 12:08:13 pm »
Monsters of Rock 1982 at Castle Donnington

Status Quo
Gillan
Saxon
Hawkwind
Uriah Heep
Anvil

My memories of the event get mixed up with "This is Spinal Tap" but my overriding memory is of trying to find my mate's Mini, parked in one of the many surrounding fields, at night, amongst about 2000 other Minis when the gig was over.

I was at that one!  I don't think that was the year that my idiot mate Iain "The Duck" Smith failed to switch off the lights on his Mini and flattened the battery though.  Four people trying to sleep in a Mini is a Bad Thing, especially when one of them earlier fell over, hurt her knee and won't stop whimpering :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

« Reply #101 on: 30 March, 2011, 12:37:06 pm »
John Grant Exeter Phoenix, last night.
Very good, if different from most of what I've seem before.
Strongly recommend the Queen of Denmark album.

I'd never heard of him until I saw him on "Later with Jools".  I immediately got the album (as you may have realised if you read my signature line carefully)

LEE

« Reply #102 on: 30 March, 2011, 12:42:28 pm »

Status Quo
Gillan
Saxon
Hawkwind
Uriah Heep
Anvil

My memories of the event get mixed up with "This is Spinal Tap" but my overriding memory is of trying to find my mate's Mini, parked in one of the many surrounding fields, at night, amongst about 2000 other Minis when the gig was over.

I was at that one!  I don't think that was the year that my idiot mate Iain "The Duck" Smith failed to switch off the lights on his Mini and flattened the battery though.  Four people trying to sleep in a Mini is a Bad Thing, especially when one of them earlier fell over, hurt her knee and won't stop whimpering :(

My favourite moment was when Tommy Vance appealed to the "good nature of the rock audience" to stop them throwing plastic cider bottles full of pee at some of the lesser bands. 
Five seconds later the sky went dark with plastic cider bottles full of pee aimed at Tommy Vance. 

The sound of his turntables under the barrage was a forerunner of the Hip-Hop scratching sound to follow just a few years later, ironically a sound that would consign these bands to history.

SteveS

• What's over the next hill?
« Reply #103 on: 30 March, 2011, 12:44:24 pm »
Moishe's Bagel at the Theatr Mwldan in Cardigan 25th Feb. Lots of new material, even better than last time I saw them. Recommend the new CD, 'Uncle Roland's Flying Machine'.

rob

« Reply #104 on: 31 March, 2011, 09:13:52 pm »
Elbow in Cardiff. Excellent uplifting gig. They made a large venue feel incredibly intimate. Guy needs to loose some weight I feel. Adrian Jones will probably never be quite the same again.

Just as good at the O2 on Monday night.   The between song banter is always entertaining.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #105 on: 01 April, 2011, 02:52:32 pm »
Went to see Soft Hearted Scientists at Clwb Ifor Bach, what I actually heard was Soft Hearted Scientists under a load of chatter!

Faith, hope and gluttony.........

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #106 on: 05 April, 2011, 01:39:23 am »
Elbow in Cardiff. Excellent uplifting gig. They made a large venue feel incredibly intimate. Guy needs to loose some weight I feel. Adrian Jones will probably never be quite the same again.

Just as good at the O2 on Monday night.   The between song banter is always entertaining.

Heh, I was there too.  The banter was good, yes, although the O2 is a pretty soulless venue.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #107 on: 05 April, 2011, 06:32:25 am »

Status Quo
Gillan
Saxon
Hawkwind
Uriah Heep
Anvil

My favourite moment was when Tommy Vance appealed to the "good nature of the rock audience" to stop them throwing plastic cider bottles full of pee at some of the lesser bands. 
Five seconds later the sky went dark with plastic cider bottles full of pee aimed at Tommy Vance. 

The sound of his turntables under the barrage was a forerunner of the Hip-Hop scratching sound to follow just a few years later, ironically a sound that would consign these bands to history.

I went to the one in (I think) '96 when Skid Row came on and were so dire that the "Flight of the Piss Bottles" started earlier than normal.  At the end of the song, urine still flying everywhere Sebastian Bach says "This is cool, I'm not sure what it means but it is so cool" What it means, sunny Jim, is that you are shit.

ETA: It was '95, not '96
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #108 on: 05 April, 2011, 09:44:25 am »
I went to the one in (I think) '96 when Skid Row came on and were so dire that the "Flight of the Piss Bottles" started earlier than normal.  At the end of the song, urine still flying everywhere Sebastian Bach says "This is cool, I'm not sure what it means but it is so cool" What it means, sunny Jim, is that you are shit.

I was there too. Don't remember that, but then I'd rather not remember Skid Row! :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #109 on: 05 April, 2011, 08:06:18 pm »

I was there too. Don't remember that, but then I'd rather not remember Skid Row! :)

Really? I remember the rain had just stopped, SB ran on stage from the left and nearly exited right when he slipped on puddled water.

They did about 3 songs then the bottles started.  TBF I think the majority of people that were there only wanted to see them do their one "hit" (18 and life)and were pissed off that they were doing loads of other crap before playing it....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #110 on: 05 April, 2011, 10:32:25 pm »
I went to the one in (I think) '96 when Skid Row came on and were so dire that the "Flight of the Piss Bottles" started earlier than normal.  At the end of the song, urine still flying everywhere Sebastian Bach says "This is cool, I'm not sure what it means but it is so cool" What it means, sunny Jim, is that you are shit.

Really? I remember the rain had just stopped, SB ran on stage from the left and nearly exited right when he slipped on puddled water.

They did about 3 songs then the bottles started.  TBF I think the majority of people that were there only wanted to see them do their one "hit" (18 and life)and were pissed off that they were doing loads of other crap before playing it....

Yup, that would have been one of the 'pay as little attention as possible to whoever's on stage' bits for me..

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #111 on: 15 April, 2011, 10:16:55 am »
Little Miss Higgins at the Green Note in Camden last night.  The lady's singing is spine-tingling, the guitar playing of both LMH and partner Foy Taylor was very special, the between-song banter was funny as a funny thing and the venue even has waitress service so you don't miss anything by going to the bar for more BEER.  Also, Foy's hat is way cool.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #112 on: 15 April, 2011, 11:00:37 am »
my earlier post is wrong.
mrs. jogler has reminded me that we saw Marc Bolan at The Regent Theartre in Hanley not long before  his fatal rta

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #113 on: 20 May, 2011, 10:48:30 am »
Explosions In The Sky at the Roundhouse last night.

Awesome :thumbsup:

« Reply #114 on: 20 May, 2011, 12:06:39 pm »
Git.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #115 on: 20 May, 2011, 01:38:05 pm »
If it's any consolation my feet still hurt from too much standing up for a man of my dimensions and age...

Edit:  Apparently they're back in Blighty in January.  Only gig announced thus far is Jan 27th at the Brixton Academy.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #116 on: 22 May, 2011, 05:30:51 pm »
Rush, in the Newcastle Metro Radio Arena, on their Time Machine tour.  The stage design was excellent and typically goofy, and Alex's backline in particular was beautifully executed.  The new video shorts for the big screen were hilarious; I had purposely stayed away from that YouTube and the forums, to keep it all a surprise.  :)

The mix in the first half was a wee bit mushy but seemed better after the interval.  I think there was just one wrong note played in the whole performance, and one pedal note that stuck on for longer than it should've.  But then, this is Rush and one naturally expects absolute perfection.  And they jolly well delivered near perfection.

Good crowd too.  I spent the evening next to two overenthusiastic guys from Dublin who somehow managed to make their beer last the entire first half.  I think by the end of the show they'd also lost their voices from shouting "Rush!!  F*** yeah!!  Wooo!!" and so on.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #117 on: 22 May, 2011, 05:38:55 pm »

Alabama 3, Newcastle. A long time ago, a bit too loud. A very diverse audience, some of them may well have been nice people.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #118 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:54:04 am »

Alabama 3, Newcastle. A long time ago, a bit too loud. A very diverse audience, some of them may well have been nice people.

One of them was probably me!

« Reply #119 on: 07 June, 2011, 09:21:58 pm »
Martin Taylor at the Ropery in Barton.

Extremely good jazz guitarist  in a small intimate setting. A great night

« Reply #120 on: 08 June, 2011, 12:01:51 am »
Chris Wood at the Forum in Basingstoke, can't sit more than 120 people and he could have coped without the mic!

A great folk song writer in the traditional line and a decent guitarist with it. Songs like "Hollow Point" need no introduction, but the back story to "Two Widows Walking" adds lots to the song.

« Reply #121 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:40:55 am »
BB King at Manchester Apollo last night.

Absolutely fantastic. The man is a true legend.

And none of the shirt selection from Glastonbury either, the whole band were dressed in dinner jackets and black tie.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #122 on: 26 June, 2011, 11:20:17 am »
Take That on Thursday. Amazing.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #123 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:56:55 pm »

And none of the shirt selection from Glastonbury either, the whole band were dressed in dinner jackets and black tie.

I have mentioned before that, of all the greats I worked with, it is only BB King who I asked for an autograph.  He seemed so frail then (though not especially old, but having had an intense life) that I couldn't believe he would ever be able to tour again.

That was c.1985.  And here he is, still on the road, and still making mesmerising music, in his late eighties.
Getting there...

« Reply #124 on: 26 June, 2011, 10:06:30 pm »

I have mentioned before that, of all the greats I worked with, it is only BB King who I asked for an autograph.  He seemed so frail then (though not especially old, but having had an intense life) that I couldn't believe he would ever be able to tour again.

That was c.1985.  And here he is, still on the road, and still making mesmerising music, in his late eighties.

Absolutely. And according to the Tshirt I bought :thumbsup: this years tour has nearly 50 dates.  He ain't slowing down much!